Run Submissions & Gauge Discussions: FITW Cupdate
Print Page | Close Window

FITW Cupdate

Printed From: ProfessorPaddle.com
Category: Site Support
Forum Name: Run Submissions & Gauge Discussions
Forum Discription: Submit a Run Description or Run Beta. Discuss Gauges or post messages for the Rio Banditos
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9660
Printed Date: 24 Apr 2024 at 8:43am

Topic: FITW Cupdate
Posted By: JayB
Subject: FITW Cupdate
Date Posted: 28 May 2010 at 8:20am
Level was 3-4" below the cup last night, with the SF gauge around 500cfs and dropping into the high 4s while we were there. I'm sure the rain has given it a boost since then.

Seemed like medium low. Very pleasant level. Not too bony, and Fisherman's was pretty benign. Great level for a first-D IMO.

-------------
-Jay

Replies:
Posted By: James
Date Posted: 28 May 2010 at 8:51am
Jay,

First let me applaud your creative thread title. When I read that on the homepage two things came to mind. First who ever made that thread get a beer on me, and second was that needs to become the standard FITW level reporting thread!

Since the Cupdate thread should be kept clean of off topic banter lets discuss the FITW levels in http://professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9640 - another thread here --> http://professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9640

Posted By: jP
Date Posted: 28 May 2010 at 10:53am
Oh, yeah, Jay!!
It's now ALL ABOUT the "CupDate" !!!!

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 11:42am
well there will be another Cupdate this Thursday...
I'll be heading over the pass with the intent of stopping off for soem FITWah lappage...

Then again, if the forecast is to be believed, the flow is going to SKYROCKET!

(guess we ain't having such a shabby season up there afterall- I've already clocked in several FITW laps on several different days).

Nice write up on the N. Frk Teanaway, BTW Jay- meant to say something...
That database is slowly getting fleshed out...

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 12:17am
... that forecast is lookin good for some FITWah laps next week-- the days are still stretching out, too! Maybe we should mobilize next week for "afterwork  laps"....

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Posted By: septimus prime
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 7:41am
Im in.

-------------
Jon Shell Bee

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 10:00am
cool... keep it in mind. I'm going down to the Slammin White Salmon soon, but weather/ flows permitting, I plan on hitting up some FITWah early next week.

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Posted By: Connor
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 7:28am
As of this morning, JP says low side of high this morning. Downstream peak of cuprock exposed.

Posted By: FLUID
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 9:33pm
Hey conner long time no see buddy...  I'll be at FITW most of the day Tuesday or if anyone else has some time that day to paddle laps........

Chris Totten ~ 

Posted By: Connor
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 6:17pm
I'll be there after school (at the put-in at about 4:30) to do laps. You're right, it has been a while! Well, I look forward to boating with you on some fun runs on FITW.

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 10:27am
Cupdate was just called in by JP. Rock is covered with water. 

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 4:10pm
Thanks guys for relaying the recent "Cupdates" I've texted to some of you. I just figure anytime I'm passing by I'm going to stop for a look, so I may as well send some data down the mountain.

I camped up there again last night- gotta say it's one of my favorite roadside stops. Parked the van right next to the little stone wall where I could tarp up off the side of the van, sit out in my chair, fire up the stove and monitor the Cup Rock.

I'm going to try for a FITWah strike tomorrow during the day or the evening or so, depending on who's into it and when they can go. I don't know- maybe by tomorrow it will be too low (looking at the graph).

If you've been wanting a piece of the FITWah and haven't gotten it yet this year- you'd better be ready to jump at your chance to run it. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that as soon as it isn't too high for folks who prefer medium low or lower flows, it's gonna drop like a rock. So ELF boaters- better be quick on the draw. Very soon.

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Posted By: FLUID
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 4:56pm
Paddled it last night cup rock almost covered all good..... Connor I might be gone by 4:30......... maybe see jp up there. I'm off this thread call me if you need ....

253 230 3307

Totten

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 4:59pm
Tuesday Tuesday Tuesday !!!

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 9:36am
Prolly Be up there at around Noon today.
Cupdate to follow

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 9:19pm
Will save JP the trouble since he was nice enough to send along a text - level today was medium. Planning on heading up there tomorrow after work. Probably get there around 5:30.

-------------
-Jay

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 8:36am
Great cupdate service guys... And just to think Jay you started it all, what a vantastic idear!!!

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 9:28am
Looking like the rain bumped it out of my range - maybe tomorrow or Friday...

-------------
-Jay

Posted By: Fish
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 3:20pm
JP and I will be heading up today for some laps.  We'll be up there around 5 today. 

Posted By: septimus prime
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 7:11pm
Thursday anyone?

