Forum Name: Whitewater Forum
Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13623
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 4:07pm

Topic: Raging River
Posted By: Mr.Grinch
Subject: Raging River
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2013 at 9:25pm
Anyone scoped this in the last year? I know it is a narrow flow window even if the wood situation is clear, but it is one of those little gems that is oft overlooked, from what I hear.

So, anyone got current updates?

Anyone else got an eye towards this run like I do?

-------------
nnln.

Replies:
Posted By: JoesKayak
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2013 at 12:49pm
I used to run this a fair bit and wouldn't mind getting back in to take a look. Wood situation was bad last time, but that was 4 years ago or so. Last time I drove the Preston-Fall City road I did a little road scouting and the wood didn't seem too bad, but then you can't see everything either.

I'd be game to do a run when it's low, like around 300. Bumpy at that level but generally easier to deal with wood.

Posted By: snowplower
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2013 at 1:09pm
I'm interested. Been about 10 yrs for me

Posted By: Mr.Grinch
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2013 at 1:17pm
Thanks for the shared interest. When we start gettig some rain, how about we make a day of it:
Get there early and do some road scouting,
Tiptoe down,
then if it's worth it:
Do some laps.

Seems like a continuous enough and short enough run, with an easy shuttle, that it would be worth it and with minimal hassle.

All dependent on wood, of course.

-------------
nnln.

Posted By: justinjt
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2013 at 8:20pm
U can count me in to any day between now and January 4

-------------
O sh*t

Posted By: jP
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2013 at 1:20am
Awesome. I've always wanted to run this.
Unfortunately I doubt I'll be able to make it happen this winter.

Go in and get it done and let us know what's goin on in there these days!! Joe has written up a good description on the Raging R. Page, but an updated T.R. would be valuable! I'd be stoked to hear about what you guys find.

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Posted By: JoesKayak
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 9:20pm
A bit of a longshot (like this river usually is) but with a bit more rain tomorrow, the Raging might come up enough for a scouting run on Sunday. I'm gonna keep an eye on it and cross fingers.

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2013 at 1:56am
Sweet hopefully the wood situation isn't bad

-------------
O sh*t

Posted By: jP
Date Posted: 14 Dec 2013 at 6:55am
Cool. I'd be stoked if someone was ELF or otherwise low water content to go in and probe it, then give me the green light if it was cleanish. Can you do that if you go?

According to my most trusted direct source of beta for this run I'm probably going to want 18-22k pumping through the Power House, which could spell a little bit of doom if the Raging was clogged w/ wood in the wrong spot. But honestly, I be stoked for any flow as long as I'm not scraping down it.

Definitely keep us in the loop and let us know what flows you have and how it is... Try to imagine what wood hazards would be like w/ more water because sometimes higher water provides egress.

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 8:18pm
What's up grinch this is justin would like to do this run however don't know anything about it

-------------
O sh*t

Posted By: The NZA
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2014 at 9:18am
I ran this in spring of this year and we ended up I think only doing one portage. We spend a lot of time scouting. The portage was very close to the top. But I would imagine that, given this only runnable when flooding, the wood changes with each run? Or maybe the wood rarely changes because this doesn't even flood that much. In either case, I am down to do it again. Though it's not looking likely this weekend as it looks like we hit our peek for  this rain cycle.

Posted By: jalmquist
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2014 at 12:20pm
Ditto the NZA - hopped on this run a couple of times this past spring, and the only real portage was just upstream of the 86th Street bridge in Preston.  You could stop on the bridge, look upstream, and easily see the situation.  Portage RR was easy.  Other than that, there were a couple of wood moves that would be optional portages should you choose, both just downstream of Preston in the area of Icy Creek.  One was a limbo of a HUGE log in a braided channel area - at lower flows this would be pretty easy to duck under.  The other was a river wide "in-the-water" log JUST upstream of the Icy Creek confluence.  This was a bit hard to see from upstream.  With enough water you could paddle over this log.  But it did have a lot of current going underneath, so be careful.  Of course, that was last spring, so who knows what you'll find now.  That's part of the fun!     

Posted By: cchollnd
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 8:43pm
I would be interested in taking a look at this around 300 cfs... 

Date Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 10:14am
Unless something has changed, at 300cfs the limbo under the big log should be easy - you might not even have to duck.  The river-wide log just upstream of Icy Creek might be problematic, as not much water would be flowing over the top.  But it should be easy to hop out just upstream RR to inspect and step around if need be.   

Posted By: CErickson12
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 1:54pm
I live about a half a mile from the raging. I would be interested in getting on it at low levels as well. You can also put in up by highway18 and make it a bit longer run as well. Let me know when you all plan to run it!

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 4:42pm
Brian,

Not sure if you're referring to Tom Bell's fatality (1999).  If so, that was above the Hwy 18 bridge.   

Posted By: MN Mike
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 12:58am
I was out with NZA last year and we put in at 86th Street bridge in Preston so as to avoid the log jam. Not sure what's between there and I-90 (the recommended putin), but we figured it was unlikely we would find our shangri la in that quarter mile of river running through semi-rural surburbia. I'm curious what's up there, but it didn't seem worth it at the time.

Someone posted a video on here of the mm being well over 10+k that weekend. It was the flood that put "general log" at the lead in to house rocks. The Raging was in the neighborhood of 700cfs for most of the day. I still thought there were spots where the river could've used more water but mostly it was pretty friendly. I'm curious to hear what people think at elf.

It had a bit of a Tieton-like quality to it: fast, shallow, you don't find an eddy- you make an eddy. Definitely solid III+ boat and wood skills recommended. It's not for the casual class III boater. The run keeps you on your toes, but there are two really fun sections, one canyon and a decently long boulder garden (not in that order). I certainly recommend this run if you've already seen the mm and sf sno at epic levels. Watch out for wood!

Posted By: burn
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 9:22pm
i thought it was running at a 1000 cfs that day Mike

Print Page | Close Window