Forum Name: Whitewater Forum
Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16991
Printed Date: 23 May 2019 at 11:13pm

Topic: Wenatchee Valley Community Event Series
Posted By: pottert
Subject: Wenatchee Valley Community Event Series
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 8:19am
Good morning, friends of the Wenatchee Valley! It has been a long and arduous winter. We have faced frozen eddies, undesirable flows on Tumwater, and some of us have even felt the need to use pogies. Alas, we have endured what is necessary to have a fruitful spring and summer. Our snowpack is beginning its annual melt and we are conveniently positioned in the funnel of its runoff, armed with plastic boats and a ton of stoke.

Today marks the beginning of the third consecutive year of weekly paddling events in the valley. It has been a long road of progression since the World Kayak Organization added Leavenworth as one of their national paddling regions. Previous World Kayak ambassadors Marco Colella and Jean-Luc Robichaux, thank you for all you did to build such a solid foundation for what is now one of the strongest paddling communities in the northwest, if not the country. I was handed the torch in 2015, and it has been a privilege to see our community consistently gather, grow, and support one another through the progression of whitewater boat riding.

Throughout the next eight weeks, there is going to be a new and exciting kayaking event every Wednesday evening. These events will consist of races, clinics, freestyle competitions, group paddles, and safety practice. I will announce the location and format of the event each Wednesday morning, the day of the event. This keeps the playing field level and disallows for paddlers to practice a course in the days leading up to an event. Considering the last minute nature of these events, this is the time of year to keep your boats on your car so you are ready to strike as soon as you get off work, or whatever else it is you do all day.

In previous years, the World Kayak Organization has done a ton of leg work to provide us with a sizable quantity of shwag from various paddling related companies. Due to some administrative changes, they were no longer able to hook us up. So for those who came to these events strictly to get a clean t-shirt and avoid doing laundry for another week, I apologize. However, I have gotten a commitment from Icicle Brewing Company that ensures we will have some cold ones for after each event. Kurt, I will keep the Fanta flowing for ya bud!

If you have read this far into this post, you obviously would like to know what the damn event is going to be tonight, so here you go:

THIRD AMIGO HEAD TO HEAD RACE!!!

This is an oldie but goodie and the river levels are lining up nicely. This event consists of a bracket style format where paddlers are chosen at random to race against each other. Starting in the river right eddy above the third amigo, paddlers will race two at a time. The first paddler to reach the designated finish line wins the race. If you lose, you're done. We will continue through the bracket until the last two paddlers race! If you are eliminated and wish to continue to paddle, by all means hike for some more laps. If you crack a beer, I respectfully ask you to stay out of the river, but do enjoy your beer!

We will meet at the Castle Rock trailhead parking zone at 5:00 tonight! Any questions, hit me up!

I look forward to seeing you all a lot more over the next eight weeks. Let's make this series SICK!!!

See you tonight.

Love,

T-Pot!!

Replies:
Date Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 7:55am
Its Wednesday again! Who's ready to get sick?!

Tonights event will test competitors prowess in several disciplines. Team work, decision making, and endurance are going to be our focus. The name of the game is...

TUMWATER BEER RELAY!!!

Depending on participation tonight, we will team up in groups of three or four. Each team will get an Icicle Brewing Company beer that they must transport, AS A TEAM, from the Tumwater Dam to the end of the Third Amigo. First team to get their beer to the designated finish line wins!

Last year we did this event and I set designated handoff points to pass the "baton". Tonight, it will be up to the team to decide where each handoff will occur. This is where you can get creative and try and get an advantage on the other teams. However, each team member must carry the "baton" through at least one rapid. If you lose your "baton", you better find it. No littering in the river! We will select teams at random once everyone arrives.

We will meet at the end of the Third Amigo (Castle Rock) at 5:00 tonight. It may be a good idea to drop a couple cars at the Red Bridge so those who would like can do a stoke float through Chaos.

Any questions? Hit me up! See you all tonight.

Love,

T-Pot!

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 7:28am
Good morning Wenatchee Valley!!

Yep! Its Humpday! Time to get stoked.

We're in that part of the year where our river levels are living at a nice constant. Over the last three weeks, we've seen flows jump from 2,500 cfs to almost 4,000 cfs and back down. If it wasn't so damn cold at night, maybe we would actually see this thing let loose! The time will come.

