Forum Name: Whitewater Forum
Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5594
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 7:04am

Topic: Limp Wrist Falls?
Posted By: Rock
Subject: Limp Wrist Falls?
Date Posted: 23 Aug 2007 at 6:08pm
Does anyone have any beta on Limp Wrist Falls? i.e. How tall is it? What is the best level to run it?

Thanks,
Erik

-------------
-Erik

Replies:
Posted By: Erik
Date Posted: 23 Aug 2007 at 7:21pm
30/35 ft?  Something like that.  'bout 5 ft of lead-in drop, and 25 - 30 freefall.  I've run it at around 350cfs on the gage.  That was fine.  I wouldn't go much lower, but it certainly has been run lower.  Kind of a hard green-water hit at lower levels.

I saw someone's vid this year at higher water, and it looked much mo' betta.  I think it was on here.

Pretty safe landing zone.

Cheerio.

Posted By: James
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2007 at 1:11pm
Ok so is it Limp Wrist or Corn Dog on a Stick or is it 1000 dollar falls?

We could also do a join on all the names above to get the ultimate reference.

The $1000.00 Limp Corn Dogger

For all those that have dropped it or not, what was the order of naming. I think Limp Wrist was first, then Corn Dog on a Stick from Chris J, then Thousand Dollar Falls from the more memorable of the droppings.

You always hear did you do that drop, or have you dropped that one yet, but I never hear have you done that descent or descended that one yet. So why do we talk about peoples descents? Shouldn't we be talking about peoples droppings?

If you hit this waterfall up Erik, I would love to hear about your corn dog droppings.

J

-------------

Posted By: Kiwi
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2009 at 11:34pm
bringing this thead back from the depths...
2 things: I don't like getting hurt, how high was the flow in that video that's descibed above, and how do you get to the falls? exit 38 and take a left past the offramp? does it get snowbound in winter?

thanks

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2009 at 8:59am
Kiwi, no it does not get snowbound in the winter. In that video it was something like 5k (correction 5k on the middle) if I remember correctly.

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2009 at 10:37am
cool, I've only seen it blasting by on the way back from climbing at E38. I want to run it when there's alot of water in it, hitting water from 30 ft it better be airated.

Posted By: STLboater
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2009 at 5:11pm
Fired it up on saturday with about 2300cfs, not sure if i'd do it again at that level.  The lead in was so shallow, and the move to get to where i wanted to be on the drop was MUCH harder than I thought it was going to be.

I'll add a pic.

-Gordon

-------------
Kayak Academy Whitewater Instructor

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2009 at 5:19pm

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2009 at 5:21pm
I also added a full res version in the photo gallery

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2009 at 8:24pm
damn, how was the hit at the bottom? looks like you kinda missed the main flow of water...

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2009 at 8:28pm
well I aimed for the boils in the middle, just the best entrance looked like it was on the river left. Hit wasn't that bad, but once again i kinda worked over to the aerated water.

-------------

Posted By: ALCOHOLIC
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 12:51am
James what happened to "Paddle Snapper"? That was the first name I ever heard it called, before that I called it the I-90 drop... How bout "1000$ limp corn drop snapper on I-90".... Huh? aww yeazz..

So there were a couple videos up a couple few years back, one is running it around 5300 on the middle middle. The other was running it at around 6000 on the middle middle and there was another time we fired it up around 6600. All are great levels but surprisingly going from 6-6600 actually turns that damn pool into a pretty pushy current.   However, it makes that landing equivalent to dropping a 30 footer into 4 feet of fresh powder... ooooh so soft! Actually, at that level the drop should be called "Fluffy Bunny", plug the sh*t out of it and you wont feel a thing..

Also, if you do run it over 6500 then there is a 91.47% chance you will be running the rapid below it.   It's a 4+ rapid at that level and has a sticky hole right in the middle that handed me a little ass whoopin. Kind of a buzz kill after runnin the drop ya know... Anyhooters, here ya go:

Video with 1000$ limp corn drop snapper on I-90 around 5K: http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=4998575
Video with 1000$ limp corn drop snapper on I-90 around 6K: http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=7025825

Sorry no footy of the 6600. Hope this helps. Good luck, have fun, BE safe....

J

-------------
Masturbating Monkey

Posted By: jP
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 12:07pm
For the record the earliest name I'm aware of for this waterfall is "Boxed Lunch". It's generally fitting to give naming rights to those who were first to nut up and run it.

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 4:27pm
damn, I really don't want to run twin falls, how far down is it? was the "sweet class IV" the one right below limp wrist?

Posted By: jP
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2009 at 12:15pm
No.

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Posted By: joshcrossman
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2009 at 10:00pm
if we can't get something going on the sky drainage tmrw, i might be interested in a little park and huck there, if someone who is regular there goes.

