Forum Name: Whitewater Forum
Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17005
Printed Date: 18 Apr 2024 at 6:35pm

Topic: Race History
Posted By: megspk
Subject: Race History
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 8:00pm
I'm just curious about the history of kayak races here in the Seattle/Wenatchee area and how come they have disappeared over the years. Since I've moved here the only consistent races have been on Robe, the Northwest Creeking competition, the Wind Race, and the local slalom races on the Cedar and Salmon La Sac.

I have heard faint stories and seen mention of the Wenatchee River Festival and Skyfest, but those are no longer around....why not?

Thanks for filling me in!

-------------
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

Replies:
Posted By: Jed Hawkes
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 9:42am
Meg, I'd guess that participation in whitewater plays the biggest part. The 90's and eraly 2000's were the heyday of whitewater when there was a big buzz around paddling and a lot more companies pouring money our of their marketing budgets to sponsor events. Now there are only a handful of manufacturers and they are all just trying to squeak out a sliver of the market share.

If whitewater had the same numbers as golf, mountain biking, or skiing, it would be a different story.

-------------
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723

Posted By: megspk
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 6:42pm
Thanks Jed, that would seem to make some sense. It's a bummer numbers are declining....

-------------
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

Print Page | Close Window