Today's event is being introduced to the Wenatchee River for the first time! The monotony of repeating previous years event formats is on hold, until next week. This evening, I am very excited to bring you:

AMIGOS PINBALL!!!

Upon meeting tonight, we will divide into 2-4 teams, depending on turnout. Each team will be assigned a different color beachball! Starting in the eddy at the top of the Dam Rapid, we are going to have a mass start race consisting of all paddlers, to the top of the First Amigo. When we arrive at the First Amigo, one of our delightful volunteers is going to throw each teams beachball into the river. As a team, each group must work together to get their beachball down to the end of the Third Amigo.

This should be quite the spectacle. Invite your friends and family for some spectator support. Ned, if you feel like bringing the drone out, this would be a good time.

If anyone has any questions, bring them to the takeout tonight. Red Bridge at 5:00. See you there!

Love,

T-Pot!

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 6:56am
Awwweee Yeaaahhhh!!!! Good morning, Wenatchee Valley!! I hope y'all are ready to get extra sick today. Be sure to eat your Wheaties for breakfast because your gonna need that energy tonight.

We've entered into the season of long days, an abundance of flowing rivers, and a kayak race almost every weekend. This is the time of year where stamina plays a key role in our ability to perform under pressure. Whether you're the only one at Turkey Shoot for three hours or you're trying to take home that Robe this coming weekend, you're going to need to be able to rock out some serious paddling.

This weeks event is a Wenatchee Valley classic and I hope you can all make it. Tonight, get ready for the long haul!

RODEO TO CASHMERE BOATERCROSS ENDURO!!

Thats right! A mass start race from Rodeo Hole to the Aplets Way bridge in Cashmere (The one after Grannies). This is an opportunity to see how long you can hang with the pack. Levels are looking nice and medium, it's a beautiful day, and of course, there will be a cooler full of Icicle Brewing Company beverages and Fanta at the take out.

Meet in Cashmere at 5:00. Jay Thomas is going to be organizing and officiating tonights event as I am in Minnesota. Last year we shuttled to the Dryden Dam for a bit of a warm up before the race went down. I will leave the rest of it up to y'all. Have an awesome event tonight! I wish I could be there.

Love,

T-Pot

Date Posted: 01 May 2019 at 8:05am
Hot damn! It's Wednesday!

I hope everyone has been getting out and enjoying the goods! It's a pretty fun time of year right now, with most rivers being runnable but nothing has gone Richter yet. Icicle has been a happening spot. That Jacuzzi Wave down in Drunkards was crackin. We even had some fairly solid flows up in the Tum! Then it got cold again. After a weekend of cold fronts moving over the mountains, our seemingly constant snow melt has slowed tremendously. Save that sh*t for later!!

Anyway, as I was watching the declining flows on all of our favorite rivers, I was like wtf?! I wanted to have a freestyle event this week because we haven't had one yet and everything on the play run is about as fun as a wet towel. Then it hit me. What is steep and deep and at a perfect level today?! Oh yeah, you guessed it.

CHERRY HOLE RODEO!!!!

There may not be a better play hole on the Wenatchee River for throwing ends, blasting huge loops, and then running a big water class V rapid... Just kidding, please don't run The Wall in your play boat. Especially on accident after missing one of the 10,000 eddies downstream of Cherry Hole. But in all seriousness, Cherry Hole will be rockin tonight! I don't have a formal freestyle judging panel or scoring rubric so don't worry about winning. This is simply a freestyle jam and I hope everyone can come hang out.

Meeting at The Wall put in, up Tumwater Canyon at 5:00. Those who are relatively on time will load up and shuttle to the Tumwater Campground and enjoy a couple miles of warm up through the rapids of Upper Tumwater. If you cannot make it by 5, just show up whenever and ferry across to Cherry Hole. We'll be over there getting sick.

As per usual, this event is sponsored by Icicle Brewing Company. Prepare to enjoy a cold one after you are done paddling. If you swim, please believe that a Bootjack IPA is going in your shoe.

If you have any questions, holler at me. Otherwise, See you tonight!

Love,

T-Pot!

Date Posted: 08 May 2019 at 8:04am
Here we go again!!

