Trip Discussion's: Thomson River + others trip Discussion Thread
Print Page | Close Window

Thomson River + others trip Discussion Thread

Printed From: ProfessorPaddle.com
Category: General
Forum Name: Trip Discussion's
Forum Discription: This forum is for discussing Trips which have been posted through the Trips Tool.
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5574
Printed Date: 18 Apr 2024 at 8:55pm

Topic: Thomson River + others trip Discussion Thread
Posted By: Adrian
Subject: Thomson River + others trip Discussion Thread
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2007 at 10:32am

This is the Thomson River + others trip discussion thread. Please post any questions below.

Remember the actual Trip Details are located on the Thomson River + others trip | Trip Page

A bunch of us are heading up to BC to hit the Thomson last weekend in September. Hopefully the levels will be low enough for the frog to  be in.

We'll hit other rivers in the area also eg Nahatlatch.  Planning on 3 days there Sat -> Mon.

Finalize camping and meeting places closer to the time.

Replies:
Posted By: James
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2007 at 10:40am
The nahatlatch will be really really low by then but I think you probably picked the best weekend for the Frog there is this year. Maybe the last weekend is just as good to but this should be right in that window where it is kickin. The Stien is another you should certainly check out.

James

-------------

Posted By: arnobarno
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2007 at 11:12am
Looks like fun but we have other plans that weekend.  I'd like to hit the Thompson this year and could possibly make any of the first 3 weekends in September work.  Which leads me to a question...

James - I am having a hard time parsing your response to Adrian.  You wrote that "you picked the best weekend...maybe the last weekend is just as good..." and Adrian posted his trip for the last weekend in September, already.  So, I can't tell if you are really making a water projection 5 weeks out or thought his posting was for another time.

In any event, what I really want to try to understand is whether levels should be favorable in the first half of September or not.

D & I are off to the Rogue tomorrow for a few days of splashy easy fun.  See ya later.

-------------
arn9schaeffer@gmail.com (remove 9 for my real email address)

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2007 at 11:28am
The frog does not come in until the Thomson drops low enough. It came in about this time last year and with this years snow melt it could be later. (This is what I've been told anyway)

So the weekend is chosen to have the best chance of the frog and also a date that works with peoples schedules.

-------------
Adrian (20six) 34nine 6two51

Posted By: tradguy2
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2007 at 11:31am
I'm interested Adrian, I'll let you know for sure later in the week. 

Tom

-------------
... preparing for a river beating!     

Posted By: RemAcct2
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2007 at 12:18pm
I may be up for this weekend, but will probably go up Labor day weekend as well (will post a trip)

-------------

Posted By: Camrun
Date Posted: 22 Aug 2007 at 10:44am
Count me in on the Thompson! Where can I get more info on the "other rivers" ?
Thanks all.
Larry

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2007 at 3:03pm
The "other" rivers are whatever other rivers are running that we can do.
The other suggestion so far is the Stein. The nahatchalachachach  will be too low by then unfortunately.

-------------

Posted By: ashleygoesdisco
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2007 at 12:10am
The Nahatatclahahatcalatch? Best part about that name is, no matter how badly you butcher it, as long as you have nat and latch in there, someone knows what you mean...

And... the Stein is pretty gnarly...

DO IT!

-------------
Ashley Duffus
Well behaved women rarely make history.
www.naiyadays.blogspot.com

Date Posted: 05 Sep 2007 at 9:48am
Bad news for all the Froggers out there.

The thompson just took a Jump of almost 50 CMS over the past few days. Unless it comes down in a big way it might not be in until Oct.

Right now it is at around 480 cms. The frog comes out at around 420 with the rest of the shady crowd, it gets primed around 360-380.

-------------

Posted By: huckin harms
Date Posted: 05 Sep 2007 at 10:28am
did someone say 420?

Date Posted: 05 Sep 2007 at 10:40am

-------------
Ashley Duffus

Date Posted: 05 Sep 2007 at 10:41am
CMS mike CMS...

