Professor Paddle: Can't find a river vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Can't find a river Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dave Replybullet Topic: Can't find a river
    Posted: 26 Feb 2010 at 1:45pm
Here is a stupid question.
I cant find the information for Robe anywhere? It isnt called Robe on the river page, is there a way to search for runs that are not named by thier river name? If not maybe we should have some sort of a search engine?
Also the default font of 1 hurts my eyes, it is so small...3 is much better.
Nomad
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 26 Feb 2010 at 1:47pm
I finally found it but had to use Google to do so...pain in the a--
Nomad
Larry
Super Looper
Super Looper
Mr. Generosity

Quote Larry Replybullet Posted: 26 Feb 2010 at 2:01pm
The river is S. Fork of the Stillaguamish. And the section above Robe would be more suited for you.

"If you have to ask, you can't afford it."
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 26 Feb 2010 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by dave

Getting old sucks huh Dave?
Sure?
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 26 Feb 2010 at 2:15pm
Err.. I think you meant Dave is starting to get old.

Or at least his posts are
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 26 Feb 2010 at 2:17pm

I believe it says in parenthesis "Robe Canyon Run". There's always the guidebook, you know...

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 26 Feb 2010 at 3:33pm
PP only shows the parent river in the rivers page. That is a problem if you are looking for a run and dont know the river name.

I am thinking about stepping up to Robe at the 5.2ft level. Dave said you can portage most of the hard stuff if you dont feel comfortable. I am hoping to go down with him my first time down, because we are about the same skill level and he respects that. Not like other boaters that like to talk you into doing things you are not comfortable with.
Nomad
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 26 Feb 2010 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by Tobin

Originally posted by dave

Getting old sucks huh Dave?
Yes, it does suck when it gets hard to read the fine print!
Nomad
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 26 Feb 2010 at 7:12pm
There's some powerful water in there, so be careful (assuming you are serious, it's hard to tell). I would recommend a few intermediary steps before going in. I would try to construct a steady diet of Heavy Class IV for a few weeks leading up to your trip.

Go down and Run the Truss. Eat Icicle for breakfast for a few weekends. I wouldn't go into Robe planning on portaging a lot- it'll make for a long day for you and those you are with.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
RPMMAX
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote RPMMAX Replybullet Posted: 26 Feb 2010 at 8:05pm
Mabey Dave should do the Farmlands, people drown on the
Truss
RPMMAX
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 26 Feb 2010 at 8:45pm
Good point, Bill!

Farmlands (2-3x), then Truss(2-3x), then Robe!!

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 26 Feb 2010 at 10:44pm
I just here everyone say robe is fun, and I need some fun. But now everyone says scary stuff. So I will work on easier stuff for a while. Plus, I feel I am as good or just the same skill as some people I kayak with that do Robe. Certainly more time and years on the river than most.
Nomad
chipmaney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote chipmaney Replybullet Posted: 27 Feb 2010 at 12:19pm
i agree with JP, dave. you don't go from paddling the MM and Green and SFSno to running Robe. It's awesome that you want to step it up, but there is a progression....I spent the last  2 years running stuff like Foss and Farmlands with an eye toward the Truss. When I get comfortable on the Truss, then maybe Robe...
sitting all alone on a mountain by a river that has no end
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 27 Feb 2010 at 12:35pm

yeah, it's important to have some sort of a realistic perspective. I'm pretty sure you've hiked in there, Dave, so I think you've seen the first three rapids. Robe makes the Green Truss seem pretty casual, not that it is.

If you go back to the Bennett Book (I still think that book is mostly spot on with most of its descriptions), the Robe description is one of the ones with the disclaimer "Not for part-time Class V paddlers". I know I'm a conservative paddler, but I do get out quite a bit, on a wide variety of what this state has to offer. There are days that I go in there and shred it up, the Robe Gnomes grinning and giving me High Fives.

There are also days where I'm not up to running Robe, and days that I'm game, but enter the canyon with caution. Sometimes the Gnomes are in a foul mood and they slap me down. This is after 30 some trips in there . Perhaps because of so many trips. The law of averages can catch up with a paddler in there. There was a brief zenith when I had become familiar enough with the run that I felt really casual in there. Since then enough things have occured that I've returned to a more cautionary approach.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 8:41am
I say just get some Metal! and follow Daves line!
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
STLboater
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote STLboater Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 9:03am
if you like being a baseball flying into a catchers mitt...
Kayak Academy Whitewater Instructor
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 9:36am
Dave, if you have a crew that wants to make a full day of Robe and is willing to look lots and wait for folks to portage things, it might not be a bad idea. That said, some things might be so easy to portage. You might have more actual fun doing something easier, like Vance Creek on the OP or Clear Creek up north with less critical prescision and more carefree lines. Don't get hurt Dave!! I like your posts. :O What the 2 harderst things you've run?

ps I have no idea where that rivers page is, either.
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 10:26am
Thanks,

I am going to do some easier creeking first. But I do want to spend the day in there someday and just take it real slow to get to know the run.

The hardest runs I have done so far are Clear Creek in Colorado (did some class V but portaged most of the really hard V stuff, but still a most difficult creek), Icicle creek (log limbo section, twice), FITW (at different levels, lots of times for a few years now), Cooper (ran this several times at lower flows).

