Trip Discussion's: Sat Sky Discussion Thread
Print Page | Close Window

Sat Sky Discussion Thread

Printed From: ProfessorPaddle.com
Category: General
Forum Name: Trip Discussion's
Forum Discription: This forum is for discussing Trips which have been posted through the Trips Tool.
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5922
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 12:35am

Topic: Sat Sky Discussion Thread
Posted By: skim
Subject: Sat Sky Discussion Thread
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2007 at 1:26pm

This is the Sat Sky discussion thread. Please post any questions below.

Remember the actual Trip Details are located on the Sat Sky | Trip Page

Levels looking mighty good.  For those folks that aren't creek worthy this is it.  This may change to the MM run if the MM goes above 3k.  

Replies:
Posted By: Tobin
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2007 at 1:42pm
Why aren't ya coming down south?

-------------
Sure?

Posted By: erikSANDSTROM
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2007 at 3:52pm
El Sky is forecasted for 9K, Ol' MM'ey will be at 5K. I'm not going to make the Lewis either. Let's see what happens nearby. I'm leaning towards Ol' MM'ey.

-------------
This river don't go to Aintry. You done taken a wrong turn.

Posted By: Texas Dave
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2007 at 6:05pm
Hey Sampson, how about hitting the SF Stilly instead of the sky.  I've been icthing to get back on it at a higher level.  Current forecast looks sweet for the weekend, 7 - 8 feet on Saturday and just under 7 on Sunday.

dave

Posted By: ashleygoesdisco
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2007 at 6:07pm
Samson! I'm creeking this weekend. If I can creek, you can creek.

CREEEEEEKKKKKK!

-------------
Ashley Duffus
Well behaved women rarely make history.
www.naiyadays.blogspot.com

Posted By: arnobarno
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2007 at 7:50pm
Deborah and I are definitely looking to do something on Saturday - SF Stilly, Sauk, MM, Sky or even SF Snoq at a descent level if it finally comes back in.

As far as levels go, it is a total crapshoot.  My prediction is that we are not going to get a great deal of rain Friday/Friday night so MM @ 5K looks particularly unlikely to me.

Anybody else want to prognosticate?

-------------
arn9schaeffer@gmail.com (remove 9 for my real email address)

Posted By: water wacko
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2007 at 8:26pm
I am totally willing to show you guys down the Sky at whatever the level. There are tons of on the fly features. I'm not sponsored by the Sky, but the Sky is way better than the MM anyday.

-------------
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman

Posted By: justin
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2007 at 8:27pm
If I can get myself a ride i'd love to boat with you guys this weekend.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2007 at 9:20pm
Brett - you are funny.  I'm not sponsored by the Sky or the MM.  And, even though BD is more exciting than any rapid on the MM, I still like the MM better. 

Heresy??

Though perhaps it is because I hate driving even more than I like kayaking!

Now that, is heresy!

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 1:56am
Yo Dave-o,

I may take you up on that offer.  How long is the run?  Is it possible to do both the Stilly and the Sauk in one day?   It would be nice to do a new run for a change.  Let me get back to you. 
No creeking for me since me got no creeker.
Brett, doesn't most of the play features on the Sky wash out above 7500?  Unless of course you consider playing in big, nasty holes as play features.

-------------
boof it for crying out loud

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 1:59am
How bout a Sun morning MM run Mr Sand-man?  You down with dat?  Like a Sun 10 am run.    

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 6:51am
No, no washing out. Actually, between 8 and 11 thousand there are a ton of great on the fly waves with good piles on them. There are also a few big holes, but most of the scarey holes come out around 4-6000. C'mon!

-------------
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 6:56am
Most of the truly epic play on the sky comes in above 15K. IE: Powerline wave and the Weir.

-------------

Posted By: huckin harms
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 7:30am

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 7:39am
I'm lying, Mike. I've never run it above 3750. For the months of Nov and Dec last year it pretty much never went below 10. James, you should make a new forum called "Doubt".

