Whitewater Forum: Skykomish River: #3 threatened river in U.S.
Print Page | Close Window

Skykomish River: #3 threatened river in U.S.

Printed From: ProfessorPaddle.com
Category: General
Forum Name: Whitewater Forum
Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15822
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 6:24am

Topic: Skykomish River: #3 threatened river in U.S.
Posted By: jP
Subject: Skykomish River: #3 threatened river in U.S.
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 4:26pm
Hello to anyone who still tunes in here despite Facebook siphoning traffic away from all of the "Mom n Pop" social media platforms such as this one.

The ongoing threat of Hydro development proposed by Snohomish County PUD (SnoPUD) at Sunset Falls on the Skykomish River is rearing its ugly head once more like the Seven Headed Hydro it is.
If you are already aware of this issue and want to cut to the chase and take action, jump down to my second post on this thread.

For any newcomers to the area, or newcomers to the sport of whitewater paddling in general, and for those who maybe know of the threat to our beloved Skykomish River but are fuzzy on the details, here is the Nutshell:

SnoPUD is in the process of trying to obtain licensing to construct a hydroelectric facility at Sunset Falls on the S. Fk Skykomish River just upstream of Index, Wa. Not only will this greatly impact Federally listed endangered salmon, but winter Steelhead and Bull Trout as well.
The Skykomish River enjoys numerous Legal Protections all indicating that hydro development at the proposed site is destructive and should be prohibited. Yet we live in an era when facts do not matter to the despots who seem hellbent on pushing their agendas through against the Public Interest despite overwhelming opposition and evidence that this is a bad idea all around. This project would nullify The Skykomish River's eligibility for federally protected Wild And Scenic Status.
The proposal involves blasting a tunnel adjacent to the second largest landslide in Snohomish County (You've heard of Oso, Right? ). This landslide threatens local residents downstream, and blasting can only serve to destabilize it further despite what SnoPUD's PR machine will have you believe.

Another main component of this is the sheer idiocy of the project itself and its numerous flaws. As if the threat to fish and wildlife and the potential threat posed to human life by blasting so close to this landslide isn't enough, the project simply is not necessary. While hydroelectric may have a valid role to play in a diverse portfolio of energy producing options, this is not the place to do it.
This projects stinks a foul stench of boondoggle and backroom secret deals. It is an expensive project to build and will be expensive to operate and maintain. The power produced by it is expected to cost ratepayers between 10-20 cents per kWh as opposed to the 3-4 cents per kWh if SnoPUD simply buys power from Bonneville. This cost will be passed onto ratepayers by increases in rates, as SnoPUD admitted in their Draft License Application filed last February.
So It WILL NOT produce power when power is needed most, and when it does it will be expensive power. If you were jonsing to paddle last December or January you know that when these cold snaps arrive, the rivers shut off like a valve and flows are reduced to a trickle. Common sense acknowledges that demand for electricity spikes inversely during these times: with cold weather comes an increase in power demand and this project WILL NOT meet that demand.

I could go on and on about this project because the negatives vastly outweigh any possible gains by building this. It is clearly against the Public Interest.

Please see the next post, and TAKE ACTION TODAY!!

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Replies:
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 4:37pm

TAKE ACTION NOW!!!

this is a real simple one. Just click on this American Rivers link for another summary of the threat posed to the Skykomish River:

- https://www.americanrivers.org/endangered-rivers/south-fork-skykomish-river-wa/

It will give you some comprehensive info about the threat SnoPUD poses, and then a button you can click that will give you a form letter to fill out that will go to Governor Jay Inslee and the Dept. Of Ecology. All you gotta do is fill out some personal info and then pull the trigger. we're talking two minutes. Super easy.

Oh? you want me to stream line it further for you? here you go- This link directly plugs you into the form letter, minus the informational background, but, I suggest you click the first link and better educate yourself so you can spur other people to action. Regardless, if you are super busy, here is the quickest route:

- http://act.americanrivers.org/page/speakout/protect-the-skykomish?js=false

The important thing is that YOU Take Action. TODAY. Because "The River Can't Speak For Itself"

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 4:49pm
Well, once again, the utilities designed to put a functional link in a post here on PP seems to be broken. Those links are valid, but you'll probably have to cut and paste them to your browser. I am super duper ultra uber busy so I may run out of time needed to fix this.

Please to someone, anyone and everyone reading this please please also get these links out on Facebook, Ok? I do not have an FB account. Please spread this like WILDFIRE NOW!!!

You can direct people here to view what I wrote in the first post, because American Rivers has focused on the Fish and Wildlife and the River's Existing Legal Protections (that SnoPUD and FERC are violating and ignoring). My post includes other details about the project. This thread will continue currently into the near future as I return to provide more details about the project. But for now, the focused thrust is on clicking that American Rivers Link and letting Governor Inslee and The Dept. of Ecology know you care about the Skykomish.

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Posted By: irenen
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 9:12am
Modified quote from JP's post with the links working:

American Rivers link w/summary of the threat posed to the Skykomish River:

https://www.americanrivers.org/endangered-rivers/south-fork-skykomish-river-wa/ - https://www.americanrivers.org/endangered-rivers/south-fork-skykomish-river-wa/

Here is the quickest route to the form where you can take action:

Link: 
http://act.americanrivers.org/page/speakout/protect-the-skykomish?js=false - http://act.americanrivers.org/page/speakout/protect-the-skykomish?js=false

** If you share on Facebook after signing it will really help.

The important thing is that YOU Take Action. TODAY. Because "The River Can't Speak For Itself"

-------------
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.

Posted By: megspk
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 10:06am
Shared on FB!! Thanks JP!!!

-------------
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 4:32pm
Thanks to you both!
Yup. Now is a timely thrust to flood Governor Inslee's office with this concern, and also encourage Department of Ecology to stick to their guns regarding Minimal Instream Flows. SnoPUD's project is absolutely absurd and there is NO WAY it is economicly viable unless they get this state law changed for them. If they did, it would be very destructive to outmigrating fish.

Thanks to anyone/everyone who helps to bang this drum at these punctuated moments. They come out of the blue, but if we can respond to these calls to action in a timely manner (only takes a two minute detour from any online activity), WE CAN make a difference. I can't stress enough that when each and every paddler reflects upon the mercy the river has shown him or her, when we add up all of the days of joy it has provided for us, the bonds with humans and nature the river has forged, we OWE it to the river to spend a few minutes here and there to fight for its preservation. TAKE THE POWER BACK!!!

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Print Page | Close Window