Professor Paddle: Waiting vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Waiting Post Reply Post New Topic
royhprum
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote royhprum Replybullet Topic: Waiting
    Posted: 12 Oct 2011 at 7:07pm

Just waiting to get a boat and i am free do do any run throughout king county.I'm sketched out by the carbon creek, and river.But i am willing to hit class 5. Just need a buddy system.Got thad2000 on communication with a boat and the gear i currently don't have. but lemme know. i am pretty sure i can get a hold of some stuff this winter.Notify me on my email itzexigency@live.com.

-Roy
P.s. to all boaters and members.If sketchy about my exp.I have done boulder drop many many times on an ik 6.2k cfs and lower. and made it through boulder on a playboat last month on the 20th.I've also done the Wenatchee a good dozen times.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 13 Oct 2011 at 8:46am

Roy,

I hesitate to post... BUT just cause you ran BD at some percieved highwater and the Chee a dozen times doesn't exactly qualify you for class V.  Better get your gear situation straightened out first, then incrementally work on rivers that offer progression. 

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
STLboater
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote STLboater Replybullet Posted: 13 Oct 2011 at 10:04am
I have to agree with Harms, class V is a whole different world from the Sky.  Also, unless you are a SOLID class V boater, I wouldn't step in to the class V world with out equipment you feel comfortable in.  Knowing how to control your boat through waves, holes, boofs and collisions with rocks will help you safely navigate the steeps.

Check out runs like the MM snoqualmie, N. fork sky, the green gorge

We want you to have a safe and fun time on the water.  Make sure that willing to hit class V is ready to hit class V.  And that made it through boulder drop is styled the rapid.

Cheers!
Kayak Academy Whitewater Instructor
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 13 Oct 2011 at 12:47pm
You never know if you can do it unti you do it...
Nomad
royhprum
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote royhprum Replybullet Posted: 13 Oct 2011 at 2:09pm

Yes.You guys have very good advice.And i adhere the helpful info.I have done the north fork,Moneycreek to index. and a few other rivers.I was just being general.Haha as it seems to everyone those 2 stick out . I live in Enumnclaw and just waiting for gear.Soon to come within a month.Sorry for the slight defense.Haha  I should definately clarify. Class IV stuff i am ready to hit.Snoqualmie i dont got much transportation to snoqulamie.But i am not confident with everything.I feel liek my reply seems a little arrogant. mah bad

WA-Boater
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote WA-Boater Replybullet Posted: 13 Oct 2011 at 4:08pm

You guys gotta know when to sniff out a troll. Roy 'Waiting' has all the makings of a good troll.

If i'm wrong, then lets boat Roy. I might have some gear for you to borrow as well.

Darren

jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 13 Oct 2011 at 7:45pm
Yo Roy- I'm gonna be Hop Skip n Jump from yer zone, bro!
In other words, gonna be boating the Green a bunch. You didn't mention that crik, but the Green Gorge should be a good local staple to dial in your gear and technique.

Straight up tho: Mr. Harms don't mean no harm, but he is right.

And you should re-read STLboater's 2 cents, cuz they are words of wisdom. You can get hurt easily doin this sh*t, and then ~poof!~ there go your paddling ambitions, not to mention the gear you worked hard to afford. Broken or lost boats/paddles suck, and often involve hiking out, sometimes in the dark. Not only does that suck for you, but it ends up sucking for whoever you are with as well.

Dislocated shoulders are the achilles heal of the whitewater kayaker, and often pose a permanent barrier to those who damage theirs. Poor technique is asking, almost begging for a shoulder dislocation or other injury. And you can only develope good technique when you are in calm and controlled settings. Read that again: you can only develope good technique in calm and controlled settings.

You got 19 year old kids breaking backs off of huge waterfalls before they've even figured out that they'll need their backs to work and live for several decades yet (not to mention paddle). My bet is many of them will eventually have to quit paddling.

Welcome to the sport. My advice? Don't think with your dick, or at least don't let it overcome the command center. Curb the animal instincts.

