Forum Name: Whitewater Forum
Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15912
Printed Date: 18 Mar 2024 at 9:53pm

Topic: Tilton River Guidance
Posted By: clairechild
Subject: Tilton River Guidance
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 5:01pm
My name is Cheryl Ford, a new member of Professor Paddle website and a fairly long time boater from the Portland area. I had the opportunity to run the Tilton in 2016 and adored it. My chance got blown out in 2017 due to high water, wood and pneumonia. But I'm trying to make another run at it along with a few friends.

I have high regard for the potential hazards of a slot canyon run and feel the need to follow somebody at least once again before trying it on my own. Also, knowing a group of people that are running it enough to know about wood conditions.

I looks like you are mostly kayakers and our group are mostly catarafters which I know is kind of a hassle for kayakers, but I'm wondering if there is any group, or folks that would be willing to lead a few of us down? We would all be competent Class III-IV rafters.

Thank you very much for having this forum. Cheryl Ford

Replies:
Posted By: Dale
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 6:47pm
http://wrrr.org/

Posted By: chipmaney
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 11:16am
The Oregon Rafting Team might also be a good place to find fellow rafters to boat with

-------------
sitting all alone on a mountain by a river that has no end

Posted By: franzhorner
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 8:28am
Hi Cheryl,

WRRR does a trip down there once a year in March when lots of rafters and catboaters do the trip. There's also a few of us that go down when its running throughout the winter. Check out WRRRs FB page. I'm hoping to get down there at least a few times after the new year and usually have a group of rowers and we'd be glad to join you on a trip.

Franz

-------------
MORE RAIN PLEASE

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 10:49am
Yes, I'll definitely be there in Feb with WRRR. But it is such an awesome river, I'd like to really get to know it. Thank you so much for your offer Franz. I really appreciate it. May I send you an email directly during the winter to check to see when you might be doing it?

Thanks

Cheryl

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 12:53pm
be in touch anytime...franzhorneratyahoodotcom

-------------
MORE RAIN PLEASE

Posted By: BIGWATER
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 7:07am
I run the Tilton all the time. Its been nice and clean so far this season. Give a call when your heading up.
Chris 360 791 7316

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 8:30am
Thank you so much. I'll definitely keep you on my speed dial. Is it possible I get your email?

Posted By: jP
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 11:03pm
right on- the Tilt-On is a Gem fir sure. You can also ferret out some Olympia Rafters, as it is basically the Go-to Olympia community run. It runs pretty frequent also as long as some basic rain storms are moving through and it has a fairly wide flow bracket of boatable levels.

I never seem to get down there as often as I'd like but its always firmly remained on the "Return To" list!

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 5:55am
I thought this was the Olympia area website, but mostly Seattlites have responded. Do you know of a better way to contact Olympia folks?

Thanks for responding

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 7:15am
The Olympia whitewater community is almost non existent right now. I been kayaking out of Oly for 20+ years and i think this year is the least boaters in town ive ever seen. People come and go over the years. Always looken for more locals to boat with or people to rally SW WA and the Olympics. The Toutle is also a great rafting run that holds water for a while and can have a nice big feel at over 3k.

I dont realy do email much, but here it is bigwater7316@gmail.com

Chris 360 791 7316

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 7:25am
I think there are a few WRRR rafters in Oly, like Franz said. As far as kayakers that boat every week, we are down to about 4 locals..... sad

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 7:41am
Oh I'm sorry, well we've got some keeners down here. The Toutle is wonderful, love that Hollywood Gorge. Even the quieter sections are so fascinnating. Thanks Bigwater. I really look forward to boating with you.

Posted By: czyaaron
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 7:23am
I am a local in the Olympia area and boat with Bigwater. I however am rarely on this site, or any social media site for that matter. If you want to reach out to paddle, you will have to roll back the clock and contact me the old fashioned way. 206 409-0741

Hope to see you soon.

- Aaron

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 7:27am
Aaron, thank you so much. I will indeed. Actually, I'm really old school and had to really stretch to get on Professor Paddle. Thanks

Cheryl

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 8:15am
Level questions. What is the lowest you'd float it and what's the highest you'd float it? I would assume it is a river that the levels spike pretty fast because it is so narrow. Thanks Franz I really look forward to at least two or more runs this year. What a fun run.

Cheryl

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 9:48am
I'll have to check my river log to figure out how low I've run it but I'm pretty sure we did it really low once. The highest I ever did it was in my IK. I don't think the river gets all that much harder for cat boats with increased levels...

-------------
MORE RAIN PLEASE

Posted By: czyaaron
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 5:30pm
Level limits are pretty tricky, because it depends on so many variables. I don't mind rocky runs, and others prefer more water. I am also in a kayak, and it sounds like you might be in some kind of raft. I personally have run it between 400 cfs and 5500 cfs, and all levels were great for the kayak. The river pretty much does what you would expect it to when the flow changes; low water becomes slower and more technical, and as the flow increases, things speed up and become pushy and very swirly in the canyons. I guess I would say, I like it at every level I been on it. The river is often in the 1500 cfs range, and I would say this is a good level to learn the run; Plenty of water for a raft, and slow enough to enjoy the scenery. Give us a call when you are heading up, and we would love to get on the river with you.

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 5:38pm
Wonderful info, thank you. Yeah we are in cats, so still quite maneuverable. But not like a kayak. We'll talk soon I'm sure.

Cheryl

Print Page | Close Window