Cubic Meters Per Second

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Sep 2007 at 11:43am
Is there an online gauge for the Thomson somewhere?

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Sep 2007 at 11:59am
I just found this http://scitech.pyr.ec.gc.ca/waterweb/formnav.asp
Kinda of annoying to use.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Sep 2007 at 12:02pm
Here is the Link : http://scitech.pyr.ec.gc.ca/waterweb/fullgraph.asp

Unfortunately you have to sign a waiver before you can retrieve the water levels so links can not be given out directly to the pages you need. THAT IS LAME IMHO

So pull up the value for Thompson River - Spences Bridge

Then make sure to use the Discharge Value and you are left with a graph that you must visually look at to get the CMS value.

J

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Sep 2007 at 12:04pm
Actually, I think it works okay but I haven't figured out a way to save a link to a particular station so you need to go through the motion of picking the province, river and setting the parameter you want (discharge, for example).  Maybe this is what you are finding annoying

What is interesting though is you can choose to view the water temperature.  18.5C (65F) for the Thomson right now.  That sounds balmy!

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Sep 2007 at 12:17pm
Thats what were talking about Arno... I hate that and it has made pulling that value with xml parsing a complete nightmare!

I am just now finishing up my cookie monster to deal with this dog gone system...

Until then the link has also been posted to the Thompson River Page!

-------------

Posted By: justin
Date Posted: 05 Sep 2007 at 1:21pm
samson said that the folks at REO said that the frog is in. 

Date Posted: 05 Sep 2007 at 2:12pm
I dunno if I would trust anyone at REO about the Frog... Kumsheen is the local beta on that spot. The wave might be there but it has a very wide range of flows that it is there. It does not get good enough for me to drive until 380-400 ... thats just me though.

J

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Sep 2007 at 5:42pm
Its got a whole month to drop and looking at the graph, it dropped 40 in 5 days so its feasible as long as there is not too much rain.
Hopefully it will be in by the end of the month.

Good luck James in getting the cookie monster to work, hate those sites that don't allow deep links. Have had to do this at work a couple of times before, hopefully they are not doing anything sneaky with the cookie.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2007 at 6:27pm
I'll be making a 3-day weekend out of this trip.  Who wants to come in the truck.  Since it will just be play boats, I should be able to accomodate 3 boaters in addition to myself.

Let me know...

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2007 at 9:28pm
Leif- I'll say, tentatively, that I'll be carpooling with you. Just don't give away all the spots yet. My dad might actually make it for this one, we'll see how much prodding I have to do... =)

He'll probably say something, but I believe Justin was also looking for a ride up, since Heather's shoulder is all jacked up. No good man, no good.

-------------
Ashley Duffus

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2007 at 8:53am
Ashley does your dad still know how to post? What about Roll?

hehehe

J

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2007 at 10:22am
Post? NO. Although he reads alot of the stuff on here. And he still rolls better than I do. Darn it.

-------------
Ashley Duffus

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2007 at 4:49pm
Hey - Deborah and I are up here in Whistler visiting some friends and doing some mountain biking.  Yeah, well we gotta get in all the biking we can before the rains start again.

Anyway, while wandering around, we came across a brochure about a rafting river race going on on the Thompson on 9/29.  They look like a good organization but FYI, there may be a lot of rafters while you guys are there that day (hey, even with the rafters, we still wish we could go but have other plans that weekend).

See www.freeflowingrivers.org

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2007 at 9:24pm
I still would like to go on this trip, unfortunately Heather won't be going due to her shoulder injury.  Is someone willing to let me carpool with them?

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2007 at 8:38am
Justin - I can give you a ride.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2007 at 8:43am
Hokey. Dad is out. 

Leif! I'm in with you!

Just kidding.

-------------
Ashley Duffus

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2007 at 10:02am
I hate to say this but the thompson is at 410 and droping 10 cms per day.

Its gonna be in the 400 - 380 zone this weekend. Hmmm

J

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2007 at 10:06am
Do we need to move the trip up a week?

