Professor Paddle: Cooper River and Cle Elum China Gorge vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Cooper River and Cle Elum China Gorge Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote osmelendez Replybullet Topic: Cooper River and Cle Elum China Gorge
    Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 10:37am
Howdy people. I'm trying to get as much information on Cooper River and China Gorge as possilbe. I've read the river pages on PP and American Whitewater, but maybe I can hear from some of ya'll about your favorite flows and experiences. I'll be up there next Saturday scouting as much as I can and researching the put ins and take outs.
I haven't gotten my creek boat wet this year so far and I'm looking to do that soon. I wouldn't mind joining a group of boaters that plan on doing this run sometime in the near future. I guess Cooper River is seasonal so if I'm gona do it I should do it soon. The gauge reads that it's above recommended flows. I was told it's an end of May run.
Any input for you guys would be great. Plus, if any boaters are in the area (Cle Elum area) next weekend don't be afraid to hit me up. The church I go to is having this huge retreat up in Suncadia, but I plan on bouncing inbetween sessions to check out the river. I know of a decent park and play on the Cle Elum as well so I'll be hitting that up.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 10:56am
Others will chime in soon on the Cooper - have only run it once a couple years back - but its probably too early and I wonder if the road is still covered in snow.

If you are in a scouting mood though - you aren't too far from the N. Fork Teanaway.  There is a good description of it on the River Pages of this site - no gauge specific for this run though.  I mention this run because I just read on another site that the road to Beverly Creek is now free of snow, which happens to be the put-in for the North Fork. 

“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 11:01am
The cooper road is snowed in still. It rarely gets it's first runs until sometime in June. Another thing to remember is that the cooper flows into the Cle Elum which then winds down some class II into the resevoir. The gauge for these runs is basically the inflow of the cle elum into that resevoir. That means the gauge represents both of these runs. So when people say that the cooper is good to go at 1500 cfs that is actually the amount of water coming in from both runs. That means that 1500 late season can be very very different from 1500 early season.

The cle elum does get run earlier in the year than the cooper because it's drainage area is lower and one valley to the east of the cooper, which means it produces melt much quicker than the cooper which is higher in the pass. VERY Rarely do both runs get done in the same weekend, mainly because if the Cle Elum is in the cooper is going to be really high and if the cooper is at a good flow the Cle Elum is going to be low. The cooper does go pretty well at higher flows but the run changes from that playground feel to a more rowdy creek run. So for paddlers just getting their boof on it might be best to wait. Also S-Turn gets a pretty burly hole at the base at higher flows.

Both are certainly quality runs that deserve attention for any paddlers in the area.
Here is a good link to road conditions up there. Keep in mind they don't update it as quick as you might get word from locals. http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/okawen/alerts-notices/?cid=stelprdb5308177
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 12:18pm

okay... well, I'm certainly glad I posted because if the road is snowed in then that changes my plans completely. N. Fork Teanaway? I'll check that out this evening. I'll be taking a group of non-boaters with me just to get out and explore, so I would hate to suddenly call off a hike because we ran into snow.

James, I think I understand what you are saying. Early season 1500 could mean that Cooper is super high and Cle Elum is just right, and late season 1500 could mean that Cooper is just right and Cle Elum too low. Is that right?
Fenix747
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Fenix747 Replybullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 12:27pm
I drove up there last wednesday to check it out. Road for the cle elum is free of snow. Cooper is still snowed in. The play spots are lookin nice with this flow though.
phil
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote phil Replybullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 12:42pm
Road for China Gorge is open?

Gauge says it's in now, anyone interested in getting it this week?
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 12:48pm
Fenix: Did you drive all the way up to Triple Drop?

That is a good ways up the Cle Elum River road, just curious because I am sure it is clear to Davis Bridge but the major elevation is after that.

Just an FYI, since it is the first run of the year be on your toes with wood. Last year the Canyon pinch (sturn) on the Cle Elum had wood in it and it did cause a bit of mayhem.
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 12:54pm
According to what Fenix747 says then that is correct - China Gorge is open. Have you run this stretch before phil? As I mentioned earlier, I have not. But, I'm definitely not scouting the put in and the take out for nothing. I plan on running it. Perhaps this weekend is the weekend to do so. I have a feeling that this weekend is going to be very interesting. I have a morning session on Saturday and I'm bouncing immediately after that. Hoping to be at Salmon La Sac no later then 1pm.
Fenix747
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Fenix747 Replybullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 12:55pm
No I didn't drive much past the bridge for the cooper but I wouldn't think there is snow blocking your way to the put in for china gorge, maybe there is, I don't know for sure. There is still snow on the sides of the road but not too much. Here is a visual, first feature below the bridge.

James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 1:13pm
Seeing that photo makes me think that you are going to have a serious adventure!!!

