Run Submissions & Gauge Discussions: Run Submissions and Beta
Print Page | Close Window

Run Submissions and Beta

Printed From: ProfessorPaddle.com
Category: Site Support
Forum Name: Run Submissions & Gauge Discussions
Forum Discription: Submit a Run Description or Run Beta. Discuss Gauges or post messages for the Rio Banditos
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4631
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 5:11am

Topic: Run Submissions and Beta
Posted By: James
Subject: Run Submissions and Beta
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2007 at 3:31pm
I am preparing to work on our river tool and something came to mind. We all have the ability to upload photo's, video's etc... but only me and a few other people can actually update the details on a rivers page. I started thinking about it , and this is something that I think we should open up more.
Here is my suggestion, I would like to hear what you think.

River Details under the new system will be editable by the following standards.

River Details (Putin, Takeout, Description etc..)
These fields will be open for instant change to any user over 50 Posts.
These fields will be open for Moderated Review to any user under 50 Posts. (Changes require review and moderator approval prior to release)

River Gauges and Difficulty Rating (Class V etc)
Any user may suggest a new gauge, class or change in flow calculation
Moderators will review and approve requests.

New Runs and Rivers
Any user with over 100 Posts may create a new run complete with gauges and class ratings where applicable.

Users with under 100 posts my request new runs however this requires Moderator approval.

The idea here is to make it so more people can update and maintain the beta on the rivers.

Replies:
Posted By: arnobarno
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2007 at 3:47pm
James,
I like the idea of people being able to augment the information on the river pages with additional beta.

I would be concerned about allowing people to replace data versus simply augment information that is there.  I'm not worried so much about a malicious user as I would hope that users with more than 50 posts are generally trustworthy.  I'm more worried about someone accidentally removing information, or a software incompatibility error, etc. that causes important information to be lost.

As such, I would modify your suggestion slightly and allow people to add to descriptions, beta, etc. but rely on someone else (assign owners for certain rivers, perhaps) to integrate all of the information and eventually produce a new river description at some later time.  Until the integration, people would just see additional beta at the end of the description (for example).

An alternative suggestion is to look at what a site like Wikipedia does to manage multiple authors yet wanting to make sure the information is accurate.  Now then, we don't have the political nonsense that Wikipedia needs to police but the overall technology solution there may be interesting.
arn

-------------
arn9schaeffer@gmail.com (remove 9 for my real email address)

Posted By: water wacko
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2007 at 4:38pm
He said 'river TOOL'... he he

Good idea James. I would also add that we should have some kind of a BS button that anyone can push so the group can, in a way, self monitor. Kind of like how craig's list does it. Of course only a Mod could change the info, but it frees up time to a certain degree for the mods.

-------------
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2007 at 4:36pm
Here is how its set up right now... I just finished up a new update.

Based on the guidelines above every user with over 50 posts will be able to edit and update the beta on river details pages. A log of all changes will be kept and we will be able to roll back to any previous update. If the user has less than 50 posts the submission will require a moderator to approve it.

This update should be live in the next few days. It is done right now, but I am testing it.

~J

-------------

Posted By: SupaSta
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2007 at 1:00pm
Great ideas all! 

Hypothetically speaking, how many post does one need to change the name of a rapid that's been naturally 'redone'?  Like say maybe, one on the Upper Tumwater...........

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2007 at 1:38pm
ok now Dan ... you are going to have to work with me because I am trying to get my sarcastic behavior in check, this type of post doesn't help... it hurts..

See look even when I am being semi serious ... I'm not... you guys are right this is a big problem. Is there medication for this, or some program I can signup on to get an excuse for being a boob?

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2008 at 12:56pm
Nice set up updates by Jon Dufay on the Nooksack tribs. 

-------------

Date Posted: 19 May 2008 at 10:01am
Bummer someone hacked our riverbase and messed it all up over this last weekend. I will work on it tonight.

The flows are fine but the db is hosed :(

Just FYI thats why the homepage and links are all messed up

-------------

Print Page | Close Window