Forum Name: Whitewater Forum
Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14427
Printed Date: 16 Apr 2024 at 3:13am

Topic: NF Skokomish beta
Posted By: tiziak
Subject: NF Skokomish beta
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2014 at 9:23am
Anybody have good beta on the Skokomish, N. Fork, Seven Stream to Staircase section?

-------------
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis

Replies:
Posted By: fiddleyak
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2014 at 11:12am
I think the run is worth the effort. I've wanted to go back for years. I think it might require a bit more hiking in the winter when the park entrance is closed. What do you want to know?

Posted By: jalmquist
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2014 at 9:40pm
Very beautiful run. But a long day, at least for us when we did it. Great spring run...

Date Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 7:15am
Is there any better beta online for escouting?  Whats the nature of the run? Are we talking Elwha class V or Jefferson class V? Little bit different situations.

-------------

Daniel Patrinellis

Posted By: fiddleyak
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 10:17am
It's pretty amazing how different the characters of the Hamma Hamma, NF Skokomish and Jefferson are, despite their close proximity.

I recall the NF not having any long committed gorges. It is more pool drop than Jefferson. There is more whitewater than on the Elwha and there were a number of big runnable V+ rapids that we walked. Given the hike in and length it is at least as hard of a run as Jefferson or the Elwha. Not to say this is an ultra classic but I think it does deserve more attention than it receives.

Date Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 12:47pm
Word. Thanks man.

-------------

Daniel Patrinellis

Posted By: jalmquist
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 1:13pm
From what I remember, Fiddleyak's synopsis seems on target. Plus, there was a bit of wood, more so than I've ever seen on the Elwha. Of course, that was just a snapshot in time from years ago, and I'm sure things are different now.

Oh, and give some thought on whether or not to venture below the bridge above Staircase rapid. The advice given to me prior to our run was to "take out at the bridge above staircase". Needless to say, we didn't heed that advise - when we got there the river below just looked so inviting. And what the heck - we figured we could portage what we didn't feel like running. We portaged all right... We might have been able to run more of the Staircase section, but we were exhausted from the hike / run, and were chasing daylight.  Dealing with that at the end of a long run put a bit of a damper on what was otherwise a great day.  Of course, if you get there feeling fresh, with time to spare, go for it.  But if you’re already tired and / or it’s getting late, heed the advice given to us – “take out at the bridge”! 

Posted By: SOPBOATER
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 10:22pm
For what it's worth. My recollection of the run is that it's worth doing. Hike is easy, right up a trail. The run is pleasant. Easier than Jefferson, more like elkhorn yet cleaner. Fairly low stress and fun. Cool gorges, yet like Ben mentions not horribly committing. This run definitely deserves more press than it gets. I don't agree with taking out at the bridge though. Running and portaging staircase proper is worth the effort. There two great rapids in there. The first drop is a no go. However the first runnable one is cool with a slide boof turn thing. The second good one which is the last is a quality boulder garden with an interesting exit. Not to say that staircase is some awesome piece or anything but certainly worth paddling over walking out. Interesting facts and other attractions include. Cool red limestone, and some of the states healthiest and largest bull trout. They are visible in the pools and can be seen if you are lucky chomping down pan size trout. This is one of the last strongholds for a species that demands cold extremely clean water with enough productivity to support good prey populations. Enjoy at a distance however as they are illegal to target with fishing gear. They are beautiful and colored like easter eggs during certain times of year.

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 7:57am
sh*tchya! This canyon sounds super sick. Thanks for the beta gentlemen. I will be on the prowl.

-------------

Daniel Patrinellis

Print Page | Close Window