Forum Name: Whitewater Forum
Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5500
Printed Date: 18 Mar 2024 at 9:21pm

Topic: Homepage Rivers
Posted By: James
Subject: Homepage Rivers
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2007 at 10:04am
By popular demad, here is a thread to discuss and request different rivers to be listed or removed from the homepage as the season changes.

Right now here are the general guidelines I follow.
  • Try to keep the Homepage Rivers List under 10 Rivers
  • Try to keep the Homepage Rivers List populated with only currently running rivers, or rivers coming up in the next few weeks
  • Try to keep the Homepage Rivers List Diverse, Not just class V or III, a spread
So if you have a suggestion of a river you would like to see on the homepage rivers list Post it here. If you see a river that should be taken off the list cause its done flowing etc.. post it here.

Replies:
Posted By: slickhorn
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2007 at 10:38am
where's that ashlu virtual gauge?  ;-)  seriously, the elaho would be nice to see on there. 

white salmon? 

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2007 at 11:20am
I have the Elaho gauge up and running but the Ashlu is out of my skillz Is there even a reported level on the Web for that?

Elaho Added - Fear Canyon - We need level recommendations?
White Salmon Added

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2007 at 11:29am
no idea of in/out range of flows ... the elaho is the gauge for the Ashlu, so that's dope.  thanks James!

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2007 at 11:35am
So what are the levels that the Ashlu is good at on the elaho gauge ? I can make the virtual gauge really easily if it is a known calculation.

Also if anyone has recommended levels or beta on the Fear Canyon make sure you post them to that river page.

James

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2007 at 12:12pm
Been trying to find that, but  not much luck.  Figured someone here would have that dialed in.

-------------

Posted By: Yotes
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2007 at 12:22pm
is there a google earth tool for finding the area within a polygon? could do a correlation based on watershed size.

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2007 at 12:36pm
Yotes to find the area within a polygon you just need to know the Cartesian Coordinates and be able to construct triangles out of the polygon for the measurement of area.

If it is a simple polygon you could use Pick's Theorem (A = i + ½b − 1) but that would most likely not work for this application.

To be honest I see where you are going but it is quite a bit more complex than that. Every drainage would be different due to elevation, moisture etc... and since drainages rarely move there is little need for a dynamic method of drainage calculation. It seems more reasonable to reasearch each drainage and come up with calculations for the relevant streamflows in that basin. But don't let me rain on your work... Get crackin and then shoot me your work... I'd love to check it out... just sounds like a lot of work.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2007 at 12:54pm
Definately. Now if I had a good topo and a planimeter I could get the ratio done quick and easy. I'll see what I can pull off in my free time this weekend (yeah, like that actually exists).

Posted By: SupaSta
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2007 at 1:17pm
There seems to be a lot interest in Tumwater as it's going into it's death throes.

I'd like to see it up there for the next couple of weeks as it goes out......

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2007 at 1:59pm
Tumwater added.

-------------

Posted By: huckin harms
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2007 at 5:18pm
thanks James

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2007 at 7:46pm
no prob mike, thank you for kicking this off .... looks like you was a wittle wate.

-------------

Posted By: SupaSta
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2007 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by James

Tumwater added.

Thanks! 

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2007 at 11:26am
You should change the minimum guage level on the Sky. It is for sure runnable bellow 1000. =). I actually kinda like it better at some of these levels...some more little creeky lines open up in BD.

Posted By: huckin harms
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2007 at 10:12am

Whats with the NOOK gauge??

Shouldn't it be green, not blue?  I think it's reflecting the "gorge" section above the bend run, yes? 

Posted By: justin
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2007 at 10:35am
That's what it looks like to me Harms, the run they are showing now is the section above nooksack falls.

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2007 at 11:14am
I believe it to be called the Misto Gorge Section.

KTW... Please help me out. Make all the beta suggestions and changes you desire on any river page. Just click edit at the top of any rivers page ... make the changes and submit. There is a field for the low gauge value and high gauge value. Thats what controls the colors and run key. Have at it.

J

PS. If you change gauges or other things that are incorrect it will not hurt anything. All of the submissions are error checked before going live, if there is something odd about a submission that doesn't jive with local beta before it is approved there will be a discussion on it to confirm the correct update.