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2007 at 10:23am
Eh?!

-------------
Ashley Duffus

Posted By: Ryan
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2007 at 11:02am
I am going to hang out with Tommy and Mr. Frogger this weekend.

Possibly a low water Natty along with an ice cold Natty.

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2007 at 11:03am
So thats it huh... your plans are set on the Frog spot huh...

Man this is a tough one!

J

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2007 at 11:16am
So, anyone got thoughts as to whether we should wait until the end of the month, or do this earlier?  When I go, I am going to make it a 3 day weekend...

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2007 at 11:16am
Well there is fun to be had in Whistler/Squamish but it's getting low and I'd like to enjoy some fun in the sun.. at least on Saturday.

Lytton weather report

Sat: 85/51
Sun: 64/51

Beats the irrigation ditch.... well I think, I've never been. ha! 

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2007 at 11:17am
Bah. Let's keep it the way it is. 

-------------
Ashley Duffus

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2007 at 11:23am
I wasn't trying to convince anyone to change weekends, just stating my plans.  I'm out of town next week so I can't go.

Let me know if anyone else wants to go. 

Posted By: Fish
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2007 at 11:30am
I'm in for Thompson next weekend if you all are still interested... Must say though, TOGA party is gonna be sweeeet! LOL

Scott

-------------

Posted By: bronkrdr
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2007 at 11:46am
TOGA! TOGA! TOGA! My advice to you, start drinking heavily...

-------------
I drink rum and wear my wife's underwear when no one is looking!

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2007 at 11:55am
Is there stuff to do for those of us that do not booze it?

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2007 at 12:12pm
WHAT?!

-------------
Ashley Duffus

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2007 at 12:38pm
WHAT?!?  Captain of the Ranier drinking team....  Yikes.  we need a doctor!  Is there a doctor in the house?  this man is not feeling well!

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2007 at 12:54pm
It's nothing to be alarmed over, It is just that ever since I stopped drinking alcohol I have found alot of people that are ... well kill joy's over my decision.

J

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2007 at 12:57pm
So, James, you are saying you stopped drinking alcohol?  When did this happen?  Did I miss something?

By the way, what are you doing this weekend?

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2007 at 1:03pm
Well, for me to make it a three day weekend it will have to be the last weekend of september.  I have had the days requested off for quite a while and it's not that easy to juggle them around.  I don't know about everyone else.  If you go without me have fun.

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2007 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Fish

WHAT?!?  Captain of the Ranier drinking team....  Yikes.  we need a doctor!  Is there a doctor in the house?  this man is not feeling well!

If you'll recall that part of animal house, the rest of it went something like this "listen to him Otter, he's pre med..."

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2007 at 1:22pm
I am not sure what my plans are this weekend. I quit drinking this morning and I am not going to pick it back up for at least another few hours. I figure it is the responsible thing to do, not drink at work and all. I am not going to make it to BC and I doubt I will make it to the Tieton either. Might be a local one for me.

J

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2007 at 3:03pm
Wheww, thought we lost one there for a while...

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2007 at 8:38pm
This weekend was chosen to fit in with a couple of schedules and give people like justin plenty of time to book vacation time off well in advance.
So lets leave the date as is.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2007 at 1:20am
Thank you Adrian!

-------------
Ashley Duffus

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2007 at 9:44am

Hey Adrian, I haven't seen you in quite a while but I'm glad you got my back.  I'm soo looking foreward to this trip.  I just wish Heather was coming. 

Posted By: erikSANDSTROM
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2007 at 2:57pm
I think Sarah and I will be coming too. We'll have to see when the time gets closer though. We need E.T.'s healing glow finger to fix Heather's shoulder!

-------------
This river don't go to Aintry. You done taken a wrong turn.

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2007 at 6:49pm
Just thought that I would post something to get this trip back into everyones head.  I sure am excited for it.  Who all is going?

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2007 at 8:26pm
IIIIII'm going!

WAAHOOOO CANADA!

