Trip Discussion's: CC Lewis Race Discussion Thread
Print Page | Close Window

CC Lewis Race Discussion Thread

Printed From: ProfessorPaddle.com
Category: General
Forum Name: Trip Discussion's
Forum Discription: This forum is for discussing Trips which have been posted through the Trips Tool.
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6461
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 7:51am

Topic: CC Lewis Race Discussion Thread
Posted By: Tobin
Subject: CC Lewis Race Discussion Thread
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2008 at 7:07pm

This is the CC Lewis Race discussion thread. Please post any questions below.

Remember the actual Trip Details are located on the CC Lewis Race | Trip Page

I am heading to the race after work on Friday, camping at Oly's place. I'll have room for 2 more with me and hoping to get some stoke going on for this epic event!!

This is the reincarnation of the classic CC race. Luke has done an amazing job putting this together and it would be sweet for a huge PP crew to roll down.

There are several divisions and great prizes, and really I cannot say enough about the hospitality of the Olsen's. It's a good time now matter how you place!

Replies:
Posted By: cronar
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2008 at 11:35am
Do I understand the Google map thingy that the competitors will be putting in at the high steel bridge and not the normal put-in for the run?  That's interesting.  Was planning on heading down for the race, not sure where I'm staying the night before, maybe the campground on the lake.
-N

Posted By: slickhorn
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2008 at 3:17pm
Nick, which cg is that?  

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2008 at 3:46pm
Brian, it's the cg just west of the takeout bridge.  Where the boat ramp is.

Posted By: The OAC
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2008 at 9:10pm

As of right now I'm planning on heading down day of.  Probably head back pretty quick after if anyone else is on a tight schedule and wants a ride.

Jeff

-------------
The OAC is a private username and is not connected with the good folks at the OAC kayak shop, who are in no way responsible for ranting, soap boxing, or mud slinging conducted under this name.

Posted By: dragorossinw
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2008 at 9:42am

Glad to hear some folks are heading down for the race!  I live less then 15 minutes from the put in (and 2 minutes from the EFL), and anyone is welcome to crash on my property.  5 acres should accomidate a lot of tents or trailers, plus I'll have the bon fire going Friday night.  Drop me an email if you need a place to stay, I'll be sure to mow thursday.  dragorossinorthwest@yahoo.com     Tony Z

-------------
Tony Z
dragorossinorthwest@yahoo.com
www.nookiekayaking.us
www.dragorossi.com
www.donkeyfIip.com

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2008 at 11:20am
Looks like the campground on the lake I was intending to use doesn't open until after Memorial Day.  Tony, I'll be bringing my dog.  Is that alright at your place?  She'd be sleeping in the car anyway.
Let me know.
-Nick

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2008 at 7:33am
I am heading down after work on Friday. We are going to make a weekend of it. The hootie is full as of now, but anyone that wants to go, we can caravan down south.

There is rain forcasted between now and then so the levels should come up. Hopefully to a good juicy flow.

-------------
Sure?

Posted By: RemAcct2
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2008 at 11:27am
Hey Tobin - I may be heading down this weekend, unless I head east...

-------------

Posted By: PowWrangler
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2008 at 12:20pm
I'm thinking of heading down for this, but want to get a couple laps in that day as well.  I wonder if they'll mind folks paddling thru inbetween heats.  I'd race, but have never been down before. 

Posted By: Fish
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2008 at 12:51pm
Pow- there will be people boating this creek all morning and afternoon who are not racing.  Lots of opportunity to bomb down and dial lines.  The course will be short, start to finish maybe 15 minutes...

northwestcreekcomp.org   for race info.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2008 at 1:36pm
Let me know what you decide Leif, I have to take down a bunch of boats, but KC can handle that.

-------------
Sure?

Posted By: STLboater
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2008 at 2:26pm
I'm there

-------------
Kayak Academy Whitewater Instructor

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 8:25am
I'll be in town with my folks, but probably not gonna get out on the water.  My dad's a rafter and has grown up around Amboy, but never really seen any of Canyon Creek. 

Anyone know of a way to hike in easily to a good vantage along the course, or at least near a worthy drop? 

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 8:35am
Brian - I have heard there is a trail down to Kahuna on the river right side. Access would be from the weyerhaeuser land by way of the bungee bridge..

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 9:05am
Brian, you're not getting out?  Damn.  I was thinking you were going to take the IK class.
-N

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 9:13am
Thanks Leif.  Anyone know how to find that trail?  Or the bungee bridge?  I've never even gotten to that ...