I don't know about y'all but I can get down with these toasty days we've been having recently. Yesterday I found myself weed wacking my yard rocking Timberland boots, board shorts, and hater blockers. #safetyfirst Summer livin' is here!

Of course, with all this heat comes the dissipation of our snowpack. River flows are on the up and up and after a short lull, we are back on the gravy train to Church Island!!

My prediction is that sh*t is going to continue to climb in volume for the next couple weeks. This is a special time of year that allows for some seriously magical whitewater experiences in the valley. It is important to step back and be thankful for the fact the Wenatchee River and Icicle Creek dish out some of the sickest steep creeking, big water, and play boating that the world has to offer. Jah Bless!

If you've read this far, you're definitely ready to learn what tonights event is, so here you go!

LOWER ICICLE TEAM TIME TRIALS!!!

Helllll Yesssss!!! Tonight is going to be extra sick. Flows are looking prime and are on their way to juicy. No worries though, that Lower Icy boats real nice right now.

Here's how it works. You need to find a partner to race with. All teams will meet at the Snow Lake Trailhead at 5:00 pm. Once we've all convened, we will head down to the bridge and get rolling. Every minute after our starting time, a team will depart from the eddy under the bridge. It is important that teams are in boats ready to go when they are asked to drop, otherwise the timing will be totally effed. The finish line will be to touch the hand of whoever is doing the finish timing, they'll decide. Times will range from 6-10 minutes. This is an all out assault, so bring it tonight.

Any volunteer help would be greatly appreciated!! We need help with timing, shuttle, photography, and SAFETY! If you don't plan to race, please come out and hold a bag or be in your boat in one of those key spots. We will discuss more about this at the pre-race meeting. Regardless of the role you want to play, just come hang out tonight as this is an extra fun event.

Oh yeah, I just filled the cooler. Those frosty Icicle Beers are on deck. They are especially appropriate for tonights event. #fromthetopofthemountainstothebottomofyourglass

See everyone tonight!!

Love,

T-Pot!!

Date Posted: 15 May 2019 at 8:22am
Ahhhhh, rise and shine Wenatchee Valley!! Hump Day is here!

First of all, I want to thank everyone who has been coming to the weekly events. Wednesdays have definitely been a highlight of my week and the paddling community of the valley is what makes this all possible. Seriously, you guys and gals are all some sick ass ballers and we have an extra badass thing going on here.

With that being said, tonight I am bringing back one of the original Wednesday night community events. This actually may have been one of the first World Kayak sponsored events that I ever attended back when Jean-Luc Robichaux was the World Kayak guy. With 9000 cfs in the Wenatchee River this should be a plenty rowdy time. Tonights community event is:

HIGH A TO ICICLE BRIDGE HEAD TO HEAD RACES

This is full combat mode big water paddling. Finish times should be sub 5 minutes with plenty of flat water to burn out on so be ready to give'r. If you win your race, you continue to the next heat. If you loose, you get to go Uber Tubing. Tubes will be provided by Osprey Rafting Company so I recommend charging your GoPro and bringing your drysuit for this one.

We will meet at the Icicle Bridge at 5:00 to set shuttles and build a bracket at random. Again, this event is sponsored by Icicle Brewing Company so come thirsty, but not dehydrated.

Volunteer assistance for shuttle and photography would be greatly appreciated!! Bring trucks if you have them.

Any questions, hit me up. See you all tonight!!

Love,

T-Pot!

Date Posted: 22 May 2019 at 8:16am
Good morning and happy Wednesday!

It is great to have a little relief from the hot weather and some postponing of the snow melt. For the last couple days, our river flows have been on the decline, but they will return with that early summer heat.

This week we have some special guests in town that would like to share some new gear with us. The Czech Republic whitewater company, Hiko, has their 2019 demo line up with them and would love for everyone to check it out! Hiko specializes in steezy dry gear, PFDs, and apparel.

What better venue is there to test out some new gear than our very own Lower Icicle Creek?! Quick laps, easy shuttle, and plenty of space to spread out some gear at the put in. Come up at 5:00 tonight and get some laps, try some new gear, and have a tasty Icicle Beer.

Check out Hiko here: www.inwaterwelive.com

See y'all tonight!

Love,

T-Pot!

Print Page | Close Window