Professor Paddle: How Did You Spend Your Summer vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: How Did You Spend Your Summer Post Reply Post New Topic
dragorossinw
WW Industry
WW Industry

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dragorossinw Replybullet Topic: How Did You Spend Your Summer
    Posted: 15 Sep 2009 at 11:06am

Let hear the coolest paddling related trip everyone did this summer.  I'll Start: 

WA-OR-ID-UT-WY-CO;  I loaded the rig and headed out with my dog for the festivals in the Rockies. 

I hit some play in OR on my way to the PBR Revival on the Payette.  Had some epic surf on the Bladder.  I blasted down the Ogden UT to the WW Park for a Session and visited the construction job for the New Updated WW Park in Casper.  Spent a week in Lyons CO for the Lyons Outdoor Games and had a great surfwave 50 yds from my camp spot.  I met up with Matt Kurle and Steve Bailey for FIBArk, stopped at the Buena Vista WW Park on our way to Glenwood Spring WW Park

Then it was off to the RiverDale Wave in UT before making our final push home

That was my most noteable trip, Outdoor Retailer was cool too, along with the side trips with the family.

Tony Z
dragorossinorthwest@yahoo.com
www.nookiekayaking.us
www.dragorossi.com
www.donkeyfIip.com
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Kiwi
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Kiwi Replybullet Posted: 15 Sep 2009 at 8:43pm
drove to AZ and ran the GC down to lake mead. by the way, there is only ~3 miles of lake right now, and besides the pierce ferry drop (pretty big) there are 2 others, class III+ or so, with the best surf waves of the canyon in them.
STLboater
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote STLboater Replybullet Posted: 15 Sep 2009 at 9:40pm
Uh, a little boating, the Truss, UU Cispus, FITW, the sky.

Really I spent my summer starting a fruit business.  What I did was set up a stand, basically a farmers market in a booth, at local retirement homes and hospitals.
Kayak Academy Whitewater Instructor
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 16 Sep 2009 at 9:11am
Paddled much more this year than ever before. Some highlights are spending 2 weeks on the Snatch during high water, met lots of great new people this year, eagle falls, skook with sun and 80 deg temps every day.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 16 Sep 2009 at 7:18pm
I saw a snow leapord at the toledo zoo.  Actually just the tail....

Edited by huckin harms - 16 Sep 2009 at 7:20pm
chipmaney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote chipmaney Replybullet Posted: 16 Sep 2009 at 8:28pm
Paddled my first Class v...Put-in Falls of the Cheak and the Lower 8 of the NF Payette....Also, boated the Selway....in addition, I started climbing and will add a trip to Joshua Tree as a 2009 highlight, including some n. cali boating on the way down....
sitting all alone on a mountain by a river that has no end
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 17 Sep 2009 at 9:26am
well, despite being painfully broke most of the time, perpetually running out of and hustling for work, I still managed to do some boating...

One of the highlights of the summer has to be the Selway trip, which wouldn't have been possible without Chipper, who organized the trip and made it happen. Thanks dude!

Also had a few pfd's, most notably a fantastic weekend of pain and suffering on the OP- (really! it was fun! I don't think my drysuit, paddle and boat agree though) --and more pain and suffering on Deception Creek (really! it was fun!) -been wanting to do that one,  as ridiculous of an adventure as those kinds of trips are.

Ended up running livestock down the White Salmon for the rest of the summer. This turned out to be more fun than I expected. $ was my motivation, and it had been a few years since I guided full time. I forgot how much I really enjoy it. And by being at Hussum everyday (rafting), you get to hone your wranglin' skills.

And I almost forgot the Chelan Gorge- that was a real treat. Quality whitewater in a quality setting.
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 17 Sep 2009 at 11:22am
It's been an endless sumer kind of year for me. 

The year started off with a week on the wild and scenic Verde, 60 miles of river through the Mazatzal Wilderness.  Ocotillo, cholla, saguaro, juniper, ancient ruins, roadless wilderness, and a completely deserted river corridor made for a stellar trip complete with 70 degree sunny days in March. 