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 8:58am
say what?!

yeah, doubting your authenticity....

look, Brett, you sound like a choo choo train tooting its horn at every track.

"look at me, look at me, I'm a sponsored playboater" 

notice, I didn't say pro - cause pros huck the meat.

Now call me out... but I never said I was either. 

-------------

Posted By: Adrian
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 12:42pm
Just talked to Samson about this. We are going to do the SF stilly on Saturday instead of the Sky.
He'll update the trip later.

-------------
Adrian (20six) 34nine 6two51

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 12:52pm
Mike, take it easy. Just so you know I did run the Sky at 20,000 last year with Bowman and Rob right after the flood. I've run the N fork at 25k on the main also. I'm not tooting my horn, I'm simply commenting on a message board. Enough with the sponsorship BS. I have not become a sales based politician because Jackson gives me boats. Enough, I beg you. jeez. Also, for your information, I do huck my meat in a way that does not cause injury. I've never been injured more than a skinned knuckle in my 12 years kayaking. For a reason. Please direct all other disparaging remarks intended for this sponsored paddler to the "Bash A Pro" forum. thank you. You might be a happier paddler if you tried a Jackson, Mike.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 1:20pm
Adrian (Samson, Dave) and other SF Stilly watchers,
Deborah and I are certainly up for joining you tomorrow and Deborah has already baked brownies.  And, I know that Dave would really like to hop on this and I know that Adrian may still have a score to settle with the SF Stilly.

But, I think it is unlikely we are going to get any significant rain until we'd put on tomorrow (of course).  And, the level on this is dropping like a rock - as fast as it shot up.  Currently 8.25 feet (4800 cfs) down from 9.9 feet (8100 cfs) only 8 hours ago.

I've done this river at 3 levels:
7.5 feet = 3500 cfs = scary, with Adrian swallowed by hole, practically never to be seen again :-)
5.25 feet = 900 cfs = boring and rocky.
6.0 feet = 1500 cfs = fun

I wouldn't want to do it too much below 6 feet and I think the forecast is optimistic.  Just my two cents.  MM should be at a fun level in any event.
arn

-------------

Posted By: James
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 1:21pm
I would say just the fact you have been boating for 12 years makes you a pro! Hot diggity!

But please don't start the injury talk right now, thats a low blow, and in God's eyes all injuries are the same right? Plus Tao (not god but both are three letters) uses that line in each interview, and you don't want to get busted by the big boy!

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 1:35pm
ok.  so let's tentatively plan the SF Stilly if it's above 7.5ft with the MM serving as the fallback if that's above 3k.  Otherwise the sky at > 10k sounds like a nice treat.  

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 2:03pm

Choo Choo,

Thanks Brett for illustrating my point!

-------------

Posted By: Ryan
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 2:09pm
Samson, I've got a creeker you can borrow.  Great!  I'll pick you up and we'll head down south.  see you then 

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 2:37pm
Okay, you're right. I'll keep tooting my horn through your impenetrable toot-proof radar. Buy Jackson Kayaks!

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 4:03pm
Stilly is dropping pretty fast but still forecast to be 6 to 7 feet and it has been raining up here pretty good.  maybe it will stay up a little higher.  Either Above or below 7 feet, I'm in.

-------------
Dave

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 4:48pm
Brett.... I am just curious and this is for the sake of everyones knowledge here... what kind of boats were you guys using on that 20k day? And what lines did you guys take though boulder drop.... At those levels I freakin get lost in that thing....

J

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 5:54pm
Well, I can't speak for everyone but in my opinion it is playboats all the way at that level. Apart from the manuverability that smaller boats offer in that kind of water, it is worth it to bring them for the waves at powerline and the weir! Not to mention the fact that there are no huge, cross-river ferries that you need a lot of speed for. So yeah, give-r in the spuds.

