UPS - Tacoma Pool: Pogies
Print Page | Close Window

Pogies

Printed From: ProfessorPaddle.com
Category: The Class Room
Forum Name: UPS - Tacoma Pool
Forum Discription: Pool Sessions at the University of Puget Sound provided by the UPS Kayak Club
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14463
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 1:14pm

Topic: Pogies
Posted By: kevinh
Subject: Pogies
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 8:40am
I'm replacing my pogies and need some input. The pair that I've used for the last couple of years have a long cuff and fit really tight on the wrist (so much so that I need to pull one side on with teeth). Even though that sounds like a bad deal, the snug fit works really well. Now all of the new pogies I try on are HUGE in the cuff, which makes them super easy to put on but it seems like they will let so much water in on the wrists that they are self defeating.
What pogies are your favorite?
And
People that paddle with loose pogies: Do they actually work?

Replies:
Posted By: mikefromTX
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 9:01am
I have the Snapdragon pogies with wide open wrists and they work great. Used them on the Sauk at 18 degrees and my hands stayed warm. Plus in a rescue situation it's easy to get your hands out and just slide them to the middle of the paddle out of the way.

Posted By: Jed Hawkes
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 9:21am
Snap dragon, Hand stay plenty warm even with the open cuff and makes it easier to get your hand in in the middle of a rapid. the only time I notice water in my pogies is when I roll but it's not enough to even make my hands chilly. Go with the Dragon, I've had mine for 6 years and have been very happy with them.

-------------
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723

Posted By: JayB
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 12:44pm
Snap-dragon. The wide-wrist openings have a minimal effect on the warmth they provide, and the ability to get your hands back onto the paddle in the proper position in a hurry is a huge plus.

Also - when you combine them with gloves the pogie+glove combo is warmer than the just going with bare hands and the tight-wristed pogies. Some people might combine the tight-wristed pogies with gloves, but getting gloved hands through the narrow-wristed pogies was waaay too much of a pain for me and I always wound up just taking my gloves off.

-------------
-Jay

Posted By: megspk
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 7:07pm
The wide neck pogies are the best in my opinion.   They are easy to take on and off and they are very warm!! I love my snapdragon pogies.

-------------
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

Posted By: oukr9965
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 8:10am
I had the snapdragon ones and didn't care for how far they went up my arms. I switched to the IR ones. Easy to get in and out. Low tapered cuffs. Pretty sure they were the same price. Got them through outdoorplay.com

-------------
-Lanson

Posted By: Mike55
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 8:29am
If you are used to wearing gloves and or don't mind them like myself, (I wore gloves exclusively without pogies for the last 2yrs.) then I recommend pogie and gloves!

My last pair of gloves were toast (downside to gloves, they wear out fast) and decided to try pogies, Yes they keep your hands warm while in them without water, but I noticed that they do pick up water on occasional paddle strokes and while rolling, plus its cold when you take them out. I like the glove/pogie combo. warm all the time no matter what!

Posted By: the_NW
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 10:32am
I sport the Kokatat pogies. Not a super wide opening, super duper warm!!! They have lasted me the last few years with little wear. Big bonus for me is that material is supple and great for wiping the snot off of my face ;)

Posted By: Jason Orange
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 1:15pm
Buy what works for you. I'm not a big fan of Snapdragon products. I've found that their gear doesn't hold up very well. I will be replacing my pogies with those made by Wildwasser. Their Yampa pogie is bomber. I had a pair for about 8 years, but lost one last winter. I replaced them with Snapdragon pogies and haven't been pleased.

The Yampa pogies have both a velcro and brass snap paddle closures. In addition they have an interal cuff, this keeps hands extra toasty. They are also made of heavier neoprene than the Snapdragon pogies.

Here they are:

http://boc123.com/store/BOC_Kayak_Store.cfm/Manufacturer/Wildwasser%20Sport%20USA/ItemDescribe/Yampa%20Pogie/itemid/13101

Cheers,

J

Print Page | Close Window