Professor Paddle: Question about kayak vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Open Forum
 Professor Paddle : The Class Room : Open Forum
Message Icon Topic: Question about kayak Post Reply Post New Topic
e_baer
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote e_baer Replybullet Topic: Question about kayak
    Posted: 03 Jan 2012 at 8:35am
Hey all! Obviously I am new to this forum, and still fairly new to kayaking. I have had a sit-on-top for a few years and mostly go in the surf at the ocean. I am looking to get a kayak that is good for river running. I am 6'3" and 170 lbs. I want to make sure I get the right gear the first time around. Are there and boats you would suggest for me with my height? Since I am still a beginner, I am looking for something good, yet inexpensive. also, what about paddles? I have done some research but want opinions from experienced people! Thanks in advance for the help.

-Elliott
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 03 Jan 2012 at 8:59am
Elliot your best bet is to head to a pool session and try a few out. Your going to be looking at 3 basic types of boats. River Runners, Creekers and Playboats. I would suggest sticking to the creekers and river runners since that seems to afford the best learning curve on the river of course it all depends on the paddler. I am about the same size but I have size 14 shoes, foot size plays a roll in the playboats much more than other boats.

Questions, Do you have a roll? What type of boat have you rolled? Have you paddled a boat with edges/planning or a round/displacement hull? If you have not learned your roll definitely head to a pool session and try a bunch of kayaks out. That will be the ticket to finding what you want and learning the basics at the same time. Once the water gets warmer you can start heading to the lake to get your roll practice on then gradually get into more and more rivers... Folks around here can get you out, many will offer tips and help but if you want a class check out washingtonkayakclub.org or aqua-sports.com which is partnered with an adventure school that offers classes!

Welcome and Have fun!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
e_baer
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote e_baer Replybullet Posted: 03 Jan 2012 at 10:19am
Thanks for getting back to me! I have never rolled a kayak, but am excited to learn how to do it, even thoguh it may take a while to get the hang of it. Im not 100% sure, but looking at (http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/kayak.html) it looks like my kayak had a tumblehome, v-shaped hull. I also have another kayak my neighbor gave me, and im in the process of reapairing it, but I have no idea what company made it and I have not taken it out on the water yet since it probably wont float.

I looked and found a few pool sessions where I can rent the kayak from them: (http://www.kayakeast.com/PAGES/classes.htm#description)

Would you suggest to only take the rolling class since I at least have some experience kayaking? I dont plan on doing any class 5 rivers or anything too challenging.
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 03 Jan 2012 at 10:58am
Elliot,
Take a class, you can drop a grip of money on gear and beer, but what you learn in a class will save you $ in the long run and make for a much more enjoyable time.
http://www.wetplanetwhitewater.com/courses-clinics/category/kayak_school/
Wet Planet is by far one of the best. And it makes for a nice weekend trip from Seattle
Cheers
Sure?
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 03 Jan 2012 at 1:30pm
Elliot where abouts are you located?

I would second Tobins recommendation. Take a class or at the very least learn your roll before venturing out on to many rivers. There are plenty of runs you can get down without a roll but in the winter it could prove to be a rather chilling experience.
e_baer
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote e_baer Replybullet Posted: 03 Jan 2012 at 4:50pm
I live in central Jersey. I joined this forum because I saw someone recommended it when I was doing some research. I will definitely take a class on rolling then practice a lot in a pool or calm water.

As far as kayaks go....I have pretty good balance, and am not worried about rolling over. I would like to have a boat that I can control pretty well, and doesnt put a hole in my pocket. Any brands, lengths, styles, etc that any of you would suggest? I know I need to test a few out before buying though.

Also, what about paddles? I am not looking for anything too advanced, just something I can have fun with and be able to control the boat.

Again, thanks for all the help!
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 03 Jan 2012 at 6:02pm
WE are about the same size...but I am 215lbs...I have tried many boats and so far have found the Jackson 4fun to be one of the most forgiving and easy to roll boats I have ever been in. It is a good all around river runner and I do classIV and also high water runs in it that most people would take creek boats down.

Of course I would not recomend a beginer do that, but the Jackson line of boats are great for beginers, especially the Fun series. Creek boats are much more difficult to roll, but are more forgiving in rapids, so its a trade off. But, I would definatly recomend the Fun series for any beginer...Jackson got this one right for sure!
Nomad
e_baer
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote e_baer Replybullet Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 6:39am
Thanks for the info. Ill keep my eye out for the fun series kayaks. Regarding which size kayak to get, if I weigh 170, would I go for the kayak that hold weight 130-180 or the kayak that holds 160-220. Those are not the exact numbers, but Im just wondering if I should be in the upper end of the weight or lower end of the weight.
Courtney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Whitewater,sea kayaking, snowboarding, backpacking.

Quote Courtney Replybullet Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 7:20am

If you want the boat to be more playful in the water then get the 130 to 180.  If you want more river running ability and less play then go for the 160 to 220.  Honestly though if it were me I'd go with the smaller boat because eventually you'll want to start working on play moves and the smaller boat will make a huge difference.

PaddleGirl
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaddleGirl Replybullet Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 1:19pm
You should check out www.npmb.com.  that's the message board for the northeast.
e_baer
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote e_baer Replybullet Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 3:48pm
Thanks, I just signed up for that forum. Thanks for all the help guys and gals. You really got me itching to get started and get learning!
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version