Forum Name: Whitewater Forum
Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16955
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 1:54am

Topic: Log in MM
Posted By: bigboof
Subject: Log in MM
Date Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 10:16am
Quick heads-up - there is a log on the right side of the lead in rapid to house rocks. This is the rapid immediately following a sharp left turn. The log was not visible from up stream (at 4k) so be alert. Stay left for the 2nd half of this rapid.

Replies:
Posted By: Dirty
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 8:57pm
We didn't notice any logs in play this evening at around 2500, although I mostly stayed on the left side of the rapid.

-------------
Aaron

Posted By: chipmaney
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 9:12pm
We did two laps last Wednesday morning.

I did not see the log the first lap but did see it the second lap.

Very dangerous.

-------------
sitting all alone on a mountain by a river that has no end

Posted By: JayB
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 12:11pm

Thanks for posting these reports.

So - just to clarify a bit - if the sharp left turn itself is the "elbow" how far down the straight "arm" between this point and house rocks is the log?

I frequently take the river-right line just below the elbow. Is it right there, immediately below or is it one 50-100 yards downstream.

-------------
-Jay

Posted By: bigboof
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 1:08pm
I’f the rapid is 100 hard long total, I’d say the log is roughly 75 yards from the start of the rapid. There is large rock sticking out of the water and I believe the log is pinned on that rock.   Favor the left side on your next lap, take a look back upstream toward the end of the rapid and get your eyes on it.

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 2:04pm
Great. Thanks again for getting the word out!

-------------
-Jay

Posted By: megspk
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 12:00pm
These descriptions seem pretty confusing. I still have no idea where to look for this log? Is it still in place?
I get it's in House Rocks....but at the top entrance....the middle? Anyone have photos or a better description?
Cheers!

-------------
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

Posted By: megspk
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 12:01pm
Is the log before or after the big "Boof" at the entrance? From the description...I feel like it would be river right at the entrance below the boof.....

-------------
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 11:10pm
Ran it this evening at ~1100 cfs and saw no evidence of any wood between the sharp left corner and House Rocks. There was a large (and easily avoided) log in the center channel roughly 200 yards below House Rocks, but that was it.

-------------
-Jay

Posted By: paddlemonster
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 12:58pm
Ditto on not seeing a log. Ran it last thu at about 1400 and couldn't find it. I ran the ledge at the top right and then stayed middle/middle left for the rest of the rapid in order to look for it. Didn't see anything. I did see a log a little after house rocks in a calmer portion between rapids sticking out from the left into the middle of the channel and was able to boof over it. Maybe it moved?

Print Page | Close Window