Trip Discussion's: Tumwater Goodness! Discussion Thread
Print Page | Close Window

Tumwater Goodness! Discussion Thread

Printed From: ProfessorPaddle.com
Category: General
Forum Name: Trip Discussion's
Forum Discription: This forum is for discussing Trips which have been posted through the Trips Tool.
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5474
Printed Date: 24 Apr 2024 at 1:18am

Topic: Tumwater Goodness! Discussion Thread
Posted By: tradguy2
Subject: Tumwater Goodness! Discussion Thread
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2007 at 7:35pm

This is the Tumwater Goodness! discussion thread. Please post any questions below.

Remember the actual Trip Details are located on the Tumwater Goodness! | Trip Page

Now that Tumwater is getting into the lower end of the range it is time to enjoy the goodness.  I'm planning on taking the time to scout the three big rapids and don't mind showing first timers the lines.   

Replies:
Posted By: Yotes
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2007 at 9:42pm
I'll likely be in on this one!

Posted By: ashleygoesdisco
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2007 at 12:17am
Arrghh. Maybe. What do you think.... Tom? If I get a rocker and bring it?

-------------
Ashley Duffus
Well behaved women rarely make history.
www.naiyadays.blogspot.com

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2007 at 9:07am

I hate to make a call for other people Ahley.  My guess is that you would want to portage the Wall and POW and be 50/50 on Chaos.  Personally I think you should (at a minimum) be comfortable in BD at 3000 before trying it.  Depending on the group we might put in at the bridge and run upper Tum for warm up.  If so you could run that and play safety/photographer for the rest of the run.  Probably not what you were hoping to hear. 

-------------
... preparing for a river beating!     

Posted By: ashleygoesdisco
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2007 at 11:07am
Actually. It's exactly what I needed to hear. I know you've paddled much harder stuff than I have, and that makes your opinion valid, imho. So... Thank you! I'll see what I have going on next weekend. I've played photographer on that section before. 

-------------
Ashley Duffus
Well behaved women rarely make history.
www.naiyadays.blogspot.com

Posted By: SupaSta
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2007 at 12:10pm
Kodak courage. That's just what this group needs :-)

Dan

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2007 at 10:30am
Levels are looking good!

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2007 at 10:42am
I'm gettin stoked! Time to give that creeker a last minute fit test.

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2007 at 10:54am

I just hope someone else decides to come.  I'll run lots of rivers with just 2 people, Tumwater is not one of them. 

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2007 at 11:31am
If I can make it there'll be at least one other boater from the tri cities. (basically If I can't split gas costs I can't afford to go)

Posted By: septimus prime
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2007 at 12:35pm

Hey Tom,

If the level drops closer to 1000, I'll be in on this.

-------------
Jon Shell Bee

Posted By: PowWrangler
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2007 at 12:52pm
I'll be out there Saturday again.  If I end up staying the night and it works out, I'd be happy to do a slower run and scout the big ones.

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2007 at 1:20pm

Septimus, if it drops to 1250 or so you should be good to go, 

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2007 at 10:39am
A few of you have PM'ed me to ask about the run.  There is some video of the run here coutesy of Slickhorn (Brian Vogt):
The flows should be about the same but thankfully, there will be no snow on the banks.  Brrrrr.

-------------

Posted By: water wacko
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2007 at 11:06am
The guide book says Tumwater is a playboat run. I have a strong feeling there will be a lot of people out there this weekend. With cooler temps I'm guessing it'll drop to around 1100. It's 1340 now and there isn't much difference until you get above 1500. -1000, 1500, 2000, and 3000+ are good benchmarks. If you're nervous and have problems in BD below 3000 I think walking the Wall and POW are good options. Chaos is much more straight forward with less consequence. The Wall is a long one.

-------------
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman

Posted By: huckin harms
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2007 at 11:16am
What guide book are you reading?

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2007 at 11:20am
I've been meaning to bring my playboat in there one of these days, but after seeing James cave in his bow last weekend after pitoning in The Wall, I might hold of till I get some better foot foam. 

Posted By: James
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2007 at 11:29am
Happy Hairboating with Huckin Harms?

-------------

Posted By: arnobarno
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2007 at 11:37am
Looks like fun!

errrr.... for next summer

-------------
arn9schaeffer@gmail.com (remove 9 for my real email address)

Posted By: Sisu
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2007 at 11:46am
I would like to tag along Sunday if the level doesn't increase.  I ran this a couple years ago at right around 1,000 (and walked Last Exit without thinking twice).  Creekboat for me...

John

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2007 at 12:31pm

I agree on both counts.  I'm taking a creeker and walking Exit.  Hope to see you there, levels should drop.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2007 at 2:11pm
So who all is going out tomorrow for Tumwater?

James

-------------

Posted By: water wacko
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2007 at 3:02pm
I'm kidding about the guide book reference.

-------------
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2007 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by James

Happy Hairboating with Huckin Harms?

Sounds like a good addition to the collection, where can I pick up a copy?

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2007 at 3:35pm
It's on the shelf right next to Montana Marks Night Life Guide to Leavenworth. Depends on the book store... I think that Marks Guide to Leavenworth might be in the adult section now, I hear he is giving sneak peaks on friday and sat. night ! It costs like a few bucks though and there's not much to see from what the local ladies say!

J

-------------

Posted By: Ryan
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2007 at 3:55pm
I'm down for tomorrow but can't Sunday.  I think I'll try the playboat this trip. 

Lower flows and hopefully I won't get spun like a top this time (damn huka)

Date Posted: 04 Aug 2007 at 9:00am
Heading there today for some laps so we'll see you tomorrow at 11.   I have a buddy coming out tomorrow so he'll want to scout also.

Posted By: munkyboat
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2007 at 5:42pm
I'll be around all day after 11 or so, anyone wanna meet at the take out for shuttle? call me
303-995-4791
jordan

Posted By: huckin harms
Date Posted: 05 Aug 2007 at 9:56pm
YO YO
Tumwater shared its goodness.  Big high five to all who made it out over the weekend. 

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2007 at 8:56pm
OK PowWrangler, lets see that helmet cam footage. 

By the way, I've heard of people running Tumwater all the way down to 500.  Anyone know if it is decent at those flows.  I'm sure it's pretty bony in places, but I would think the big three still channel up fairly well. 

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Aug 2007 at 9:23am
Well, it was a fun couple weeks on Tumwater this year. 

I have some decent footage from the last two weekends.   Tried uploading some helmet cam footage last night, but I think the file size was too large.  James, what's the size limit?

Date Posted: 07 Aug 2007 at 9:29am
Somewheres right around 40 - 50 mb but depending on your file type you might want to make it smaller. If you have it in a .MOV file format but you don't have the PRO version of quicktime the file will not buffer on download so the max size is recommended to be around 20mb for quick viewing. If your using pro then you can make it as big as you want since the file will buffer and download as you watch it. (Steaming)

James

-------------

Print Page | Close Window