Buy \ Sell \ Give \ Receive: Wanted: Dagger RPM
Print Page | Close Window

Wanted: Dagger RPM

Printed From: ProfessorPaddle.com
Category: Classifieds
Forum Name: Buy \ Sell \ Give \ Receive
Forum Discription: List the items that you want to buy, give away or receive. Check the FSBO tool first. There might be items for sale already. Please use the FSBO tool to list items for Sale!
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6665
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 2:36pm

Topic: Wanted: Dagger RPM
Posted By: STLboater
Subject: Wanted: Dagger RPM
Date Posted: 01 May 2008 at 11:59pm
Please post if you have/ know of a dagger RPM for sale.  My girlfriend is looking for a kayak, help a guy out!

-------------
Kayak Academy Whitewater Instructor

Replies:
Posted By: dragorossinw
Date Posted: 02 May 2008 at 7:40am
you can do better then an RPM for her!!!

-------------
Tony Z
dragorossinorthwest@yahoo.com
www.nookiekayaking.us
www.dragorossi.com
www.donkeyfIip.com

Posted By: oukr9965
Date Posted: 02 May 2008 at 8:10am
The Kayak Shed has a few used ones, here's the link.  http://www.kayakshed.com/cat/used_kayaks.cfm
I second Tony's statement though.  They're great beginner boats but she'll be looking for another boat in no-time.  I've seen it happen many times to folks around here.  Good luck!

Posted By: justin
Date Posted: 02 May 2008 at 9:23am
I have to rebut the other two folks here.  The RPM is a great boat and no one should talk smack about it.  It surfs well, ferries well, and I know quite a few paddlers that still use theirs.  There is a reason they are back in production. (they are damn comfortable compared to other boats.)  Good luck in your search.

Posted By: Travisimo
Date Posted: 02 May 2008 at 10:23am
Heck yea!  Oh wait I still creek in a Wavesport Y...

I've been told that when Whitewater 2.0 is released (and TV goes digital), all our boats will be useless...

-------------
H2O please

Posted By: justin
Date Posted: 02 May 2008 at 10:34am

The Y is a great boat too if you have skinny legs.  I had one for a little while and it handled better than any other boat I've had.  Just was too tight on my legs.

Posted By: SupaSta
Date Posted: 02 May 2008 at 8:29pm
Do not buy an RPM.  That boat will just hold her back.  Definitely go planning hull.

I'm assuming she's a beginner or still a class twoer.  If so, she'd be better off in an InaZone, or one of its updated versions, or in a used Jackson, or in any of the stable, forgiving river-runners that have been introduced over the last few years.

However, if you're convinced that the RPM is the way to go, don't pay more than a couple hundred bucks for it.  I was just on the Kayak Shed website and they want $500 bucks for a used RPM.  That's a rip off. 

Look at it this way, if you get a more modern boat, you will have the new totally adjustable outfitting that everyone's been offering for years.  If she's comfortable and fits well in her boat, she'll have more control and she'll have less reason to be afraid and she'll want to improve her skills.  That means more boating for you 

Just my $0.025
Dan

-------------
Life is short, paddle hard!

Posted By: Heather
Date Posted: 02 May 2008 at 9:01pm
Not to start an argument in here, but the RPM is the kind of boat that could make your girlfriend stay in the sport long enough to want a newer boat.  Too many people start out with boats that are really squirly and hard to learn in and get fustrated and quit.  It's not like there is tons of park and play around here to justify learning in a super short boat.  An RPM can take you all the way  from class II to class IV rapids and is way more comfortable than any of the shorter boats. It's also easier to roll than many of the planning hole boats.  Newer isn't necessarily better. 

Posted By: RPMMAX
Date Posted: 03 May 2008 at 7:31am
Better is relative! The RPM is probably the best surfing boat ever made excepting those boats for ocean surfing.
The RPM endos and stern squirts well.
If you want to play in small holes and throw ends then of course a smaller boat will be more suitable.
I see a lot of new boaters in small boats that they can't control.
The RPM is a good choice!
They are still very much in demand, that why they arn't the least expensive.
If your girlfriend is going to boat every now and then as opposed to hard core every weekend and creekin then I think this is a great choice.

RPMMAX

-------------
RPMMAX

Date Posted: 03 May 2008 at 2:32pm
in my opinion, the RPM is one of the best beginner/intermediate boats out there.  It does very well at punching holes, super easy to roll, pretty comfortable and a good boat to learn to surf in.  I've been teaching people in RPMs for years, they are awesome.