-------------

Posted By: Tobin
Date Posted: 07 Aug 2007 at 9:03am
NF Payette gauge?  It has disappeared, where did it go?

-------------
Sure?

Date Posted: 07 Aug 2007 at 9:10am
NF Payette has no gauge on it, so why list it on the homepage?

It's in the river's list still, go look under ID.

J

-------------

Posted By: LuckyLiam
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2007 at 10:32am

I'd like to see the Upper Upper Cispus as it comes in. 

Is this guage working reliably?

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2007 at 11:05am
huh?
  I gotta stop hitting my head, so does anyone have any info on how to find out the flows,,
  I am considering a Labor day trip to Banks. I want it good and low on the lower five!

-------------
Sure?

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2007 at 4:01pm
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/id/nwis/current/?type=flow&group_key=NONE&search_site_no_station_nm=13239000
  Is this not a gauge?? 

-------------
Sure?

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2007 at 4:32pm
How's about putting the Umatilla gauge up for the two or three desert boaters who spend their days on the site kayaking vicariously through you lucky west siders.

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2007 at 5:23pm
Umatilla where the heck is that... Texas?

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2007 at 7:02pm
It's in northeast Oregon, right across the border.  Basically it's the Tri-Cities equivalent to the powerhouse, only more difficult and less water.

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2007 at 7:24pm
Yer killing me Yotes.... class II many rivers on the homepage. How about if I make a trade.... Spokane for Umatilla

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2007 at 7:32pm
You'll have to talk to the spokompton boaters on here.  I'd keep the spokane over the Umi, though.  And I'm not talking about the class 2 section in Pendleton, I'm talking about the 3 mile dam section.  I'm just trying to be lazy and and get a one click check.  She's up to ELFing flows now.

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2007 at 8:58pm
ok ok 

-------------

Posted By: Hunter
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2007 at 1:30pm
Olympics, dude? We need a Queets guage! pretty please

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2007 at 2:30pm
Dingle Dingle

-------------

Posted By: dave
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2007 at 2:54pm
Now thats what I'm talking about! The more rivers on the home page the merryer. Can you make it rain too James?

-------------
Nomad

Posted By: franzhorner
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2007 at 3:44pm
How about just clicking on the "rivers" tab at the top of the page and looking at all of them at once?  You know what you want to see, make one click and find it, maybe you'll find something running that you hadn't considered.....
Love
Horner

-------------
MORE RAIN PLEASE

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2007 at 8:38am
good point franz, that way james could have more time boating and less time tweakin' the site.

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2007 at 11:53am
James, o great one, can you please put the Sultan back up next to the Sky(since they both run together all winter), thanks man!

And to answer the others guys statements, it' nice to have rivers on the home page, especially when you surfing with a mobile device, like a ppc. I use a ppc allot, even while I'm driving, and it is a quick reference to the rivers that are flowing without having to load multiple pages wich takes allot of time. I'm on my ppc right now as a matter of fact.

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2007 at 9:46am
I have an idea® How about having some of heavily used rivers pop up automatically when they are in the recommended range?

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2007 at 8:07am
THought about it and decided not to... WHy? Because then monkeys would be refreshing their favorite rivers to bump them to the top and we would loose the ones we really want to see.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2007 at 8:15pm
Phhhhtttt.............

-------------
Nomad

Posted By: water wacko
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2007 at 7:42am
Pilchuck Creek - https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/wrx/wrx/flows/station.asp?sta=05D070

Mosh Pit has a guage, too. 5k a minimum? - https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/wrx/wrx/flows/station.asp?wria=20

-------------
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman

Posted By: water wacko
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2007 at 7:43am
pilchuck creek - 600 is low. 3000 is high for the middle section with the waterfall. The upper needs more water to go - 1300 minimum.

-------------
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2007 at 9:08am

Canyon Creek, Lewis  or EF Lewis,  same gauge

Please

-------------
Sure?

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2007 at 9:45am
Got the CC Lewis up, and I am going to work on the gauge for Pilchuck and the Mosh Pit but they are in a funky format 4 sure. Well see how that goes when I get off workski.

J

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2007 at 10:03am
Thanks James,

-------------
Sure?