21 years now of all around any class IV and III local rivers in Washington, Colorado and Oregon.
Nomad
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 10:36am
I don't know Clear Creek in CO, but Icicle and FITW are both good training, not to mention the Cooper is great for working on different types of boofing. Boofing is a vital skill for Robe, as well as a fast roll. I feel very confident when I have a bomber rool that's quick. Playboating is great cross training. The number one cross-skill you get is flip-over/roll-up/repeat. Work all the holes and waves you can. Eventually you will develop your own quick little tricks. Love to help you out with it, Dave. Good luck, bro!
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 11:42am
here's a little vid showing off the finer boofs, though some things have changed since this was shot....

Edited by huckin harms - 01 Mar 2010 at 11:46am
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 1:42pm
I suggest you get more comfortable on Upper Ici at  flows HIGHER than you did it (last year, I think- that trip I was on with you). Lower flows on Upper Ici don't approximate Robe's PUSH.

Pretty much you should go in there with an attitude that you're going to run Last Sunshine. It may be the biggest move in there, but  it's not the hardest rapid by any means. Even the no name rapids can match the challenge of the harder, named rapids. I ran Robe with someone who styled Sunshine and then got baddly hurt further down-almost at the end of the hardest drops. It was one of the major rapids. We had to hike him out and I went back in the next day with Rob to get my boat and his (Rob paddled the injured guy's boat out).

Not trying to discourage your aspirations at all- just want to provide some perspective- something often lacking in the sport today. "GO FOR IT!" sounds great until you are in a remote canyon trying to assess if some one can get up and walk, if they have spinal injury, ect. And just because something gets run 200 times without incident doesn't mean that something horrible can't happen on the 201st, 308th, of 475th time it is run. Your obligation to yourself as a paddler is to make sure to the extent you can that you are not that paddler when the number comes up.

You want to be boating STRONG in the days and weeks leading up to your first trip into Robe Canyon. And One trip is hardly enough to "get to know it". More like 6-10, provided you run them all in a compressed chunk of time. Otherwise it will take more trips if they are spread out throughout the year. At least that's what others have told me. I got to learn if fairly quick by lots of back to back trips in there.

That said it's a fine run. Lots of big moves. It challenges your ability to paddle with precision in turbulent, chaotic water. Something about the way the rocks lay in the current, I guess. Ici by comparrison seems more orderly with its currents and how they flow- the current adheres to more of a consistant pattern that doesn't throw you off line as much. Robe is surgy and boily in a peculiar way.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
chipmaney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote chipmaney Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 4:42pm
I have seen this video before and watched it for pleasure. This time I watched it to determine the required skill level.  Skill level > Current Chipper level...

I for one take the position that if I can't paddle most of the river (say, for example, everything but BB and BZ on the Truss), then what's the point? I ain't gonna out there to walk down the bank. I would rather go paddle something where I can stay in my boat and GET BETTER....

Robe isn't going anywhere and I know at some point I will be ready....until that time comes, I would rather go paddle something on which I can stay in my boat and GET BETTER....
sitting all alone on a mountain by a river that has no end
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 5:31pm
That's how I see things, too, Chipper. I don't see the appeal in boating over your head, but I see people doing it all the time. I think it retards your growth as a paddler. It's not really possible to imprint good technique on harder runs. It's much better to imprint good technique on easier water where the consequences aren't so huge, and then take your good technique to the harder runs.

I know a lot of paddlers for example with sh+tty ass rolls who boat really hard stuff. If it takes more than 2 attempts to roll up, you should go back to the pool, or stay off of IV+ and V until you work the bugs out. Say for example you run some easy drop above, let's say, the approach to a waterfall and you flip...

To more clearly address your original problem "can't find a river" (BTW if I wanted to be more a dick than I already am, I could have had a whole lotta fun with that comment...see examples below)

Every river's proper river name has (most of) the runnable sections listed after it:
they are even numbered.

The one for Robe is #3 for example and stated thus: "Verlot to Granite Falls (Robe Canyon Run)"
If you couldn't find that, you weren't looking.

"Can't find a river? In Washington?! Man, kayaking must not be your sport!"
-or-
"Can't find a river? It's safe to say that Old Man Robe Can't hurt you!"
the possibilites are endless...
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 5:38pm
Well, I dont know. I, for one, am comfortable on Truss. But I am not comfortable running BB. I just dont like it. My skills are there and I am confident when I am on the run. I scout it and I see the line. I just dont like the consequences. So, Im not going to just not run the entire run because of one drop out of many, many quality drops. I have met countless people who love LWS but they dont run Spirit and sometimes dont run Stovepipe. Theres a rapid on Ernie's that I probably wont be running for a long while, but I love the rest of it. Seems a bit harsh to me. So what then? Do we just forgo all these quality runs because of one ledge or rapid?
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by chipmaney

I for one take the position that if I can't paddle most of the river (say, for example, everything but BB and BZ on the Truss), then what's the point? I ain't gonna out there to walk down the bank.

I think you missed Chipper's Qualifier. Maybe he didn't craft his sentences perfectly to make it clear, but I think he meant that if he were to portage Meatbal, Bob's, Double Drop, and Zigzag Canyon IN ADDITION to Big Bro and BZ, what's the point.

Hell, I don't always drop Big Bro. Ran BZ once, and I'm open to the possibility of running it again, but it's a wait n see kinda thing to be decided just upstream.

Still waiting to feel the magic that will compel me to get "Spiritual"...
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version