Professor Paddle: Truth? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Chit Chat
 Professor Paddle : General : Chit Chat
Message Icon Topic: Truth? Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Online Status: Offline
  Quote James Replybullet Topic: Truth?
    Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 7:48am
I am going through a class right now and one of our assignments is to ask people what the definition of Truth is, or simply what Truth is. I know the internet is a bad place to pose this type of question since you can just google or yahoo your way to someone elses answer, but I am curious to hear responses from boaters.

What is Truth?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Courtney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Whitewater,sea kayaking, snowboarding, backpacking.

Quote Courtney Replybullet Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 8:11am
The opposite of lie.
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 8:50am
many kinds of truth: personal truth, relative truth, universal truth, PP truth!!!

truth -

1.     the true or actual state of a matter: He tried
        to find out the truth.
2.     a verified or indisputable fact, proposition,
        principle, or the like: mathematical truths.
3.     actuality or actual existence.
4.     an obvious or accepted fact; truism; platitude.
5.       ideal or fundamental reality apart from and
        transcending perceived experience: the basic
        truths of life.

I like 5 the best.
rokmnky
McNasty
McNasty

Quote rokmnky Replybullet Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 9:20am
perception and faith

the truth can be a lie to the uninformed
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 9:21am
Truth is being able to tell an individual information and having confidence in your answer, and know that answer will not be contradicted. I also think truth is limited by how much you know, for instance; if I have a bit of information that to my knowledge is true but in reality can be contradicted it still maintains it's truthfulness, it only becomes a lie if there is intent to give misinformation.
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
Sisu
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Sisu Replybullet Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 9:35am
I always thought this quote from Plato was pretty much dead on. "The philosopher is in love with truth, that is, not with the changing world of sensation, which is the object of opinion, but with the unchanging reality which is the object of knowledge."
Or, if you are a fan of the Boston Celtics like me, “The Truth” is Paul Pierce.

chipmaney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote chipmaney Replybullet Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 10:08am

Originally posted by water wacko

many kinds of truth: personal truth, relative truth, universal truth, PP truth!!!

truth -

1.     the true or actual state of a matter: He tried
        to find out the truth.
2.     a verified or indisputable fact, proposition,
        principle, or the like: mathematical truths.
3.     actuality or actual existence.
4.     an obvious or accepted fact; truism; platitude.
5.       ideal or fundamental reality apart from and
        transcending perceived experience: the basic
        truths of life.

I like 5 the best.

i think james meant was truth means to you, not what the dictionary says....

in any case, these definiitions you provided seem to be grounded in "reality", whatever the f**k that is....in any case, seems like a pretty narrow scope for defining truth in the context in which i believe james to be asking this question.

truth is relative.....the "actual state of a matter" may be interpreted uniquely by individuals....perception is reality....it's a cliche, but it's true....everybody has his/her own truth, and opposing views may not necessarily make one of them untrue

eg, that truck is green...to a colorblind person, however, that truck is a shade of gray....

in fact (haha), green is just a word constructed by us humans to represent a state. therefore, it's open to personal interpretation by each human.  therefore, there is not truth in words....

truth comes from within....only a very few desire to or are capable of reaching into that place....the place inside where "god" lives....truth lies in the soul
sitting all alone on a mountain by a river that has no end
Jimmy
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote Jimmy Replybullet Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 10:09am
The only truths are physical facts such as the length of something, the weight of sometheng, etc.

The truth about more general things is really more honest opinion than truth.  Five people can see the same thing but all 5 will recall seeing something slightly different, and time goes on the difference will grow.
septimus prime
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote septimus prime Replybullet Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Jimmy

The only truths are physical facts such as the length of something, the weight of sometheng, etc.

The truth about more general things is really more honest opinion than truth.  Five people can see the same thing but all 5 will recall seeing something slightly different, and time goes on the difference will grow.

Not sure about that, Jimmy. I mean how accurate are your measuring instruments? What about fractals. Look at a coast line. It is 1000 km, but really it approaches infinite length if you were to actually measure around every bay, delta or even grain of sand.

