Professor Paddle: Beckler/Sultan Combo Discussion Thread vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Trip Discussion's
 Professor Paddle : General : Events : Trip Discussion's
Message Icon Topic: Beckler/Sultan Combo Discussion Thread Post Reply Post New Topic
Beckler/Sultan Combo (Trip Quick View)
Find out more details by Viewing the Trip Page
Beckler  (Rapid River to S.Fork Skykomish)   Class II-III   Min 4000 cfs    |    Max 10000 cfs   Current 4080 cfs (Reported on 04-26-2024 23:30:00)
Trip Leader : Jeff
Contact # : 425-780-9095
Meeting Time : 4/8/2007 10:00:00 AM
Meeting Place : Big Eddy Parking Lot
Paddlers Paddling
Otter Boy
Jeff
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jeff Replybullet Topic: Beckler/Sultan Combo Discussion Thread
    Posted: 03 Apr 2007 at 11:52am

This is the Beckler/Sultan Combo discussion thread. Please post any questions below.

Remember the actual Trip Details are located on the Beckler/Sultan Combo | Trip Page

Planning on checking out the Beckler River for a little warm up and to see something different for a change, and then run the Sultan Powerhouse for more of a challenge.  Meeting at the Big Eddy Parking Lot on Hwy. 2 at 10:00am sundayCool  All assuming water levels cooperate!

-Jeffro

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
jondufay
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote jondufay Replybullet Posted: 03 Apr 2007 at 6:48pm
look lively out there ladies and gents...the sultan is most def a step up.  once past last nasty, things are good and last nasty is portagable on the right( not the best, but doable).  if you can, try to get somebody who is familiar w/ that run to show you the line.  last nasty has claimed quite a few boats and almost a few paddlers, so take a pin kit and the ability to use it.  the best piece of beta that i can give you is to stay right on that rapid (even to scout).  at flows over 800 cfs, boof the pour over rock that is trying to force you left about half way through the rapid, if it is lower and there is no boof, be very careful... most of the water is pushing you into the sieves on the left, so a quick and hard move is required.  most of the big dropscomes towards the beginning of the run.  the 1st rapid below the powerhouse, the river splits and you want to run the right channel, near the bottom of the channel, there is a big ass log going all the way across it, so be on the very far right side of the left channel, it is pushy in there (maybe it is gone from higth water).  the next two rapids are boat scoutable down the middle, but be sure to catch the eddy on the right IMMEDIATELY after the 3rd main drop on the river.  there is a small white plaque on a boulder on river right that signals the start of last nasty.  don't go paddling by that without scouting unless you know the line through it.  it is a small plaque that is hard to see until it is too late.   the rest of the run is good to go, boat scout everything and run middle down most everything.  i am not trying to scare you guys off the run, but a swim there is definatly more consequential than a swim on the sky, so be careful.  see the river descriptions for more beta and some photos.  hiking out of this gorge would suck.  especially without macchetes..i can speak of that first hand and so can a few others. peace out...oh yeah, the gate at the put in locks @ six, it would also suck to be locked in there.  snohomish county pud would not be too happy to come up and open the gate for those getting off too late.  afterwards, get pizza and beer @ dan's  (best food in the sultan, f the Sultan (*Sucky*) Bakery (*wait 1hour please*)).

j
ahh, f--- it dude, lets go boating...
erikSANDSTROM
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote erikSANDSTROM Replybullet Posted: 03 Apr 2007 at 8:46pm
Don't camp at the Beckler Campground either. We were almost devoured by slugs- more than I ever thought there could be in one place!

What did you get into for spring break, Jon?
This river don't go to Aintry. You done taken a wrong turn.
jondufay
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote jondufay Replybullet Posted: 03 Apr 2007 at 11:11pm
did a bunch of stuff, after our mm rendevous on monday, i paddled the north fork of the nooksack on tuesday, both the canyon and horshoe bend.  on wednesday, did the foss and then the top tye.  on thursday, did the sauk, friday, did the bend again on the nf nooksack, saturday, top tye again followed by the sky.  on sunday, played 36 holes of disc golf (in glacier), then paddled the bend again (it is sweet, the last hole is only 5 minutes from the put in for the bend).  on monday, no paddling for me, but i managed to squeeze in 72 holes of disc golf in bellingham.  not a bad break for me, feels good to be going into spring run-off with my game on.  sorry to hijack the thread, back to this trip discussion...

j
ahh, f--- it dude, lets go boating...
Sven
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Sven Replybullet Posted: 04 Apr 2007 at 3:37pm
hey the first river sounds great for me to get into it again.... I'd love to go with you my prob is that I don't have a car and gear.... but I could organize the gear but the ride is the problem.... so if someone who's going would be able to pick me up I'd be down for it....

peace folks
I'm the new german guy and a friend of Benno
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Jeff
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Jeff Replybullet Posted: 06 Apr 2007 at 11:48am
Looks like the level won't be high enough for the Beckler on sunday, and the Sultan sounds a lot trickier then the description I read in the guidebook, so I'm gonna go ahead and cancel the trip.  Sorry for the inconvenience.  Try to get something else together asap
"What could possibly go wrong?"
www.flickr.com/photos/jeffdwyer/
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version