Bill Tuthill, webmaster of http://cacreeks.com/ fires off Verde Falls

Deep in the Mazazal wilderness

Then in April, another week on the water, this time for a preseason Yampa trip, for which I rowed gear on a 16 foot Avon Pro.  No bugs, no assigned camps, no off-limits layovers, no limits on our nights on the Yampa proper, and Warm Springs at 12,000 cfs and rising fast.  Saw three parties, hardly rowed a lick, and enjoyed some of the best side canyon hiking I've ever seen.  Had weather in the 80s and clear for the first few days, then had a rain fed waterfall pour off the canyon into camp, and ended the trip in sunny skies after 2 days of storms and snow.  Spectacular!

Kissing Tiger Wall, tradition for a good run in Warm Springs.  Must have worked, all the kayakers portaged!

The very heart of the literally stunning Yampa Canyon

Post storm lighting and laughs, Split Mountain Gorge

Enjoyed a sunny 13,000 cfs weekend on the Grande Ronde, lots of good trips on favorite class IV day runs, even got a new raft this year.  Also got my folks reinvigorated about boating -- to the point where they fired up a new custom SOTAR 13 footer just to come up and run the Green Gorge this fall. 

I capped the summer off with a blitz of he SF Salmon in Idaho, one of the best unregulated multiday whitewater runs available anywhere -- easily a rival to Oregon's Illinois in terms of scenery and whitewater quality. 

Nick lines up for the left-to-right line at Devil Creek, day 1.

The SF Salmon's own mini Impassible Canyon, below Porphyry Creek

None of these trips would have been possible without great friends dedicated to getting out on multiday trips.  A big thanks to Shaun, Nick, and Bill for another stellar year of boating. 

SYOTR!

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 9:28am
-Thanks for sharing those awesome pics, Slick!
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 9:42am
My summer aint done yet!
Connor
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Connor Replybullet Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 11:10pm
Started off with a three week trip to Idaho which included boating on the Payettes and a Middle Fork trip. After a brief stay in Washington, I headed to another three week trip in Cali to take an ACA and Swift Water Rescue Course, while getting some runs in on the American. After that, I boated the sky a few times, and then completed my summer with a trip down the Grand Canyon.
dylan
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote dylan Replybullet Posted: 24 Sep 2009 at 9:23am
Awesome. Truly Great shots Dr. Horn.

My summer rolled on like the Columbia. Sky>Chee>Met>Nookie>Slamon sammin>Tieton> with some Peshastin and Chiwawa sandwiched in between about 100 live shows. At least.
ThrowYaMittsUp
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote ThrowYaMittsUp Replybullet Posted: 01 Oct 2009 at 9:51am
My season started after the flood in January, and it has been epic. I'm not sure of the total days that I've gone boating, but it is around 100 with 20 personal first Ds.

The highlights were:

Middle Fork of the Salmon at peak run off (7.35)
running the sky at every flow from 10,000cfs to 500cfs
25 laps on FITW all on weekdays after work
Icicle Creek 4th of July weekend
boulder drop brawl and sky race(10sec behind Tao ain't bad)
THE OHANE! that river is the sh*t!
Applets and Coplets (thanks James and Happy B-day)
and many more...

And to top it all off, I floated the Rogue last week with one hell of a group of partiers. The water was low, but we did not see a cloud all trip with temps in the 90s.

Thanks to everyone that boated with me, led me down the hard stuff, helped me out when needed, and then talked sh*t and drank afterwords.

I look forward to boat with y'all again, as it's starting to look like the wet, bank full NW that we all love.

Brian

dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 01 Oct 2009 at 3:12pm
Lots of low water local runs for me.
BUT, A WHOLE lot of mountain biking this year...it has been an epic dry trail year, some of the best biking I have ever done this year.
I am ready for the local flood waters to come back though. Since I like to stay within my 80 mile day trip range.

Nomad
BRoss
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BRoss Replybullet Posted: 01 Oct 2009 at 7:46pm
least boating i've ever done in a summer, due to grad school swamping me. That said, got on the Selway (thanks Chip!) and Cooper, which aint too bad. Like dave, looking foward to the local goodness! drip drip
"That boated a lot better than it looked." "It always does until it doesn't."
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version