Jon Shell Bee
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 10:33am
Dave Grippo of the Giant Country Horns is also known as the "Truth"
MORE RAIN PLEASE
dblanchard
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote dblanchard Replybullet Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 1:15pm
There is no truth, only perception.

It is hard to qualify this, but equally hard to disqualify it. Thus the verity of the statement. I perceive this to be true, and since it can't be sufficiently contradicted, it remains true until such sufficient contradiction is provided.

This echos a little of the coastline argument, as well as chipmaney's comment. I usually apply this statement to "real life" where one person is convinced of one thing, and another person is convinced of something contradictory, in part or in whole, and the two views cannot be reconciled, except to agree that there is no truth, just perception.

Still, I think this does apply to the hard world at large. Clearly, discovering that the earth orbits the sun didn't create the truthfulness of it; the geocentrics were dead wrong on that. But, until it was proven, that was the truth as we knew it. Fortunately, some inspiring minds did not accept that "truth" and took it upon themselves to discover a newer, brighter truth, an even truer truth. Can we all agree on a heliocentric solar system? I think so, but even then, we don't all agree about how it actually works.

The arguments for dark matter are more than sufficiently compelling for me, but not everyone is on board with it. For me, it is the truth, and I won't be dissuaded until some other sufficiently qualified argument proves it to be wrong. For the here and now, dark matter exists for me. If it doesn't for you, I hope you are hard at work disproving it for me. In the meantime, I'm busy disproving the "truths" that I don't accept.

If there is any honest truth, it is in the striving to find truths, not in the truths themselves.

D
Monk
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Monk Replybullet Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 1:32pm
D

All of your rebuttals of truth are in fact rebuttals of perception of truth.  Truth is that that exists regardless of human perception but that we occasionally can articulate, i.e. the heliocentric solar system was not made "true" by human recognition, but did in fact exist despite our prior confusion.
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Monk

All of your rebuttals of truth are in fact rebuttals of perception of truth.  Truth is that that exists regardless of human perception but that we occasionally can articulate, i.e. the heliocentric solar system was not made "true" by human recognition, but did in fact exist despite our prior confusion.

Is it truth if it can't be perceived? Or can't be perceived to be true? 

I once a had a class in which we spent a week dedicated to trying to find consensus on definitions of "true" "just" "moral" and "right"  - one word per week, a serious effort.

No consensus was ever achieved, even on "moral" which was perhaps the easiest of these.  Probably one of the most seminal moments in my education, and an experience I think about quite a bit. 

dblanchard and monk's statemates above indicate the difficulty here.  What good is a truth if we can't agree that it is a truth?  And how true can it be, if it's inherent accuracy is so difficult to discern?

Being a lefty flake, I enjoy reading carlos casteneda.  Not because I think what he says is literally true, but because I see in his narrative a fundamental truth: each of us experiences a reality no one else can ever absolutely know.  And thus the world presents different facets to us all, and quite literally, we do not all live in the same world, in a very real sense. 

That's why the statement that dlbanchard's points are about perception misses the point in my opinion.  Because, as humans, at the most fundamental level, we are instruments of perception.  We perceive.  We can know nothing beyond what we can base on perception.  And so this platonic notion of absolute inviolable external truth becomes moot, because unless we can perceive it, we cannot know it or know that it is indeed the truth. 

And that's the truth son.
Monk
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Monk Replybullet Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 2:27pm
I would argue that our inability to "know it" is irrelevant.  Truth exists regardless of our knowing it.  Truth doesn't give a damn about our perceptions.  Sure, the human experience is one of perception, and we are all alone in our perceptions, and so on.  But truth as human perception is nauseatingly anthropocentric.

I'm reminded of the Edward Abbey statement in Desert Solitaire, roughly paraphrased, if you throw a rock at a metaphysicist's head and he ducks, he's a liar.
dblanchard
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote dblanchard Replybullet Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 2:28pm
Sure, I'll accept that there are states or conditions that exist whether we know that they do or not, and that they are true, and even that they impact our lives whether we recognize it or not, but is that really any more true to us as individuals than our perceptions are?

Many of the mathematical truths that we accept, are only true within our common frames of reference. As an example, exiting into the non-Euclidean universe, the notion of parallelism is redefined to local conditions. The non-Euclidean geometries are no more or less true than Euclidean geometry, given a suitable context.

