Whitewater Forum: Nahatlatch or Squamish this Weekend?
Print Page | Close Window

Nahatlatch or Squamish this Weekend?

Printed From: ProfessorPaddle.com
Category: General
Forum Name: Whitewater Forum
Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5549
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 4:59am

Topic: Nahatlatch or Squamish this Weekend?
Posted By: RemAcct2
Subject: Nahatlatch or Squamish this Weekend?
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2007 at 8:34pm
Curious if anyone wants to do the Nahatlatch this weekend?  Squamish is certainly a possibility, but weather on the Nahatlatch is 15-20 degrees warmer...  Anyone planing on heading up to either local?

Replies:
Posted By: Sisu
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2007 at 12:39pm

I'm definitely interested in the Nahatlach this weekend.  James' recent post indicates the water might be a bit low around Squamish...

John

Posted By: James
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2007 at 12:54pm
I am re-routing to the Nahatlatch myself. What a coo-inky-dink.

I will change up the details on the BC Breakdown page. Looks like a Nat/Stien weekend.

-------------

Posted By: arnobarno
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2007 at 3:02pm
I too could be interested in the Nahatlatch this weekend though almost certainly only interested in the Francis Lake to Apocynum section (above the canyon).  Don't know if I have the skills (or perhaps risk acceptance profile) to do the canyon yet.

A couple of questions:
- can anyone compare the Nahatlatch to something here?
- if the make-up of the group is such that people want to spend the majority of the time in the canyon or other more difficult runs, I'll gracefully bow-out.  So the question is more of where folks are expecting to spend time?

Anyone that has seen me paddle lately and has also paddled the Nahatlatch, I'd appreciate feedback on appropriateness for me (either on the forum or PM).

Thanks

-------------
arn9schaeffer@gmail.com (remove 9 for my real email address)

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2007 at 4:05pm
Arno,

I won't get to indepth on this one, but you will be fine on the Play Run. It would be comparable to the middle middle at around 1500 cfs to 2500 cfs but with smaller boulders.

I personally think you would be fine in the Canyon too. There is really only one class IV drop that is in there and the rest is really more on the lower side of IV. There are not really any huge holes in the canyon and the danger factor is not like sieves on the green or anything but a swim in a few different places would be a bummer.

Check it out Arno, the play run is awesome too and I would keep suggesting that you consider portions of the canyon before you decide against it. There is nothing even close to Boulder Drop in the canyon btw.

James

-------------

Posted By: slickhorn
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2007 at 4:36pm
good comaprison.  there's nothing as significant as house rocks on the play run, it's very straightforward.  You can road scout the first two (and toughest) drops, Rose Garden and meatgrinder and put in below them if they aren't to your liking.

--B

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2007 at 4:48pm
Okay.  That is very helpful.  Certainly, the Play Run sounds good for sure and the ability to road scout the first two drops certainly takes away most of my anxiety about that run.

On the canyon, when you say to consider "portions" of the canyon, are you saying that it is possible to exit the canyon or walk around some of the drops?  Can you scout the significant drops?

Final question - anyone know the level?

-------------

Posted By: slickhorn
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2007 at 4:50pm
the crus drop of the canyon, the nozzle, can be portaged on the left.  There's a pretty nice trail downriver from REO, I believe you can drive down and walk it to get an idea of the character of the canyon. 

I've only run it once really low, but it wasn't a big deal.  pretty straightforward, clean, and pool drop.  III-IV with one IV+ would be a "WA" rating I'd say. 

-------------

Posted By: Heather
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2007 at 7:06pm
Justin and I might be up for this trip, though just Fri evening through Sun evening (and I have to ask him!).  If so, we would definitely be up for the play run at least once.  But I also might like to try the canyon.  People who know, is it much harder than the Upper Cheakamus?

Posted By: jondufay
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2007 at 7:11pm
upper cheak is WAY harder...you would be totally fine heather.

-------------
ahh, f--- it dude, lets go boating...

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2007 at 7:14pm
Ok, thanks for the input!  I will definitely consider this trip, then.

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2007 at 7:17pm
There is nothing even remotely as difficult as triple drop in the canyon section and the most difficult rapid on the run is closer to the difficulty of that last ledge section on the cheakamus with the wood on the left side. That is like the style and feel of the river, Bigger feeling because of the canyon but more tongue and wave train style than the ledge and hole style of the cheak.

-------------

Posted By: justin
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2007 at 12:04am
I personally would love to go on this trip.  I'd even like to try the Canyon also.  Maybe walk the nozzle.  

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2007 at 8:01am
Dude justin you will love the canyon it is really awesome down there. And the best part is that unlike whistler you can pretty much bank on very warm weather, so its all about the shorties.

James

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2007 at 8:30am
Heather and I went up to the Nahatlach a few weeks ago, and the water was high then, It will be nice to see it at a different level.

Posted By: franzhorner
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2007 at 12:14pm
Whats the level on the Nahatlach looking like for the weekend?  I'm planning on going and taking my catboat.  Does anyone need a ride and want to carpool with a couple of  catarafters?  We are pretty rowdy but safe....
Franz

-------------
MORE RAIN PLEASE

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2007 at 12:36pm
I will be there ready to rock n roll Franz

Ya missed the meteor showers though! The last few weeks up there were awesome.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2007 at 12:49pm
Damn, I hope there are so more up there this weekend.  My buddy I was supposed to be riding with might back out now but hopefully I'll find a way up there!!

