Forum Name: Whitewater Forum
Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9451
Printed Date: 18 Apr 2024 at 6:22am

Topic: Quinault Gorge
Posted By: myak
Subject: Quinault Gorge
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 9:04pm
Went into the Quinault gorge last weekend  and all the wood that was choking up dolly falls is still there BUT there is a big fir log wedged  on RL and it gets u out to the center rock so u can get by the falls now. I didn't say with out risk but doable. It is kinda the way it was when gary korb wrote the book.From what i could see the next couple drops looked clean.about one hundred yards below dolly is another must run rapid i could see the left side and it looked clean of wood from that point on is a crap shoot the walls get over hung and u cant see in there except for bits and pieces. The run is well worth the 2 1/2 mile hike but a very committing gorge very few ways to get out. It has blind corners, slides,ledges, boulder gardens every thing a boater wants,I took some pic's of dolly falls if u want to see what it looks like from 150' above it let me know at   mailto:mikeh@green - mikeh@green crow.com or maybe james will help me upload them.If you go make sure it is low at least for your first time down There has been alot of wood come through that gorge in the last 2 years u can tell by just how much wood and full trees are on the river bank on the drive up to Graves creek camp ground . SOPBOATER would be a good guide in there.            

-------------
mike hoover

Replies:
Posted By: jP
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 9:16am
HELLL YEAH!!

thanks for the report, my man! This one's on the hit list for this year...

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Posted By: fiddleyak
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 9:36am
Neat report, this canyon definitely sounds interesting

Posted By: water wacko
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 9:39am
Thanks for the beta, Hoov! I want to get in there.

Posted By: Erik
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 9:38am
Don't furrget about The NF Quinault Gorge either (3 mile gorge above Kitma Cr).  To this day, maybe the most impressive canyon/water/scenery I've been through.  "Zen of WW" and I were talking about this run recently...he said this gorge was #1 in his book until his Dipper Cr. mission.  Big effort to reward ratio on this one.  Doesn't seem to get talked about or done that often.  Runs off snow-melt June/July.  Runs around the same time as The Quinault Gorge, and GC Elwha....all require a comfy pair of hiking shoes. Earn it out there on The OP!

If you ever need beta for NFQ, feel free to contact me. 

And then there's Tsletchy(sp?) Cr....maybe the most formidable trip in The OP.  Always wanted to get on that.

-------------

Posted By: water wacko
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 9:50am
I hope to attain the skill (read=balls) to get into (and out of ) the Tsheletshy. One day...

Posted By: jP
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by Erik

Don't furrget about The NF Quinault Gorge Doesn't seem to get talked about or done that often.  Runs off snow-melt June/July. 

Oh, I been talkin about it!  I'd like to pick your brain about it for sure and do it this year.

Originally posted by Erik

And then there's Tsletchy(sp?) Cr....maybe the most formidable trip in The OP.  Always wanted to get on that.

That one too. For sure.

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Print Page | Close Window