Nick, I wish I could make it.  I'm not in racing shape at the moment but it'd be damn fun to see if I could be competitive with Fish.  ;-)  Race will be won or lost in the mank pile just above Champagne.  That's my call lol

My gf just had ankle surgery, so I'm mostly on-call around the house right now.  Hopefully I can sneak out and get eyes on the course,  at least. 

Hope everyone has a great time and clean lines!

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 9:54am
The bungee bridge is a turn-off before the road goes up a hill and then joins the river.  Kind of hard to describe.

The trail is rumor at this point, but in looking at Google maps, looks promising.  Based on what I see, this might be the trail (follow link):

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=h&msa=0&ll=45.949813,-122.345585&spn=0.00152,0.002146&z=19&msid=117849537533844352140.00044a5f40422d449f8c1

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 10:03am
Ya think so?  I don't given the levels and needing to run the gut or very near on Thrasher.  I'm thinking it'll be won loss with the start (flip or not) and at Chunder at the bottom of the boulder garden.  The mank cleans up with more water and there is a fast line there.  Not saying where though.

I've got an email into one of the organizers about hiking access.  When I get a response I'll post here.
-N

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 10:08am
Thought the course was kahuna through the drop zone?  Is it terminator through hammering spot?

if it includes the boulder garden, then yeah that'll be a spot, as will the route through the mank leadin ...

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 10:45am
Course starts just above the last Thrasher, then through the boulder garden and finishes in the runout below Hammering spot.  At least that's what the web site shows.  And for an update from one of the organizers regarding access.  Nothing much about access to Kahuna, other than it's hard.  Here's what I got.  Would be good to see a bunch of Puget Sound paddlers down there representing.

Kahuna is a very hard spot to get to. However we will be shuttling with a powerboat         up to Champagne and Hammering Spot, which is a great place to watch. Volunteers     and media will take first priority and after they are shuttled we can shuttle spectators.     The shuttle will run to 11 and then again at the end of the day to get back. We will also     have canoes for people to get across the lake to spectate. The weather is looking         good so and anticipation is high!

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 11:07am
I am leaning towards coming down as low as the Wenatchee is continuing to look.  If I come down, King Chili has to get filled up with people, though...

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 3:23pm
For those of you coming down this Friday,  a bunch of us will be camped out at the Canyon Creek  takeout, I'm hoping to grab some early AM laps before things get going Saturday morning.

Should be a great spectator event as well,  boat shuttles accross the lake to the finish line, free van shuttles to the put in, and an epic party afterwards!

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 1:24pm
I am heading down tomorrow (Fri) afternoon.  King Chili will probably have an extra seat or two, so call me if you want to carpool.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 2:16pm
is anyone trying to do a run friday afternoon?

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 2:50pm
Yes.  a group of us will be leaving Seattle area around 2:00 friday,  heading to the take out.  There will be people there running laps till dark, hoping to get at least 1,  maybe 2.  

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 3:02pm
...While some of us will be soaking in Oly's hot tub until dark...

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 3:32pm
Some of us may not want to see you soaking in a hot tub and would prefer it to be dark if that is the case.

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 4:08pm
See ya there. We will be rolling in about 9

-------------
Sure?

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 5:41pm
Fish, I might try to meet up with you on your way down for a lap.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 6:04pm
Sounds good,  we'll look for ya

-------------

Posted By: Yotes
Date Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 8:30pm
I'll see you guys tomorrow night!  Who's got the PBR?

Posted By: dragorossinw
Date Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 9:05pm
Folks are welcome to camp at my place, I'm about 10 minutes from the event site, and have 5 acres to accomidate everyone, just drop me a note.

To my place.  Hwy 503 North or South, Turn onto Rock Creek Road at the Lucia Falls/ Moulton Falls Sign.  Round the bend, slow down, and take a left onto the gravel drive at 317th ST.  You should be able to see the bon fire from the road. 

Tony Z

-------------
Tony Z
dragorossinorthwest@yahoo.com
www.nookiekayaking.us
www.dragorossi.com
www.donkeyfIip.com

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 10:29pm
No takers on carpooling in King Chili? I have 2 seats left...

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 11:25pm
Fish, im' going to ride down with Lief.  He's leaving seattle earlier than you guys, it'll be nice to have gaurenteed sunlight for a run

-------------

Posted By: jP
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 10:59pm
Great trip, guys. Good to see you all down there. Nice to feel some fluffy gravity mixed with sunshine and low-stress lines. Let's hope there's good water for the Robe race.

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Print Page | Close Window