-------------
Ashley Duffus

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2007 at 4:45pm
I currently have 2 seats available in the truck. If anyone wants them, give me a call. I had thought we had a full load, but was just informed Ashley and Scott have decided to head out for a nice, romantic drive up to the great white north in the magic sparkle car.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2007 at 5:41pm
HAHAHAHAHAHA.

nice try. not embarassed. you need to learn that you can only embarass me with things that are true, and even then, not easily.

magic sparkle car? hellllyeah! its going to be more fully loaded than your truck, dude.

-------------
Ashley Duffus

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2007 at 11:22am
Leif. We'll ride with you if you don't make us pay so much for gas........

-------------
Ashley Duffus

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2007 at 6:04pm
Any suggestions for good campsites?

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2007 at 9:43pm
here is one that I found on the web.  I think that there are some further up the river too.

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 7:22am
Skihist is nice and is very close to the Frog.  We stayed there a couple weekends ago one night.  They have FLUSHING toilets which is nice.  The camping spots are your typical next to your neighbor in an RV but wasn't too bad.  You can have a fire and they sell wood but it was pricey.

It's $17 a night with one car.  Other cars are more..... well at least they were last year.

You can also stay across the street from the Kumsheen but there is no water or toilet... it's dig a hole type camping.  It's also RIGHT next to the road and 18 wheelers and trains are going by non stop all night so it gets loud.

There is another campsite further down the road past the Frog that was nice but WAY too loud.  There are train tracks really close and on the other side of the canyon.  Unless you plan to drink yourself to passing out get ready to be woken up every hour. by a train.  This is a pay site too.

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 9:50am
Skihist is a good place to meet the first night...I actually liked to open yard Ryan mentioned, but possibly not the best place to hook up the first night.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 10:01am
I think I might be heading up there also. But if the plan is to stay in the pit and Leif is going to be there, I will need to enforce a 15 foot barrier between Leif and any hackysacks.

Ryan - are you going on this trip? What the Frog wave in a few weeks ago when you went up?

Does anyone have fresh beta on the wave? This would certainly be the lowest I have been up there and I don't want to make the drive if the wave is not in!

J

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 10:46am
Originally posted by James

But if the plan is to stay in the pit and Leif is going to be there, I will need to enforce a 15 foot barrier between Leif and any hackysacks.

-------------
Ashley Duffus

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 10:49am
Don't laugh.

The soft, supple underside of my foot broke James' toe last year (James: note the proper use of the apostrophe).  This is something I obviously deeply regret, and will likely never live down.  As such, I think I will refrain from kicking around the hippy sack.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 10:57am
soft supple nothing... You swing yer hoofs around about as graceful as a drunk barbarian horde in a meadow of devils club.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 11:00am
Lets go with Skihist then.
Is there any need to book campsites?

Leif,
Wouldn't we just stay there the whole weekend and not just the first nite. What other info do you have?

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 11:05am
So - I was just suggesting this as it is easy to find.

The open field across from Kumsheen is nice, an free.  I used to not have any problem paying for camp sites, but for some reason, now it bugs me (not sure why, but it could have something to do with James and Dave teaching me the art of free camping).

Second, Kumsheen is nice, and not necessarily more expensive than Skihist.  The down side is there is a strict no dogs policy.  So, is anyone bringing a dog?

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 11:32am
Adrian? Are you bringing the dog?

Leif. You corrected James' spelling, but mis-spelled PROPER. There is one 'p' not two. NICE JOB TURBO.

I laugh at what I want! Very niiiiiiice.

-------------
Ashley Duffus

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 1:44pm
Nope the dog is staying at home this weekend.
James usually brings his dogs though.

-------------

Posted By: erikSANDSTROM
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 3:06pm
I want to hear more about the wave and the dog situation before I head out.

My dog is an American, damn it! She'll camp wherever she wants!

-------------
This river don't go to Aintry. You done taken a wrong turn.