-------------
MORE RAIN PLEASE

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2007 at 1:28pm
Doh - I am probably out for the weekend.  Too much to do before we head down to Oregon next Tuesday.  The Nat will need to wait till next year.  Looks like lots of fun though.

For those interested, the weather forecast is surprising for this weekend - both for Seattle and for Lytton.  Here is a link to the equivalent of the national weather forecast for Canada.  Looks like showers and temps around 70 (down from 95 today) for Lytton.

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/bc-33_metric_e.html

-------------

Posted By: saw425
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2007 at 5:49pm
Hey ya'll this is Susan from Nc. (Ive met a few of you already) It is my last weekend up here and I fly out Sun at 10:30pm. I have friday off and would love to get out boating again before I leave (the Nahatlatch sounds good, but I would like to get out on anything really) I am in seattle and can get a ride to meet up and carpool if any of ya'll will have me. Call me or post whatever is easier, my number is (804) 822-0570.

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2007 at 8:36am
Susan,

You should definitly check out the Nat! Several cars are leaving tomorrow afternoon. Here are the folks you should PM.

franzhorner : leaving from Seattle possibly with fish (thats a dude btw not a dinner)

justin and Heather: leaving from Bellingham with 1 dog

Pretty sure that
leifkirchoff  is going and Jon Mastin might be going with him.

Others are planned but thats a start. Who ever you go with you should make sure your going to be back in the area by like 8 so you don't miss your flight!

James

-------------

Posted By: saw425
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2007 at 9:39am
Thanks James! maybe I will see you this weekend but if not Thanks for your website and to everyone who has given me a ride and paddled with me, your website has been most helpful. If any of ya'll come to the south east and need any beta or anything feel free to give me a call or drop me a line.
Susan
(804)822-0570
sw79201@appstate.edu

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2007 at 9:55am
I am heading up sometime on Friday (as early as possible).  Will there be folks boating on the Nahatlatch on Sat? (I hope)...James?

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2007 at 10:52am
I will be up there baby Yea... Details will be posted in a few minutes to the BC Breakdown thread.

Thanks Susan glad you got out there a few times and I will certainly be calling if I am in the area.

J

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2007 at 9:50pm
Hey everybody, thanks for another great weekend up in B.C.  The canyon is seriously one of the coolest runs I've ever done.  And the Black Bear that we saw was the Icing on the cake.

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2007 at 11:39am
I have a blue "tripod" seat someone left at the camp site.  Somebody please claim it, as it is remarkably uncomfortable.

-------------

Posted By: Adrian
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2007 at 11:47am
yeah, awesome trip -
I'll post the bootie driking trio video tonight

-------------
Adrian (20six) 34nine 6two51

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2007 at 12:13pm
Its mine Lief!  I love that little seat as its so small and it doesn't have arm rests so I can play my guitar when I'm sitting on it.....
Maybe if you are in the city sometime soon I could meet up with you and get it back....

-------------
MORE RAIN PLEASE

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2007 at 12:19pm
I'll be in the city on Friday.  Give me a call on Thursday to coordinate - 206-618-6253.

- Leif

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2007 at 2:44pm
Ok...I work in south lake union...i'll give a call

-------------
MORE RAIN PLEASE

Posted By: skim
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2007 at 2:46pm
the trip was freakin fantabulous!  continuous rapids, good play, good flow, and fairly decent weather.   what more can u ask?  too bad it's not in WA 

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2007 at 2:52pm
I dunno Samson... part of the fun is making that trip into the international zone, it adds a flavor that you loose staying stateside.... Imagine a true international experience ... like blums ... man that would be amazing!

J

-------------

Posted By: Jeff
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2007 at 3:52pm

Hells yeah on the trip this weekend!  I had a blast, even though I managed to break not only a paddle, but my boat as well!  I consider myself lucky though, since it could have just as easily been me that broke a tooth.  Props to Susan for runnin the rest of the way down after the Headwall carnage(That chick is hardcore!). Thanks to everyone who made this trip up the Canadia a great one, EH!  Can't wait to get re-geared and back on the water!

-------------
"What could possibly go wrong?"
www.flickr.com/photos/jeffdwyer/

Posted By: skim
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2007 at 5:01pm
don't get me wrong j, i really appreciated the international flavor.  i could just imagine what life would be like if it was as close as the Middle-Middle.  i would hit that every day mon!   great trip nevertheless.

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2007 at 7:15pm
Thanks everyone or the great trip!  Sorry about your bad gear luck Jeff, but it was fun anyway I think.  Way to hand paddle the run - even hitting boofs! Seeing that bear was definitely a treat.  I'll definitely be returning to the Nahatlatch.
Heather

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2007 at 8:48am
Bootie drinking video of the weekend  at <a  href=http://www.professorpaddle.com/media/videoview.asp?File_Id=1952>Bootie Driniking</a>

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2007 at 8:48am
How do you put links into posts?

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2007 at 9:02am
uBB code not html.
[ url=http://www.professorpaddle.com/media/videoview.asp?File_Id=1952]Bootie Driniking[/url]

Click the button to create a link after you have highlighted that which you want to create a link. So you would highlight bootie drinking then type the url in the pop up.

Just FYI if you click the Orange Post Reply Button on the bottom of the page you get a full featured Text Editor that will do other stuff for you.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2007 at 10:48am
Thanks james,

Here is the link to the video to save copying.

Bootie Drinking

-------------

Print Page | Close Window