Forum Name: Whitewater Forum
Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15140
Printed Date: 26 Apr 2024 at 5:37am

Topic: Tuna opinions
Posted By: runawayjim
Subject: Tuna opinions
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 11:04pm
Anybody own a Waka Tuna? There is another shipment coming to the US in Jan and I'm wondering what people think of the plastic, outfitting, and overall quality considering a warranty replacement seems pretty unlikely. Design seems pretty sweet, although I have yet to paddle one.

Replies:
Posted By: mikenash
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2015 at 10:10am
I owned a waka tuna for a few months.The first few lowish water runs I absolutely loved it but it has its cons also. Outfitting is outstanding and plastic seems bomber. I have been paddling a zet Raptor for a few years so as I am used to that boat I will and can only compare it to the raptor.   I did paddle a burn for 4 years and the transition to the raptor took some time also.
Pros;
Tuna is fast holds a line well, manouverable and much easier to correct with a sweep stroke than the raptor as it has a little more rocker. It also boofs well because of this, easier than the raptor. It has a much more upturned bow which keeps the bow up and dry without having to work for it, also helps it accelerate out of drops.

Cons
It is 7 pnds heavier than the raptor. Not that it is heavy compared to other boats, just that zet boats are super light. Cockpit around knees is high and wide. a smaller paddler will really notice this. the high cocpit at the knees also makes it harder to roll than the raptor, requiring more effort to overcome this boyancy. although it is 80 gallons it doesnt have much bouyancy in the stern.and the aggressive rails back there make it a bit grabby. especially in burly water. To overcome this you need to stay way forward, paddle aggressively and fast. As long as you are moving fast it is not a problem. cruising down a burly rapid will likely get you flipped. Also I cant imagine paddling it loaded.

My next boat is going to be the Zet Toro. Looks like the cons of the raptor have been mitigated in the Toro. Fingers crossed.

Hope this helps, and remember this is only my opinion/comparison.

Posted By: runawayjim
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2015 at 10:14am
Right on, great response Mike, thanks.

Posted By: turtlepower
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2015 at 8:25pm
I would check to make sure it's dolphin free first.

-------------
You've been Chunderstruck!

Posted By: tiziak
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2015 at 10:15pm
Mike, you better buy a Mamba!

-------------
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis

Posted By: Jed Hawkes
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 1:10pm
http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/bliss-stick-waka-kayaks-tuna/2

Here is a in depth review of the Tuna.

General opinion is that if your agressively driving this boat it's very fun, but as soon as you are in the back seat or passive it will punish you. I moved away from the Burn for this very reason, great boat until you were out of control. Not having paddled the Tuna enough I can't say with certainty how it feels. I would imagine that someone with an average build and height would love this boat. In the few times I paddled it I felt like a lanky monster in it (I'm 6'2").

-------------
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723

Posted By: ENDO
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 12:07am
I got Mike's Tuna off him. I love it, its a great boat. I'm 6'2" about 170.

A few opinions vs. Mike's review (which overall I agree with)
- You don't need to paddle the boat fast as much as smooth, the boat gets up on a plane pretty quickly, meaning it drops off a plane quick as well.
-It will punish bad form harder than most kayaks, wether that be stroke, posture, or whatever. But if paddled well, the boat is wonderful.
-Loading the boat is fine, as long as you load a little weight in the bow/move your seat forward a bit. Did 3 days in it and it was great.
-The high volume bow will not punch stuff, but because of the bow, you start going over stuff a lot easier. I have breezed over a few holes and have been confused how I flew over it so easily. But, I have also been complacent, expecting the boat to breeze over something, and got my ass kicked.
-There defiantly is a learning curve, but every boat has a learning curve. This boat's curve is just a bit steeper.

I do suggest you paddle one first, I paddled the blisstick version before buying Mike's. You're welcome to take mine out when I'm back west here in a few weeks.

Posted By: imageAK
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 3:35am
Id love to buy that Waka off you endo, after you're done with it.
Ive paddled a bliss stick runs as my main boat since I started a little over a year ago and love it!
Up to class 5 and really I agree it rewards good form. Ive paddled a jackson villan, riot magnum, wavesport habitat 74, pyranha h3, stomper 90, pyranha nano, second gen burn, and a few boats im sure to have forgot...

The tuna is my favorite.
I feel like it drives itself, you steer and it's going.
Everything else is has been said.

-------------
aint nobody got time for that!

Print Page | Close Window