Forum Name: Whitewater Forum
Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16935
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 11:20am

Topic: Deglossing a Sweet helmet
Posted By: jblum
Subject: Deglossing a Sweet helmet
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 5:57pm
I just bought a new Sweet Rocker helmet and she’s very shiny.   Does anyone have experience making it less glossy, effectively changing it to a matte finish? I know it will void the warrantee and don’t mind.

I googled it and there wasn’t an answer or post anywhere about this!

Any suggestions welcome. Dragging head on bottom of the river has been tried, but just leaves gloss with scratches...

-------------
JHB

Replies:
Posted By: NateW
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 9:08pm
I doubt there is any way you can pull that off and make it look good. Why not just buy one of the matte versions?

Posted By: jblum
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 9:31pm
I got a good deal on one, and they don’t make a red one to match my red Nomad in matte anymore. Just the orange matte which doesn’t fit my color scheme...

-------------
JHB

Posted By: NateW
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 8:21am
You could try matte plasti dip? I think you'd have to sand the shell of the helmet to get it to stick at all. It'd add weight and probably it'd tear easily.

Honestly the shiny helmets look better long term. Matte looks good initially but it doesn't hide scratches nearly as well.

I think it'd be a major mistake to sand or frankly do anything to the shell of the helmet as you don't know how it'd compromise the safety of the helmet.

Posted By: James
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 1:56pm
Mix 1 part paint thinner. 2 parts Salicylic Acid, stir then paint or float the helmet in the solution and allow it to cure and set for 3 or 4 days.Wash well.

When handling solution: stay away from any heat sources, open flames or people discussing politics.

Posted By: Mr.Grinch
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 5:41pm
0000 Steel Wool, use a swirling/circular motion. This will remove a negligible amount of the gloss finish coat/layer of plastic.

Print Page | Close Window