Whitewater Forum: best rafting training run?
Print Page | Close Window

best rafting training run?

Printed From: ProfessorPaddle.com
Category: General
Forum Name: Whitewater Forum
Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15883
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 1:31am

Topic: best rafting training run?
Posted By: matt a
Subject: best rafting training run?
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 2:19pm
Hey, I'm heading down the rogue next summer in July or August (lowish flows) and anticipate having some first timers at the oars. I'll take them for a weekend of training this spring, hopefully running laps both days.

My first training run was the play run on the Wenatchee, but its not exactly ideal: The water is bigger than is optimal for an intro; the type of water is very different than what they'll get on the Rogue and there's a fair amount of flat water (I.e. wasted time).

Suggestions? I'd be happy to spend both days on the same run, or maybe even better, an easier run on Day 1 and a harder one on day 2.

thanks much, matt

(fyi, I'm planning to take their boats down rainie falls for them and be ready to do the same if needed for blossom bar).

Replies:
Posted By: franzhorner
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 9:08pm
I recommend the Sauk. I think its similar enough to the Rogue although it doesn't have that tight swirly canyon stuff like above Blossom. You can do a sweet overnighter starting at Bedal and ending at Backman which offers lots of 2-3, and a couple friendly 3+ rapids. Also you can practice getting a feel for the loaded boat and camping on the river.

-------------
MORE RAIN PLEASE

Posted By: jP
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 10:49am
I can suvgest three different rivers that are a perfect training ground for ANY boater running Any craft:

The Skykomish,the Skykomish and the Skykomish.

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Print Page | Close Window