Dan- I agree, $500 for that kayak shed RPM is SUCH A RIP!  Inazones are great beginner boats only in the fact they float and they are super cheap.  But for 150 bucks, my buddy got an inazone, PFD and skirt, cant beat that.

-------------

Posted By: oukr9965
Date Posted: 03 May 2008 at 2:48pm
I imagine that the RPM at the Shed is on consignment or something of the sort.  I'm pretty sure that they would entertain other offers.  It's usually the seller that puts the price on the boat.  It's easy for the good folks at the Shed to call the seller and ask if they'll take a lesser price.

My wife just started boating.  We got her in a LL Little Joe and it has been steller.  Stable, good edges, great outfitting, comfortable, fast and punches holes well.  Naturally everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  This boat will allow her to do a little bit of everything and that's what she wanted.

Either way, good luck Gordo and I hope she sticks with it.  Take care.

Lanson

Date Posted: 03 May 2008 at 4:49pm
Lil Joes are awesome too!  I want one real bad!!  You can even double, errr triple pump it to a bowstall.

-------------

Posted By: dave
Date Posted: 03 May 2008 at 5:20pm
Please buy my Tekno! $500 for all the trimmings!

-------------
Nomad

Posted By: josho
Date Posted: 03 May 2008 at 7:51pm
I saw a RPM on Craigslist for 300 bucks.

-------------
The fat lady has not sang.

Posted By: Ronin
Date Posted: 03 May 2008 at 9:27pm
Here's the link for the $300 RPM on Craigslist:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/boa/666745259.html

I think the Dagger RPM is an excellent choice to learn how to kayak.  It still amazes me when I see beginners in rodeo boats as their first kayaks and they get hammered over and over again. They then end up quiting the sports.

Date Posted: 03 May 2008 at 10:23pm
Thanks for the good eyes!  Picking up the boat tomorrow afternoon!

-------------

Posted By: Travisimo
Date Posted: 04 May 2008 at 7:55pm
Sweet!  Once you're feeling good with class IV, I'll help you into a "Y" for creekin!!! 

Don't let anybody tell you its not a good boat.  Fiberglass sucks since its gotta be repaired so often but the RPM and Y are still out there for a reason...

-------------
H2O please

Date Posted: 04 May 2008 at 8:49pm
Gee whiz! That didnt help me sell my boat at all. Darn it!!!

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 05 May 2008 at 8:26am
Got the boat, thanks guys!  Kate is super happy and says the color is growing on her.

-------------

Posted By: jzgold
Date Posted: 05 May 2008 at 3:12pm
sweet, the UPS boat count just keeps growing... I guess I'll see it at the pool tonight

Posted By: jondufay
Date Posted: 05 May 2008 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Ronin

It still amazes me when I see beginners in rodeo boats as their first kayaks and they get hammered over and over again. They then end up quiting the sports.

or they end up actually learning how to cross an eddy the right way and get some good technique.  you can cheat on most of that stuff on easy whitewater in a big boat.  those that learn in slicey, squirty boats and stick with will be better boaters in the long run.  learning good fundementals is something that escapes when you can just plow through stuff in a big boat.

-------------
ahh, f--- it dude, lets go boating...

Date Posted: 05 May 2008 at 7:29pm
Geez all this talk about boats and stuff, someone just buy my Tekno please!

On another note, UPS is going green and you should see a Brand new White Taylor Dunn scooting around campus. Thats one of my babies and more are coming! Thats a high efficiency A/C Drive electric vehicle.

http://www.professorpaddle.com/Media/getimage.aspx?fileid=2843&width=600

James, fix the picture hyperlink for Pete sakes!!!!!!!!!

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 05 May 2008 at 10:40pm
Oh what the hell, that thing looks like it should transform into something else.  I dont want to see that on my campus.  Although....  It does look like i could tie some boats on top.

-------------

Posted By: RemAcct2
Date Posted: 05 May 2008 at 10:47pm
The nineties called; they want their boat back...

-------------

Posted By: erikSANDSTROM
Date Posted: 06 May 2008 at 5:31am
King Chili called and wants 90's gas prices back.

-------------
This river don't go to Aintry. You done taken a wrong turn.

Date Posted: 06 May 2008 at 6:40am
You actually read my mind with that one.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 May 2008 at 8:00pm
It uses no gas and I can get solar cells for it so it could have potentially endless runtime!

-------------
Nomad

Print Page | Close Window