-------------
i like it when it rains

Posted By: cronar
Date Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 11:54pm
Sorry jp, it was run well before chrisj did it. That guy got the naming rights and it wasn't box lunch

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 6:04am
I thought thats why it was limp wrist, cuz he hurt his wrist on the first D. 

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 8:42am
OK, resurrecting this post. I've never run a 35 footer-- 20+ is probably the most I've ever done, and would love to run limp wrist falls sometime this spring.   So a few questions:

1) I want to really nail it, so where can i practice near Seattle on smaller drops my angle so i'm not landing flat or over the handle bars? the EF Lewis / Sunshine I know, but it's a weekend mission really.   

2) The way I read this, ideal level is when the MM is like 5-6K and/or the gauge is at 550 on the SF?

3) Who has run it before and would like to go out with me?

-------------
i like it when it rains

Posted By: runawayjim
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 10:08am
We ran it last weekend when the MM was at about 4500 cfs and the SF near Garcia was at 1100 cfs and rising. I thought the flows were on the lower side of good.

As for practicing, just go do it. Most of use had no experience with drops like this and it went fine.

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 10:23am
Gotcha, super helpful. Next time you go out, let me know!

-------------
i like it when it rains

Posted By: BrianP
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 11:35am
I haven't run this one but I've run others in this range. Just looking quickly at some low water video's it looks like it sets your angle for you mostly, but you can certainly practice your tuck. Going through the motions and training yourself before hand will help because nerves happen and you forget.

With more water I'm sure it's a better lead in and you can leave your paddle engaged until you spot your landing. That way you can adjust your angle until the last possible second.

And lastly with enough water you can probably boof it (don't take my word for it though!) so I'll leave you with the advice that I heard given about Illgen falls here in MN (35ish-footer): "Any time you can boof the sh*t out of a 35 foot water fall, you do so!"

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 10:06pm
ooohhhh.... levels are in right now, not sure if it will hold through tomorrow afternoon. If it does, anyone interested? love to go with someone who has done it before.   Otherwise, it looks like late next week it may come back...

-------------
i like it when it rains

Posted By: outdoorjunkie88
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 8:48am
Its probably at a good flow now.  Get it!!! Mos people take a line just left of center to insure a good tuck but if it is high enough the center line would be sweet.  At lower flows, there is an autoboof flake in the center.  I'm bus this weekend but could try to catch it on a weekday next week.

-------------
Drew C.

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 11:06pm
I'm totally good for next week--it looks like it will drop later in the week. Will it be mon or Tuesday? I can swing the afternoons then.   

-------------
i like it when it rains

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 9:57pm
Anyone want to give it a scout tmrw? I can head over anytime

-------------
i like it when it rains

Posted By: rshingle
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 12:42am
I can go in the morning. I have to be back to Seattle by noon.

-------------
Rob Shingleton
815-238-8405

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 6:21am
Cool. Meet at 9:30?   I'll text you

-------------
i like it when it rains

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 9:26pm
OK, so this will not be new news to some, but a few other folks had said that limp wrist is in when garcia is above 600. That may be some folks who huck all the time, but I went scouting early this morning it was too low for my taste.   There was nice aeration on right/center, but it was small and the boof flake on left would make it hard to cut right during the drop. It maybe possible to be done, but probably not by me on my first run here. I took pictures if anyone cares. So... here's hoping another big storm comes through and the drainage spikes, but I'm a little doubtful until the fall.

-------------
i like it when it rains

Posted By: bigboof
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 3:14pm
look for 900 - 1000 on the gauge. i don't know specifics but my guess is they divert up to about 500cfs just above the falls.

so if the gauge is 600 you may have ~100 at the falls. if the gauge is 900 you have ~400 at the falls.

it will run this spring for sure. couple hot days and it will be cranking. still snowing up high and rain on snow will get it going too.

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 5:47pm
thanks, super helpful. hope so!

-------------
i like it when it rains

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 5:59pm
I doubt it will be in. Look for 3000 to 7000. On the middle middle. Have to catch it on a spike or drop

-------------
Drew C.

Date Posted: 05 May 2017 at 9:40am
OK, looks like it is in! But I can't make it out today-- I was originally heading to Leavenworth tonight, but I could do Limp Wrist tmrw if we can rally anyone to do in the early Sat AM, like 7 AM.   Anyone up for it?

-------------
i like it when it rains

Date Posted: 05 May 2017 at 10:23am
I'll be at the sultan. Was going to check it out this afternoon.

-------------
Drew C.

Date Posted: 05 May 2017 at 11:17am
Yeah, at best I can get there like 6:30-7 PM tonight which may be a little sketchy with the light.   Can't make earlier this afternoon, but can do tmrw AM, if anyone up for it.

-------------
i like it when it rains

Date Posted: 05 May 2017 at 12:42pm
Hey drew, what time do you think you will head over? Chance I can make it by 5?

-------------
i like it when it rains

Print Page | Close Window