Forum Name: Whitewater Forum
Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15918
Printed Date: 18 Mar 2024 at 9:25pm

Topic: Spring paddling flow projections
Posted By: T4eresa
Subject: Spring paddling flow projections
Date Posted: 26 Dec 2017 at 9:36am
Hello paddle people! I live in PDX and have not yet explored the Seattle area. Thinking of coming up this spring for a tour of the class III and IV of the region--maybe a taste of V or I might walk it. Anyway my question has to do with the odds of good flows in the springtime. I realize that we don't even know yet if the La Nina pattern will continue into the spring. What's the optimal time in spring for a planned trip up there, knowing full well that the rains come when they come and I could miss? Thanks.   

Replies:
Posted By: Dale
Date Posted: 26 Dec 2017 at 12:11pm
May?

If you have a list of runs you would like to do and they have USGS gauges, you could look at the historical data to see when they were running. You can find them by clicking through from the AW page for any given run on through to the USGS site.

Posted By: T4eresa
Date Posted: 26 Dec 2017 at 12:25pm
Way too lazy for all that much research.    What runs SHOULD I target? What runs do you know well and are willing to show folks down?? Noted: May is potentially a good time.

Posted By: JayB
Date Posted: 26 Dec 2017 at 9:43pm

-Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie (III-IV)
-Sauk(III-IV)
-Silly-Stilly (Stillaguamish) III-IV
-Green (III-IV)
-Skykomish (Railroad Bridge to Big Eddy) III-III+
-Wenatchee (III)
-Ingalls (IV)
-Peshastin (III+)
-Fall-in-the-Wall (Upper Upper South Fork Snoqualmie) IV-V
-Cooper (IV-V) if you can catch it in the window between the time road opens up and the flows get out of hand
-Rapid (IV)
-Lower Foss (III-IV)
-Miller (IV)

Lots of very good beta on gauges/flows on the river pages....

-------------
-Jay

Posted By: NateW
Date Posted: 27 Dec 2017 at 3:09pm
May is a good time on the Wenatchee generally. You can playboat and creek within 15 minutes of each other. Cheap / free camping and easy logistics. It's a lot further than Seattle, but a trip to the Lochsa in May can be really fun.

Posted By: jP
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 9:55am
during may a curious phenomenon occurs where all this white stuff that has been way up in the higher elevations turns to liquid when temperatures increase because it cannot remain static up in the mountains when the sun comes out and it gets warm. so all this white stuff magically turns into water and pretty much where ever you want to kayak you can....but a little research would go a long way. Its good for you.

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Posted By: jP
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 9:58am
sh*t can also go nuclear in may, which is great if you like Big Water otherwise some paddlers might end up finding themselves restricted to the play run in der Town.

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Print Page | Close Window