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying don't go up there, but I have run the Cle Elum early season and this is really early. You better make sure you have a 4 wheel drive. My guess is that your going to run into heavy snow on the road right around Davis Creek. Also take photos, I would be eager to see how much snow is on the river below Triple Drop right now.
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 3:49pm
Keep an eye on the weather reports if you head up soon. There is up to a foot of new snow forecast for the Mts in the next day or 2.
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 3:59pm
Seeing the snow makes me think that the road is not going to be friendly. This time last year there was not that much snow on the ground. The picture that you took is the exact place I'd like to get out and play in. Triple Drop is the put in but you didn't make it that far. I may pass on running China Gorge. Research will continue throughout the week. I'm definitely going to be dropping into that play spot.
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 4:08pm
By-the-way, thanks for all the input ya'll. I'm reading everything and taking it all into consideration. I haven't ruled out running China Gorge. But there's a number of factors for me to consider and I'll be doing that throughout the week.
phil
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote phil Replybullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 4:51pm
Yeah, sounds like probably a couple weeks before it's ripe for pluckin'
FLUID
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote FLUID Replybullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 4:59pm
China gorge usually has wood in S turn and is woody in general FYI...  why not wait till everyone else starts running it when it's hot and sunny !!!  Cooper will be in a lot when you don't have to deal with snow and you can camp and wear your board shorts and sunglasses.....  watch for posts here... there are usually pilgramages there with masses of kayakers when its in and sunny. you should  have no problem finding a crew who knows the run so you don't have to scout for put ins and take outs.....
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 8:43pm
okay gentlemen, I'm convinced. Let's pick up this conversation in a few weeks. I'll keep a look out for people posting. I'll turn my attention elsewhere this weekend, but I do plan on jumping into that roadside play hole for a bit. Thanks for the input.
Fenix747
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Fenix747 Replybullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 8:49pm
Dont forget the wave just downstream around the next bend

Awesome wave with eddy service. Had my first surf there.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 9:14pm
Yeah, Oscar- I agree w/ James and Fluid. IMO you'd be better off waiting, dustin off your creekin chops in the meantime so that when you get in there, you can shred it up and really enjoy it. Wait till its hot n sunny and give yourself some time to meet some reliable boater(s) to show you the lines (not required, but may expedite your trip and streamline it).
Plus, seeing snow at the Cle Elum sink spot just seems wrong! Utterly wrong! Its supposed to be a sunny oasis full of beer drinking, bikini wearing redneck chics in inner tubes. In fact, that's where I think Boofing Betty, Boater Barbie, and the ProHo oughtta go. They can go squirt boating on that terminal charc looking for sponsored zombies, then Mark47n can swoop down on them once they are nice and chilly.

But, back to the topic at hand:

S-Turn (on the Cle Elum- the Cooper has a rapid named "S-Turn" also, so be sure not to confuse the two. Washington has tons of redundant, generic names for rapids) does tend to have lots of wood in it, and it can sneak up on you, if you are'nt careful. It kinda walls up gradually then steepens, twists, and funnels.

Putting in at that Davis foot bridge can be a good play run with a nice waterfall. Watch out for the Waptus hole. Its a big'un.

I'll dig up my river log for flows on my Cle Elum trips (only ran it twice). I'll get back to ya...

Edited by jP - 30 Apr 2012 at 9:18pm
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 9:15pm
Actually that wave is lookin sweet at that flow.
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 9:47pm
Dude! That wave IS looking pretty sweet. I don't remember seeing that one. Well, if anyone is in the neighborhood and they want to do some surfing in the freezing water then feel free to hit me up. That snow does not look very inviting, but what the hell. I'll be there on Friday and Saturday. I look forward to the sun and beer.
chipmaney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote chipmaney Replybullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 9:56pm
the last couple years, china gorge has been in for more than a month after the road clears, which typically happens around the first weekend of june.

in warmer years, it is not unusual to only be able to catch china gorge at a good flow for 1-2 weeks due to road conditions. again, look for possibly memorial day weekend or the first part of june.

i have paddled china gorge 5 times in the last 2 years at <2500 cfs. 1700 is a minimum to have decent coverage but goes lower. not sure what it's like at higher flows, stompy i'm guessing.

note this run is notorious for wood issues.

most people wouldn't agree because it's not a "playground" as james says (ala cooper/ cc lewis), but in my opinion, it's the best Class IV creek around. committing, beautiful, and continuous, with one solid, portageable class v at the get-in and one mandatory class v- in the middle.

8 miles of almost constant whitewater. me and a buddy put in a lap last year in under 1.5 hours (one wood portage). good, good stuff, and the mandatory class v rapid KEEPS THE CROWDS AWAY

i'd be interested to hear other peoples opinions about the best class iv creek around, leaving out the cooper and cc lewis, which are known entities...

Edited by chipmaney - 01 May 2012 at 5:06am
sitting all alone on a mountain by a river that has no end
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 01 May 2012 at 7:05pm
Change of plans. I'm ditching the idea of hanging around the Cle Elum river on Friday. I've got to go look at this beast called ICICLE!
JD_G
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote JD_G Replybullet Posted: 01 May 2012 at 10:49pm
And that would be a god plan. Icicle is high quality like the Green....but better. Should be at a good flow on Friday.
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 02 May 2012 at 6:38am
I'll be up there Friday if anyone would like to join me. And it does look like the flow of Icicle is going down and should be a good flow by Friday. Research shows that portages are easy if confidence drops. But more then likely I'll be dropping into the drops. here's my number folks 206.910.2599.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 02 May 2012 at 1:30pm
Yeah, Ici is road scoutable. I suggest you get straight on the three segments: Upper, Middle (includes Ricochete, Horseshoe & Plunge), and the Lower.

Flows depending, focus on the Upper and Lower first to get Icicle's general personality dialed before doing the middle. PPeeps Elf their way down the middle, but as a general rule Icicle is better w/ some water in it.

Scouting from the road in street clothes a little ain't a bad idea for your initial visit, IMO, so front load your schedule for that.
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version