The validity of non-Euclidian geometries wasn't widely accepted until the 1800s, but they have always been true, within their respective contexts. I'm nearly out of my depth here, but I remember/understand enough to stand by what I've said.

I love that this topic got posted, and that it has been productive. Monk, I welcome your comment, and agree with it, but I think that unless a "truth" can be articulated (by someone, not necessarily me), it remains dubious. Such may be the case with my initial statement, so maybe someone else can better articulate its truthfulness.

D
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 2:32pm
Nice response monk.  I suspect down the path you are heading, one quickly approaches the topic of faith, which I would guess underlies James' question. 

Your take on truth reminds me of President Clinton: "It depends on what the definition of 'is' is."

And I suppose you are right, but in terms of human experience, I'm not sure it means anything.
Monk
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Monk Replybullet Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 2:33pm
Foam boating = truth.
Monk
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Monk Replybullet Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 2:34pm
And, irony of ironies, I'm an atheist!
dblanchard
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote dblanchard Replybullet Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 2:42pm
I was slow submitting my last comment, which I intended to fit in between Monk's 6:32 post and Slickhorn's 7:10 post.

Monk, I agree that not knowing something doesn't make if false. I was trying to cover that with the geo/heliocentric discussion.

I was also thinking that in the case where someone simply guesses that something is a certain way, and that it actually is that way, he/she doesn't necessarily have the truth. To have the truth of something, you have to know it in some way that goes beyond coincidentally guessing it correctly.
dblanchard
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote dblanchard Replybullet Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 2:44pm
Still, truth is truth whether it is known or not.
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by dblanchard

Still, truth is truth whether it is known or not.

what makes it so?  what distinguishes it from untruth?
dblanchard
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote dblanchard Replybullet Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 7:39pm
My arguments have become circular, in any two-dimensional plane at least.

I revise my initial statement to "Even though there are universal truths, independent of contexts, localities and time, perception trumps them every time."

To answer the question of what make a truth true, whether it is known to be true or not, let's consider the classic 3-4-5 triangle. Playing specifically in a 2D plane, and with the necessary precision, a triangle with sides measuring three units, four units and five units, the greatest interior angle will always be a right angle. This was true before anyone knew it. It will continue be true even if everyone stops believing it is is true. When I teach it to my kids, they will perhaps first accept it on faith, but then we'll go out to the garage and prove it by measuring a bunch of things, including what appear to right angles, but are actually off a bit because our builder messed up a bunch. In the beginning, they will have, perhaps, simply accepted it because I said it was so. At this point, they won't have known it was true. After experimenting, they will have learned the truth of it. Again, this was true before they ever heard of it, after they had been told, and still after they had actually learned it.

What makes it true, what distinguishes it from untruth, the fact that that it is equally true to all creatures, regardless of location, time, unit of measure, etc.

Regarding faith, I am a somewhat devout Christian (LDS a.k.a. Mormon), but I believe the following about any divine creator regardless of the religions surrounding him/her. There are laws (truths) of the universe that bind the creator just as they bind us. However, increased wisdom and insight allows such a creator greater flexibility under the laws to meet his/her ends. This is to say that we all are subject to the same laws, but we are all restricted by them according to our individual levels of understanding of them.

My battery is almost dead, so I'll have to stop there. This is a great discussion, and I look forward to everyone's further comments. I don't take offense, and am happy to go on, but really can't right now (the amber battery light is flashing).
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 9:10pm
I love it. Kayakers argueing about what truth is. Yaaaay!!!
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 10:05pm
Truth is relative to the person who wants to believe what is true at that moment. Everyone creates their own truth. Religious and government officials then create the truth they want us to believe. We are nothing but living computers and human cattle waiting for someone to tell us what the truth is and program us.

Bummer huh? That's life, whether you want to believe the truth or not.

Nomad
jondufay
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote jondufay Replybullet Posted: 14 Jan 2010 at 7:01am
Dave,
  You have truth (objectivity) confused with subjectivity. I am guessing that Decartes would like to take a sh*t on your head right about now. 
ahh, f--- it dude, lets go boating...
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version