Forum Name: Whitewater Forum
Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15527
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 3:06pm

Topic: Newbie Paddle
Posted By: megspk
Subject: Newbie Paddle
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 1:30pm
I'm putting together a newbie paddle Sunday June 12th. We are doing the class 2 section of the South Fork of the Skykomish from Skykomish to Baring.
This is for people who don't have a roll and want to work on the basics like forward paddle strokes and catching eddies.
We are meeting at 10am behind the Skykomish Liquor and Deli.
If you're interested feel free to respond here or PM me. I posted this on Whitewater Ladies of Washington FB page too.
So far I have 5-6 newbies and 2 other seasoned paddlers to help out.
Everyone is welcome.
Dress to swim, helmets are mandatory, please be sure you have float bags in your boats! Thanks!

-------------
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

Replies:
Posted By: pottert
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 2:36pm
Megan, you should consider moving this over the the Wenatchee zone. River Fest is that weekend and we'd love to have you all out! Not to mention, we have a pool session in Leavenworth that Sunday afternoon at 4:00 so you could combo up a newbie paddle with some warm water roll practice before and/or after.

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 3:17pm
Tom, I've been considering it, but I don't know of a great beginner place on the Wenatchee to take people. I want to do this on a class 2 section as some of the people coming have no roll or much experience at all.
I think the play run is fun, but may be too full on for a very new paddler.
Do you have suggestions of a good beginner beginner section?

-------------

Posted By: NateW
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 3:52pm
The section from Cashmere to Monitor is pretty mellow, in fact I'm paddling that tonight with a new paddler friend of mine. I'm not sure I'd call it class II, but the rapids are far more mellow than the stuff between leavenworth and Cashmere.

Posted By: NateW
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 8:03am
Cashmere->Monitor section seems pretty good for a beginner. It's significantly easier than the play run. You can park for free (no discover pass) on the north side of the river at the Wenatchee County Park.

Posted By: JoesKayak
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 8:47am
The upper Wenatchee is a great beginner run. Similar size and feel as the SF Sky run too. It's a long run so most the time people run a section of it rather than all 16 miles. The bridge on the Chumstick Highway basically divides the run in half so it's a good put-in or take out. You can run from Lake Wenatchee to there or put in there and run down to the Hwy 2 bridge.

It can be run pretty low too, so you can sometimes run it even in September/October. I hear it's really nice if you get on it when the Salmon are running but haven't seen that myself.

If your group is feeling lively after that, you can always continue down to Tumwater canyon from there.

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 6:16pm
Thanks for the Upper Wenatchee beta! I'll have to check out that section, it sounds beautiful up there too....

-------------

Print Page | Close Window