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 3:30pm
It is kind of made up by 2 features.  The pit on surfer right and a wave on surfer left.  The pit is really steep and fast but is where you throw down... if you can.  We saw many a blunts and a couple helixes.

The surfer left wave is a really fun wave with a great pile that allows for lots of spins and back surfing without too much trouble.  Of course this depends on your skill level.

The wave was around 402 cms when I was there and some Kamloops guys were saying this is a perfect level.  The pit's pile was friendly for a big wave and they said the lower it gets the thrashier the pile is.  Last year I remember getting some beat downs and upside down surfing in there when it was around 380 I think.

It does have a big intimidation factor for those not used to playing on larger waves and holes.  Getting back to the eddy is pretty hard if you are on the surfer left wave.  If you flush off the left side you'll have to hike back up for sure.  There is a shoulder between the pit's pile and wave pile that you work up the pile and flush off and make the eddy.  Hiking back isn't bad, just annoying.  It's not near as bad as the Skook tour.

The gauge is at 335 cms right now!!!   Not sure how the wave is now much less this weekend.  Could be pretty thrashy.  BUT the Thompson run is fun big water Class III with some huge boils and whirlpools.  It's about a 4 hour long run.

Here is the gauge link: http://scitech.pyr.ec.gc.ca/waterweb/formNav.asp

Select BC, Thompson, and change parameter type to Discharge, eh.

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 4:31pm
I think since there will be dogs (your coming, Erik, right?) - we can do the area across from kumsheen or the skihist park...

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2007 at 6:32pm
Okay, I vote for the Skihist park for the first nite at least.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2007 at 3:14pm
I have had four different people who said they might go call/email me and bail since the beginning of the week. Right now, Ashley and Justin are passengers in my truck. I have room for one more, just give me a call if you are interested.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2007 at 11:23am
Magic sparkles is out, so I have two available seats in the truck. I'll be heading out of the city around 2p, so call me before then if interested...

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2007 at 12:33pm
People are really dropping of this trip fast... Who is still going?

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2007 at 12:35pm
Samson, Adrian, Leif, Justin, and probably one or two others. I might make it if I miraculously feel like it in the next hour. Bah.

-------------
Ashley Duffus

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2007 at 12:38pm
Hoover just called, he wanted to know where everyone was going... I told him Thompson and the Elaho, hope he meets up with someone, long drive if he doesn't.  Has Hoov called anyone else about meeting?

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2007 at 12:49pm
I am still going... You want to come now, Scott?

Hoov is welcome to call me, but my guess is he will go for Ashlu/Elaho action. Fear canyon is at 110cms last I looked, which is about double what I'd do it at.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2007 at 1:53pm
Ah screw it. Magic sparkles is IN.

-------------
Ashley Duffus

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2007 at 7:51pm
Hey all, that was a fun trip.  I am glad that the weather ended up being in our favor.  At least better than the weather service predicted.  I can't wait to see some pics from this.  Way to go Ashley!  Next time you make it up there you could totally run cutting board.  I think from now on I will almost always camp at Kumsheen.  I think everyone would agree with that.

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2007 at 10:26pm
Dude, Kumsheen was awesome. Who's posting the "Isms" thread???

I'll post pictures later, cause I don't gots no access to a drive for my card... AWESOME.

Fun to hang out with ya'll. SAMSON. =(

-------------
Ashley Duffus

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2007 at 7:49am
I think that isms are good in camp but just plain silly in a thread.  

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2007 at 9:53am
So lets get some feed back on the Frog wave. Was it in?

I Diverted to the Ashlu and Elaho instead.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2007 at 10:00am
It was in!

Had a great session on theFrog!  Ashley got some great shots to be posted soon. Threw my first Blunt, was really stoked.  Was a great weekend for surfing!

Scott  

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 12:30pm
Pictures are up on my blog! Let me know if any of you want full size originals, or I can make them into icons for the site, whatever. Hellla good weekend dude.

http://naiyadays.blogspot.com

-------------
Ashley Duffus

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 2:00pm
Put a few of those big ones on the site under the frog wave!!!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window