Forum Name: Whitewater Forum
Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5194
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 11:50am

Topic: Wood in FITW...
Posted By: Erik
Subject: Wood in FITW...
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 7:47am
Was up there doing laps last night (great level btw).  There's new wood lurking in the Fearsome Foursome.  It's the first rocky slide of The FF.

There are three doors on that drop (right, center, left).  There has been a branch sticking down into the right door, and there still is.  Last night, there was an ugly log blocking the left & center channels completely, forcing one to run the right, which is fine.

We tried to move the log, but it was too big for two pussies like us.  It will move with high water, so if it's not where I'm describing, it might be lurking downstream.  The log is good size, and has numerous branches sticking off it.

Later.

~Erik

Replies:
Posted By: cronar
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 8:04am
Thanks Erik.  Sounds like number 2 is run right now.  Will see if it is movable.  Who know maybe you loosened it up.
-N

Posted By: James
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 8:29am
Sounds like he is describing #1, The slide just after the entry ledge.... Bummer I always liked the left more. Thanks for the Heads up ... That could be a bad spot to run down and find a log at the bottom.

James

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 8:38am
Actually James that is number 2.  New boaters to this run have confused this as being number 1 but it's number 2 which is 1 more than number 1.  Number 3 being the drop with the diagonol.    Go up at higher water and you'll see that what most people call number 4 still has the pool between it and the real number 4 and that the Foursome is pretty much continuous.  Regardless there is wood and it will be dealt with. 

Posted By: tradguy2
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 8:53am
Cronar, I'll have my pin kit.  We can take care of it tonight, 

-------------
... preparing for a river beating!     

Posted By: slickhorn
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 9:12am
Finally I understand!  #3 is the one with the diagonal.  That makes waaaay more sense to me, as I always thought there was too much room for the ledge above island to be #4. 

thanks for the clarification Nick -- we should update AW so that there's isn't confusion for precisily such things as this -- knowing where the hazard might be.

Posted By: JoesKayak
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 10:22am
I think we should call it the fearsome fivesome.

Or some other adjective starting with 'f'.

Originally posted by cronar

Actually James that is number 2.  New boaters to this run have confused this as being number 1 but it's number 2 which is 1 more than number 1.  Number 3 being the drop with the diagonol.    Go up at higher water and you'll see that what most people call number 4 still has the pool between it and the real number 4 and that the Foursome is pretty much continuous.  Regardless there is wood and it will be dealt with. 

Posted By: huckin harms
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 1:40pm

then it was probably me who confused James... cause I was calling the #2 #1 and the counting the entry ledge as just that... an entry ledge, making the final drop of the foursome the last tiered falls.  but whatever

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 1:41pm
thanks for the wood beta

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 2:44pm
Yea you sucker ... I got into a debate with you and I was taking Nicks side.... But alas Harm's Power of Persuasion had me nodding my head and agreeing.... Oh wait maybe that was so I could squeak ahead and snag another BULLET LAP!!!

ahahah

Now we have clarification... I thought that sounded right... back to the old way. Thanks nick you da man. I never really wanted to take that view but mike with his seniority over me kinda pulled the veto! eheheh

I will change em back on here too!

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 2:49pm
This should make it easy.

The top ledge in this photo is number 2 with the wood on the right. There would now be wood on the left too.

And this would be the #5 ledge which is not part of the Fearsome foursome but just below

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 2:52pm
No problem, I was confused too when I first started running FITW.  But then I was corrected by an even older boater who did some of the early exploring on the run. 

Passing the knowledge on.

In a couple years folks are going to be wondering why we call it "Limbo" with nothing to limbo under.  Not that I'm requesting a new piece of wood there or anywhere for that matter.
-N

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 3:24pm
temtpting to start calling it GO LEFT or something.  A buddy pinned his IK in there at med-low flows last year and that ledgy positively tore his boat apart.  crazy! 

one of my favs tho!

--B

Posted By: tradguy2
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2007 at 8:14am
I cleared the wood last night with the help of Jordan and Leif.  We wedged it up on the left bank, is should stay there unless the flow comes up quite a bit.  

-------------
... preparing for a river beating!     

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2007 at 8:17am
thanks guys!

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2007 at 9:16am
Yea right on!!! Thanks Tom, Leif and Jordan

J

-------------

Posted By: Ryan
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2007 at 11:15am
Nice work boys!

Anyone want to head out there today after work?

Posted By: sultankevin
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2007 at 7:57pm
I will be there fri. around 5.
Kevin

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2007 at 6:43am
hey hey,
how were the levels last nite?

Posted By: water wacko
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2007 at 7:45am
For the first ledge instead of Limbo, how about go left or DIE!!!

-------------
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman

Posted By: water wacko
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2007 at 7:46am
Hey Mike, levels last night are LOW!!!! The lowest I have ever been there. Lower than when there were all those people up there a couple weeks ago, when I saw you.

-------------
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2007 at 7:53am
though so... mmm... wonder if they will bump back up today some...

Print Page | Close Window