-------------

Posted By: hugo
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by water wacko

Mike, take it easy. Just so you know I did run the Sky at 20,000 last year with Bowman and Rob right after the flood. I've run the N fork at 25k on the main also. 

Am i thinking about the same sky?  When the fuck did that become the river to test your mettle against (unless you are that one crazy dude that put on at mad high h2o last fall in his old ass diablo).  Bragging about your feats on the most commonly run river in the state is like half a step above saying you are a bad ass because you paddled the MM at 10k or the powerhouse at 20k.  Maybe I am crazy, but when did running the sky at any level consitute running the proverbial shit? 

Hugo has spoken.

-------------
suck it

Posted By: The OAC
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 6:36pm
James, if memory serves we were all in playboats.  Mercy shoot is the "standard" line at that level.  There is another line down the far left, and numerous other possibilities waiting to be tested.  Mercy shoot at that level has a fun, fast feel with very few consequences.  You can either ride it down the whole way or work back toward the middle after the picket fence.  On that note it was proven today that the needle goes at 13g, by braver souls than I (one guess as to who that was). 

Jeff

Posted By: The OAC
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 6:40pm
PS... ease off there Hugo.  There are plenty of ways to make the Sky more than challenging at 20k.  For that matter there are plenty of ways to make it challenging well below that.  I haven't been on it (yet) at 45k, but there is no reason to assume that that level is inherently any more difficult.  It may or may not be.  You don't have to go out of your way to be exotic just to test your mettle.

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 7:24pm
I was just curious, I figured as much, well that and I was trying to set it up so Brett could make another post with this Brand.... lol

I would say that Boulder Drop could go on the Top Class V rapids for the state! Access! Routes! its a rad little spot!

J

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 7:42pm
Well, thanks for asking, James! I happened to be paddling a Fun made by Brett's Sponsor's Kayak. (The best kayak manufacturer around in my opinion) It was a lot of FUN, actually! And the differences aren't that pronounced between 10k and 20k. Yes, some of the holes are bigger, but they are still in the same places. That said, I would expect if people are paddling above 10 they have the skill and know the lines. Above 14k mercy chute has a ledge hole develop at the bottom of her that deserves a scout. Left side goes too, all the way down. 20 is as high as I've run it, but I can't imagine the water is that much harder between 20 and 30k. This is only speculation. Play boats are better in big water because they correct easier. It doesn't take 20k for a ball check on the Sky. I know a hole at 2k that'll whip ya.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 7:43pm
Brett's Sponsor's

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 7:44pm
that's good, James. let's try this Jack son
Jack's son        Jakcson        Jakson       Jacson

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 7:46pm
I could have fun with that. James, I'm going for full disclosure, damn it! I don't want to lead anybody on! They need to know I'm a J A C K S O N   T E A M paddler!

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 8:22pm
Brett's Sponsor's   kayak
Brett's Sponsor's   KaYaK
Brett's Sponsor's   KAYAK

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 8:23pm
funny

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2007 at 8:28pm
dave post a message if it's still a go in the morning.  like around 8 to 8:30.  

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2007 at 7:51am

Well, I'm going to run the Stilly this morning.  Feel free to join me.  Meet across from the verlot ranger station at 11.  This will be a fun level but not scary as Arn put it in an earlier post.  I'm going to post a trip for this as well since this post has gotten kind of muddled.

Dave

-------------
Dave

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2007 at 8:00am

Muddled?! 

Sky today... some time afternoon (and hopefully after tt).

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2007 at 9:00am
Cmon you guys have to think thats funny.... lol

I'm jess playing around... I knew if I asked you would drop the sponsor and I could test my little word sniffer ehehheh.. I can disable it .... it was just a little funski!

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2007 at 9:05am
Brett's Sponsor's

you might disable it James as there are many others who like to talk about J A C K S O N   K A Y A K S !!!!   and it might mess with them a little.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window