Forum Name: Chit Chat
Forum Discription: Non Boating Related Discussions
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9999
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 6:21am

Topic: San Juan Sea kayaking
Posted By: dave
Subject: San Juan Sea kayaking
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2010 at 10:55pm
Here is a trip I have been brain storming. I have wanted to do this for a few years now, I have done most of this trip in sections already, but would like to put it together for a 5 day adventure.
I am sitll not sure if I can commit yet, but I should know by Wednesday if I can commit, then it is game on.
Should be nice with everyone back in shcool and vacations over. I have been saving my vacation for a late summer trip like this. Now all we need is some nice weather, this trip depends on weather totally.
Here is what I have planned below, about 90 miles of paddling in 5 days, not to bad and very scenic.
If you are interested, I should know by Wednesday if I can go, then it is just the weather after that. If the weather is bad this trip will be cancled. You have to be able to be flexable and ready to cancle or go at the last second.

-------------
Nomad

Replies:
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2010 at 11:04pm

The Trip is planned for Sept 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12th. The tides will be perfect and it is the last time the tides and warm weather will be right until next summer. Hoping on the weather part...

-------------
Nomad

Posted By: refried
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 1:36am
Looks like a nice trip, hope you get good weather. A few hundred yards north on your return trip and you'll be passing my house, too bad I'll be at the Tieton that weekend.

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 10:32am
Ya, I am going to hit the Tieton too, but more towards the middle of the month around the 19th or so. I may even get over there during the middle of the week on the 15th or the 22nd when I am over there for business purposes.
Do you live on Lopez or San Juan? I didnt know there were any WW Kayakers that lived up in the Islands.

-------------
Nomad

Posted By: refried
Date Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 1:40am
I'm on Lopez, Just north of where you'll be crossing the straight back to Anacortes. There's a couple great beaches you'll be missing if you follow your intended route (six between Whatmough bay and Paul Allens place at Sperry peninsula), head north to Cape St. Mary (Kellet ledge) and make a more direct run east to Anacortes, the beaches are private but I'm the only one who uses them.
I think I'm the only WW boater on Lopez and I've given up trying to convert others here, I did see an old boat on top of a car today but  I don't think it's seen a river in years.
 I've regressed back to an IK and a raft, and do most of my boating with WRRR but still have my hardshells and play with them at the beach when I get a chance.
 if you see one of the Artic tankers come by, try to catch a wave, they're wake creates a perfect wave that go on for miles.

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 8:19am
Thanks,
I was hoping to find another beach besides Griffen Bay to stay at. But on the map there are no public places to stay. I will take a closer look at the map for these places you mentioned.
When you get to the South West end of the Islands, there is not many places to stay unless you pirate camp. My friend got threatend with a $150.00 ticket for pirate camping on American Camp beaches on the South end.

-------------
Nomad

Posted By: jP
Date Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 11:50am
yeah that's a cool route. I did a similar route once but we ducked inside of San Juan Island toward Friday Harbor and out through Cattle Pass. Still, we covered a lot of water in 2 1/2 days or so.

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 8:04pm

The West side of San Juan Island is really cool to paddle. It has a lot of cliff walls, Killer Whales, Seals, Sealions and when you get to American Camp it is like paddling along the English Coast line with the sand cliff walls.

-------------
Nomad

Posted By: KBfree
Date Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 8:57pm
Dave,
I would be interested in going out and was actually planning on doing a multi-day paddle  around the same time frame.  THe dates are not firm yet... but I would be interested heading out if I can work out some of the details with work and family. 

Your route looks good although you have some long stretches in there.  THere might be a burn out factor to deal with. .... or offset some paddling with some island hiking and exploring.  I just bought a navigation lights for evening paddling.  Sometimes it can be the calmest part of the day.

Keep me posted.

Kirk

PS - Just paddled Deception pass on Saturday for the first time... 

-------------
Kirk B

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 9:51pm
OK, I have the time off and the trip is on for me. 8th - 12th Sept. I have talked to a few people that paddle the Islands a lot and they agree that this route is awsome. It may be some long paddle days, but the view is spectacular on the south end of Lopez and San Juan, so I would really like to attempt this route.

We can always divert if it becomes to much, but after Posey Island your pretty much commited to do the entire west and south side.

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 9:55pm
My Freind at work, has paddled this route in 2 1/2 days. He lives by the Guemes fairy dock also, but I asked if he knew you Kirk and said he did not. His name is Jim Zimmerman.

-------------
Nomad

Posted By: KBfree
Date Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 7:00pm
OK.. all set for next week.  I hear there are lots of whales out on the SW side of San Juan Island right now.  Should be fun..

Kirk

-------------
Kirk B

Date Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 9:48pm
I am stoked, I havnt had a vaction in two years!

-------------
Nomad

Posted By: scottrichardson
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 7:43pm
hey dave,

I've paddled that exact route before in late winter. your distances are all easily doable, especially when timed right. winds nowadays kick up around 4pm and can bum you out if you need to cover the long part of your day. plan on a couple of backstops in case the winds and tides oppose, particularly on the west side of san juan (haro) and orcas, then again once you get around patos (georgia). i've had two sets of friends need to wait out some high winds on that (long) stretch of the same route.

if you need (or want) a place to crash on orcas i have a cabin. it's inland, so it doesn't really help you in anywayshapeorform...but it's there.

scott

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 11:56pm
Thanks Scott,

We are thinkning about changing the route a little bit and paddling to Point Doughty the first day and skip over Clark and Patos. That way we will have some extra time to spend on the West side and in my opinion, the West side of San Juan and the south side of Lopez are some of the most scenic areas in the Islands.

I guess we will have to play it by ear with the routes, but at least we have a few options for the four or five days we will be out there and the weather forcast is looking good too!

Feel free to join us if you want, we are meeting at the Guemes ferry dock beach at around 12 noon on Wednesday and coming back on Sat or Sun.

-------------
Nomad

Posted By: scottrichardson
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 7:32am
thanks for the invite but can't make it cuz i'll be outta town already.

don't know when you are planning on being on the east side of cattle pass, but there is a pretty fun race that can jack up some good sea boat surf. it's east of deadman island near the shore at davis point. happens on floods of 2 knots or better with opposing wind or swell from the straight (west). might not be as fun in a loaded boat, though.

will think sun for you!

Print Page | Close Window