Gotta learn to walk before you can run.
Call me when the Green Gorge is over 1400 cfs, and we'll go boat. Send me a PM or post here on PP.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
GHannam
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote GHannam Replybullet Posted: 14 Oct 2011 at 1:16pm
I gotta give props to Harms, jP, and Gordon, because they're correct in all their statements, in my opinion. I've run laps on BD in my playboat, and just because you can run laps on it and style it every time, doesn't mean you're necessarily ready for class V out here.

Roy, my suggestion would be this: come out boating on the MM, Sky, Green Gorge (amazing run when it's in!), for a couple reasons: 1) Gives you time to get your gear figured out; 2) Lets you see how you boat in class III-IV and see what it is like out here, and; 3) Gives us the opportunity to get to know you and feel comfortable taking you out on other/bigger stuff.

I think most of us have all had experiences at one point or another, that we bring someone on a run they think they can do and watch them eat SH*T! None of us like to watch it, nor put ourselves at risk to bail them out after each rapid. What I'm really trying to say is that safety comes first and foremost, and class V is not to be messed with. (BTW- Personally speaking, when boating harder stuff, I'm always hesitant to borrow random people's gear because I don't know what condition it's in, or if I can trust it, and that can affect where my head is while I'm on the river. If I don't trust my gear, I don't belong on a river above class III.)

I suppose I shouldn't assume that you're new to the community, when I've been gone for the last eight months, but I'll say it anyways: Welcome to the community!! I think I can speak for everyone when I say that it's always great to have more boaters in the area!  

Looking forward to seeing you out there! Cheers
royhprum
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote royhprum Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 9:27am
Darren..Sounds good.I am ready for what i am capable of.I have taken advice from many and i'm not ready for class v.But III-IV .I think im set for.....Troll? im not following on that
royhprum
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote royhprum Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 9:35am
Well JP that sounds great! I will be ready to hit the gorge sometime this year.Yes i am very aware of young peoples ego.Im surrounded by it.Not trying to say i consume it.Waterfalls is not what i intend to do..haha.Mr.Harms sets very good points and i have seen many examples that have failed.My ambition for kayaking is great.But what gets me to ignite that ambition is actually being with OA in Index.They have taught me many things.Including Rob Mckibbin and Sam Grafton.But i have yet to meet the standards then advance over the abundance of finesse i have yet to find.I am just trying to get the time on river before i am capable of hitting bigger things.Carbon river is the one class V i am looking to run first.I will def. def. take all advice. its what i do.only 18 years old and boating is great
royhprum
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote royhprum Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 9:38am
G hannam Thanks for the greet.And you as well got many points i find ahead of time.Yet i wont know til i try my first run off the rivers i normally run...
Harms,JP,Gordon Thanks for all the advice..
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 12:46pm
Right on Roy... keep at it... and you'll be charging hard water.

One thing that I've noticed, esp this past year:  Class V paddlers need really only three components.  1) strong, physical and cardio fitness level, ready to wrestle  2) cool as a cucumber; meaning when the explicative hits the fan you are a mentally chill cat  and 3) got big courage;  it takes a heck of a lot of courage to throw yourself into true classV

Notice, skill set is not (imo) always a defining component.  Skill sets are crucial, but they don't always make the difference.  I've noticed over the years how some are lacking in the classV skill set, yet they still get down the classV. 

So, in my mind it seems the aforementioned 3components are prerequisites to a classV paddler. 

other thoughts?
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 12:54pm
Well I feel better knowing you think I am Physically fit Mike you haven't seen me for a while then again I have my ways... tricky tricky
chipmaney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote chipmaney Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 2:52pm
right on, harms. like any sport, kayaking at a high level involves a mix of natural athleticism, fitness, technique, and confidence, which allows a number of possible combinations that enable one to paddle advanced whitewater. skill is only one element. as a result, everyone has a unique potential in the sport that is his/hers to realize.

agreed, darren, troll.
sitting all alone on a mountain by a river that has no end
royhprum
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote royhprum Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 3:44pm

Thanks Harms..If anything I def. gotta work on number 2) ahaha.

