Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6573
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 7:22am

Topic: Spray Skirt Advice
Posted By: Adrian
Subject: Spray Skirt Advice
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 11:44am
Hey,

Just got a new pyrannah burn  any suggestions on a good fitting spray skirt?
I have a mountain surf spray skirt for a 4Fun but it is a bit loose at the sides so would like a better fit.

Also, got a rip in the above mentioned spray skirt this weekend getting stuck against the bowling ball on the Methany this weekend. The rip is about 1 inch long on the edge. Any places around here that fix spray skirts?

Cheers
Adrian

-------------
Adrian (20six) 34nine 6two51

Replies:
Posted By: huckin harms
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 11:55am

I've been using a extra large reinforced snapdragon w/ bar.  The large may work, but stresses the rand around the rim, and so the XL is preferred at least when using a SD.  Also, finding one with a bar may be tough (special order?) but is worth the extra effort and nickel.  It only takes one time to find out why. 

Hope this helps.  Enjoy the burn.  A great boat it is. 

-------------

Posted By: dave
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 12:11pm
You have to get the correct fitting skirt for the burn, I just bought one with an implosion bar from auquasports. Charles at Auqusports can tell you what size to get.

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 1:32pm
Thanks Mike, for the detailed reply. Enjoyed the Burn the few times I have used it so far.

Dave, which one did you get? SnapDragon?

-------------

Posted By: oukr9965
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 1:51pm
I bought a Mtn Surf for my old Burn.  It seemed a little loose, but was always bomber and never imploded.  Pretty nice too cause it went on really easy.  I've heard great things about the snapdragons/Burn combo as well (the ones with the implosion bar).

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 2:11pm
snapdragon, always

-------------
Nomad

Posted By: Ryan
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 2:13pm
I've got an XL Mountain Surf with the red grab loop which people tell me is stiffer than yellow.  I bought the skirt used with my old creeker (Huka).

It is difficult to get on but not too bad.  It is super dry though and worth the work out to snap it on.

Ditto on enjoying the Burn.  I really like mine!!

Posted By: Ellingferd
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 2:44pm
i have an immersion research skirt with an implosion bar that can also be coupled with a deck plate and turns it into an overthruster if you so desire and have that interchangeability in your cockpit sizes. the skirt is quality and it is the best skirt I have owned. highly reccomend it.

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 3:20pm
Ok, I am at my sprayskirt. It is a XL snapdragon, with an implosion bar and not kevlar! It is very easy to put on, the kevlar is very difficult and you don't really need kevlar unless your getting shot at by hillbillies wearing ski masks.

-------------
Nomad

Posted By: jP
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 5:50pm
  Incidently, Lots of people used to build their own custom skirts and they were high quality. There is no reason why an intelligent person can't incorporate today's inovative designs (implosion bar, ect.) if you're willing to get the material and spend a couple of nights.

As far as repairing one, That's REALLY REALLY easy, especially if the tear is not right where the body tube seam connects to the spray deck. Cut a piece of material (neoprene, nylon, ect.) larger than your tear, and glue over the tear with the appropriate cement. If you really want to knock yourself out you can sew the tear shut first then glue over all of it. Better yet, glue material on both sides of the tear. We're talking about an hour max, including time you spend drinking your beer, or whatever it is you consume besides sprayskirts.

Jp

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Posted By: Texas Dave
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 7:12pm
Don't get a Snapdragon EZ on skirt.  EZ on means EZ off too and mine imploded on the Ocoee.  Like Harms said, it only takes once.

I have a mountain surf with the red handle now and while it is tougher to get on, I'll take that any day over swimming due to a gear malfunction

-------------
Dave

Posted By: Chuck e fresh
Date Posted: 15 Apr 2008 at 9:56am

My votes with wetmouse ! Good advice !! Just Have a beer....I mean fix the skirt.

-------------
There's no such word as can't!so stop making excuses!!!!

Posted By: dragorossinw
Date Posted: 15 Apr 2008 at 11:53am
Try the Nookie V-Shock, the extra rubberized fabrick makes it super strong and dry. 

-------------
Tony Z
dragorossinorthwest@yahoo.com
www.nookiekayaking.us
www.dragorossi.com
www.donkeyfIip.com

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2008 at 12:52pm
Thanks for all the replies.
I think I am going to go with the reenforced snapdragon + implosion bar.

Far too lazy to make my own, now that the rivers are flowing, would rather go kayaking in the evening, but fixing the current one sounds pretty straightforward.  I've found that its not usually fixing things that take the time, its getting the stuff needed to fix it which always takes the time.

-------------

Posted By: jP
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2008 at 8:01pm
Yeah, I hear ya. to be honest, these days the idea of just shelling out a Ben franklin an some change sounds a lot easier than building a skirt. Life's busy enough. Shell out some cash and get on the water. The repair is worthy of your time to get a can of glue at SRK, ect. though. Then you have a back up skirt.

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2008 at 8:44pm
Just got the snapdragon and implosion bar from aquasport.

I did end up fixing the other sprayskirt, bought some neoprene glue while I was getting the sprayskirt and sewed it up also to reinforce it, looks to be pretty strong, I'll stick a patch on it  with contact cement also as a final backup.

I'll keep using this one on the jackson though, it does not let a drop of water in, its a parfect fit.. I mean its like a friggin tupperware seal.

Cheers.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window