Posted By: Christian
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2008 at 11:28am
How about the Chilliwack River? :)

http://scitech.pyr.ec.gc.ca/waterweb/formnav.asp?lang=0

http://www.paddleguides.com/rivers/bc/chilliwack/chilliwack_river.html

and of course:

http://www.vankayak.org

check our our festival, May 3rd and 4th, on the Chilliwack river, BC

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2008 at 5:43pm
Christian,

The gauges on that scitech.pyr.ec.gc.ca site are guarded by a webform that greatly complicates the code I have running in my windows service.

If you have an idea or example of anyone using this data I would love to see it. To my understanding there is not even another site that streams the elaho and cheak other than bchydro so I doubt there is anyone doing the hard ones you listed above.... Please Please tell me if there is.

-------------

Posted By: Christian
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2008 at 7:50am
Sorry James, I know nothing of the technically issues - but now that you explain, I do notice that I've not seen any other sites with it as you say... probably some gov't thing... shame really.

Posted By: hardboof
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2008 at 11:02am
North Fork of the Snoqualmie.

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2008 at 11:20am
Ernies added.

Also FYI Christian, I have been bouncing emails off a few folks that work for water survey of canada in the pacific and yukon region. I am working on developing a relationship as a public service member so we can access all of the different gauge values they have in BC and use the data here, there is a ton of rivers and drainages covered.

I will keep you updated on this because it would be so sweet to have the streaming values of stuff like Cayoosh, Birkenhead, Soo, Thompson, Ashlu (new gauge), Chillwack, Even big silver!!!! Make trip planning a whole lot more accurate.

J

-------------

Posted By: msavory
Date Posted: 02 May 2008 at 11:01pm
Hi James

Any update on this Canadian flow stuff??

Mike

-------------
Paddle New Zealand
Http://www.rivers.org.nz/

Date Posted: 03 May 2008 at 12:12am
Uh the Ministry of Environment was less than helpful and basically told me that because they don't warrant the value of the data, they also don't make it readily available.

I explained just how easy it would be, to make it available through web services and the such and they were pretty against it. The best offer I had was to receive an email once each morning to an address, which would have a pdf file attached containing the flow data.

Another virtually useless method for data parsing...

I gave up trying to think of methods and realized they are working to find methods that prevent what I am doing on purpose!

-------------

Posted By: jP
Date Posted: 06 May 2008 at 6:49pm
Yup. That's the prevailing mentality we are dealing with here.

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 06 May 2008 at 9:24pm
Lets Bring this back around on topic.

Anyone have a new preference for what goes on the homepage list it here, even on page, 2 or later. I watch this thread and make updates as suggestions are made.

Thanks

-------------

Posted By: RyanBC
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2008 at 10:33am

Not a great one for the home page rivers but I live close to Norrish Creek, in BC and see lots of guys on it from Washington. It has no guage but I often drive out and check the level for the Vancouver boys. Is there a place somone could make a sticky post and I could just post the level when I go out. Its been running at a low but doable level for a couple weeks now, it seems to run more than  any other creek in the area by a big margin.

http://www.fraservalleywhitewater.com/norrish-creek/ - http://www.fraservalleywhitewater.com/norrish-creek/

Later,

Ryan

-------------
Westerncanoekayak.com

Posted By: jondufay
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2008 at 8:16pm
Ryan,
 That would be sweet.  Visuals on the norrish would be much appreciated...a very under appreciated little crick.

Jon

Jay- I still have your lock...eh.

-------------
ahh, f--- it dude, lets go boating...

Posted By: jondufay
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2008 at 8:17pm
very under appreciated...James, where is my edit button?

-------------
ahh, f--- it dude, lets go boating...

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2008 at 1:22pm
Hey RyanBC, nice little blog you got goin' there.  Keep it up.

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2008 at 1:33pm
Duffer, everyone has the edit button. Its at the top of each Rivers Page!!!

Go get some beta foo!

Posted By: knu2xs
Date Posted: 03 May 2016 at 10:07pm
@Yotes, I have been working with AW to use the access coordinates for right around 5,600 river reaches around the country to trace the river center line from the USGS National Hydrology Dataset. Currently a little over 4,600 have successfully traced. For these 4,600, I used surface elevation data of varying resolution to delineate the watershed area upstream of each the putin for each of these reaches.

While it is yet to be determined how this mass dataset will be made available, if you have a one off request, please feel free to let me know. Exporting a KML of the watershed, I am more than happy to do.

Print Page | Close Window