I am very comfortable with 1) and 3) is something i will find out when i get there. ahaha
Good to know.I will find better ways to make my boating skills/technique alot better.I will be attending pool session at jaunita high every friday night.And wet planets training this weekend.And i am working on a various amount of things for the outdoors.through preference of all paddlers what kind of spray skirt would you prefer?
So only being on 4 rivers....Any rivers you guys think i should start on besides the ones i have listed above?(Skykomish[both forks],wenatchee,white,and upper upper green river above howard hansen resevoir.) anywhere that opening trustworthy class III is preffered?
BRoss
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BRoss Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by royhprum

upper upper green river above howard hansen resevoir

Definitely post a trip report on that one! Black ops for sure
"That boated a lot better than it looked." "It always does until it doesn't."
royhprum
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote royhprum Replybullet Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 8:08am
Yes! I went hunting with my uncle last year and we were driving by it! O my goodness! Flood season kills that upper upper section!I went down it in july and it was fantastic! I am not sure how many strainers there will be though
thad2000
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote thad2000 Replybullet Posted: 23 Oct 2011 at 9:39pm
Harms...  this sounds contrary to what you say (later or earlier).  After reading only this post I thought...  maybe I could handle a class v. 
I appreciate and thank you for being willing to share your advice and skills with newer boaters like myself.
why not!
thad2000
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote thad2000 Replybullet Posted: 23 Oct 2011 at 9:55pm
WA-boater...  That's a hella bold statement. 
Made me wanna say "I'm not a troll, Your a troll!
or is that towel?
Hey, I think I'm doing your dance...  lol.

why not!
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 Oct 2011 at 11:00pm
Dude if anyone round here is a Troll, its me. But maybe Leprechaun is more like it. Yeah, this site is cool to talk about boating cuz sometimes we just be sittin at home (like at 10:45 on a sunday night) wishin we wuz boatn but we aint so this can be a good outlet. And while most of us mean well (well, I can't say I always do), whitewater boaters, even the most humble, can be afflicted with "terminal expert syndrom". Thus resulting in everyone rushing into the mix to give ya all kinds of advice about how you should or shouldn't do this or that.

Bottom line is the sport is all about "Choose Your Own Adventure".
The saying "Rules Were Made To Be Broken" is a valid one, but perhaps should be ammended to include: "AFTER you've learned them"

For what its worth, I'm down to paddle the Carbon with you once we've run the Green Gorge and mutually assesed your skilled for the Carbon.
Troll or no Troll (and Roy, we have a periodic history on this site of Alias wise crackers, so sometimes new comers who show up are suspected to be such- personally I'm not concerned either way. All the action is on the river anyhow and the river doesn't care if you're a Troll, a Hobbit (PP has at least two hobbit members), an Elf (I know an Elf who guides rafts) or whatever mythical critter we may fancy ourselves as.

The river does recognize skill. Often it will match your skill and multiply it for you. The River will say "oh- kid's got skills. For every unit of skill you exert I will match you two units." On the other hand sometimes it'll say " this clown thinks he gots mad skillz. Ima let him slide this time lady luck style. An if the fool has the hubris to try that sh*t next time Ima fu*k his sh*t up and take his gear."

I guess I like the inseperable mysterious element to running rivers: the blurry line between skill, experience, and chance. With some intrinsic mysticism...
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 Oct 2011 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by James

<element style=": progid:DXTrans.Microsoft.name(sProperties)">

Well I feel better knowing you think I am Physically fit Mike you haven't seen me for a while then again I have my ways... tricky tricky<a href="css_styles/default_style.css">

</element>

And yo, if you DO drop into the Carbon with the Professor, you may want to go first, cuz there's some skinny places in there and...

Well now I'm crossin a dangerous line...

CALL THE MODERATORS!!!
Man I'm reading that link, where do you dig this stuff up?
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version