-------------
Jon Shell Bee

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2010 at 10:25am
Anyone get up there yesterday? Looks like the level has been holding steady in the high 7's for the past day or two and I'm curious to hear what the levels have been like up at FITW. I'd guess medium high - but a field report would be great.

Word.

-------------
-Jay

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2010 at 6:15pm
Water was flowing over the bottom of the cup today when the SF gauge was at about 670cfs.

-------------
-Jay

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2010 at 8:23am
Will everyone please upload photos (if you got them) of the FITW cup rock at any level you have seen it. I am going to make a collage for the FITW page. Please upload your photos to your own albums so I can include little photo credits. Thanks

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2010 at 11:13pm
Sorry - forgot to snap a photo tonight but the level was 1-2" below the cup. Felt like the extreme low end of medium.

As we were heading down the pass at 9:00 or so we ran into some serious rain, so if that actually hit the pass there should be a pretty healthy spike in the flows. More rain and/or some significant heat at the pass have the potential to bring the run back to life for a bit longer.

-------------
-Jay

Posted By: water wacko
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 7:13am
lovin the Cupdate!!    

Posted By: tradguy2
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 10:28am

We should get another week or so out of the run.  It was low last night because of the cold temps (low 40's) but there is enough snow higher up to keep her running if we get a warm spell.  I think we need to wrap up the season with a FITW fetival next week complete with a BBQ and beer.   

-------------
... preparing for a river beating!     

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 10:48am
Agreed, and perhaps the first FITW Race.

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 11:06am
I made a little cupchart... See below, we still need more low, medium and high level photos (I will update as I see photos uploaded):

http://professorpaddle.com/media/photoview.asp?File_Id=5501">    

Posted By: tradguy2
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 11:24am
A race sounds fun.  TIme to start planning. 

-------------
... preparing for a river beating!     

Posted By: Travisimo
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 11:25am
FITW was LOW yesterday.

I was shocked at just how low, inches below the cup... still doable.

I think she may be done... others disagree but unless it warms up a lot, I'd say it's time for all the ELF boaters to get up there now... its still doable but you're gonna hit rocks :P

-------------
H2O please

Posted By: dave
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 11:38am
It was ELF last night, but a really fun easy level. I did get cheese grated when I ran the last drop on the Fearsome upside down...I think today would be too low to run, we need some warmth and it will come up again...hopefully. Root Ball was fun at low water though.

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 7:34pm
She's ba-aaaaaack...

As of 6:30 this evening: Water flowing through cup with both peaks exposed. Healthy medium level. SF Gauge at 510. Looking at the forecast my guess is that it'll be in until Tuesday. Maybe medium-low tomorrow and lowish by Tuesday.

Checked it out on the way back over the pass.

-------------
-Jay

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 8:01pm
We will be there tomorrow (Monday) starting at around 4:30pm for multiple laps as many as possible till we drop...

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 11:08am
Cool- sounds like yall been milkin the FITwatah for all its worth, as you should. Saw the guage at lower 500's recently and wondered if it would translate to some mediumness...

James- diggin the comparitve cuprock photos. That is the final step toward full Cup Enlightenment. Once we get some better res pics we'll be set, but even now this is sufficient to clear up this whole Cupdate D-bate.

Seriously- ask yourself:
Has AW, WKC, PDX, Seaatle Yahoo Kayaker what's is name offered anything like this to you, the descriminating beta consumer? not that they aren't all swell folks- but when the rubber hits the road, None of these other Interwebbulary desintaionoids can offer you a Cupdate, with an actual Cupdate Calibration Key to interpret said Cupdate...

I mean, if one is to profess, it should be more than a guess ...

SYOTWSR!!!!!!!!!!

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 11:40am
Might try to sneak up there tonight but wouldn't be able to get there much before 6:30....

-------------
-Jay

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 3:54pm
The cup has water in it. Just a little bit flowing in and out.

Come on up for a perfect fun easy low to med flow!

It doesn't get any better than this!

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 3:55pm
We are here right now and will be till around 7:30 or so.

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 4:19pm
Will try to get there for at least a couple of laps.....

-------------
-Jay

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 10:25pm
Nice medium flow tonight. Water just barely flowing through the cup. Didn't look like it had dropped much, if at all, from the previous night.

Thinking that it should still be in at a low-medium flow tomorrow, and could bounce back pretty significantly if we get a hot, sunny day any time soon, or some more water up high.

-------------
-Jay

Posted By: SupaSta
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 2:23am
Originally posted by James

I made a little cupchart... See below, we still need more low, medium and high level photos (I will update as I see photos uploaded):

http://professorpaddle.com/media/photoview.asp?File_Id=5501">    
Good work James.  This is awesome!

-------------
Life is short, paddle hard!

Print Page | Close Window