Forum Name: Whitewater Forum
Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6901
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 9:48pm

Topic: kayakers' wave
Posted By: Meghan
Subject: kayakers' wave
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 7:05pm
Whatever happened to the kayakers' wave?  You know, driving down the road, seeing another vehicle loaded down with boats and giving the high sign.  Or driving down the road, seeing 4 guys standing outside the Sultan (*Sucky*) Bakery (*wait 1hour please*), waving and getting blank stares (at best) in return.  Too cool for school?  Hmm.

Replies:
Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 8:27pm
Maybe no one likes you...kidding.

I always get funny looks cause sometimes i wave wildly at kayakers before realizing that I don't have boats on my car....

-------------

Posted By: dragorossinw
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 8:38pm

It seems the 'Kayakers' Wave' went away to the same place the 'Playspot Eddy Waite Your Turn' courtesy went.  Its Hit Or Miss and Depends on Where and Who You Are

-------------
Tony Z
dragorossinorthwest@yahoo.com
www.nookiekayaking.us
www.dragorossi.com
www.donkeyfIip.com

Posted By: dave
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 9:47pm
I have special wave I use when people cut me off on the freeway?

-------------
Nomad

Posted By: paddlefoo
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 9:55pm
I am sure that I will age myself with this comment, but back when I started boating kayakers always waved and were friendly to one another when passing.

It has been a slow decline...would be great to see a revival of community kindness in this and other ways!!!

JUST KEEP WAVING...if they don't wave back, oh well.

Posted By: STLboater
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 10:32pm
i'd feel like a motorcyclist.  that being said, i do try to flash some gang signs at fellow boaters ex: peace sign.

-------------
Kayak Academy Whitewater Instructor

Posted By: Chuck e fresh
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 11:06pm
Some people just don't pay no tention.. I tell u whut !!

-------------
There's no such word as can't!so stop making excuses!!!!

Posted By: dragorossinw
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 11:34pm
Its hard to wave when your drinking your Starbucks, talking on the Cell Phone and watching the Tom Tom for directions

-------------
Tony Z
dragorossinorthwest@yahoo.com
www.nookiekayaking.us
www.dragorossi.com
www.donkeyfIip.com

Posted By: Bykguy
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 8:34am
I agree with Paddlefoo. Just wave... if it's returned,  great! If not, maybe that person will think about it and wave next time. The more paddlers out there doing it, the sooner it will grab hold again.
As far as eddy ettiquette....it's gotten pretty bad. It's not hard to ask someone to cut in line or just show some respect and patience. I'll also try to remember this next time there are 15 people waiting in line at Rodeo or Turkeyshoot or...
I know I sound like an old man, but we are a small community and this should be simple to fix.

-------------
Chris Feather

Posted By: SupaSta
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by paddlefoo

...JUST KEEP WAVING...if they don't wave back, oh well.

Right on Paddlefoo!

I'm all for the wave; I've even been known to wave to a sea kayaker and a canoeist or two.  Usually you get the "Do we know that guy?" look in return. 

Dan

-------------
Life is short, paddle hard!

Posted By: water wacko
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 7:22pm
I wave.

-------------
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman

Posted By: LuckyLiam
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 8:30pm
yeah!   I wave too!  
And we can come up with some other secret kayaker signs that only we would know!
Like.... left hand palm placed on the forehead =  "you are about to road test your kayaks"

Posted By: NOMADIC WORLD
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 9:41pm
I take great pride in the wave. Not that I'm against it, but I don't wave to sea kayakers. They are their own breed, and I'm all for keepin it that way. Also there are too many in Seattle. It'd be like Dodge/ Chevy owners waving to each other in Texas.

-------------
In The Business of Doing Things.

Posted By: Chuck e fresh
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 10:27pm

I bet you'll notice my wave the next time you pass me, I am more of the drive by honk and wave though.

-------------
There's no such word as can't!so stop making excuses!!!!

Print Page | Close Window