Forum Name: Whitewater Forum
Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13541
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 1:09pm

Topic: Pilchuck response team
Posted By: JoesKayak
Subject: Pilchuck response team
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 11:50am
Just noticed that the Pilchuck came into shape today... and will probably drop out by the weekend. 

Anyway... here's a new thread for this winter's Pilchuck watchers. When it has water its one of the funnest around.

Post here if you're thinking of headed to the Pilchuck.... upper or middle run.

Anyone manage to get on it today?

Replies:
Posted By: Wiggins
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 1:42pm
I wish I knew. I have the day off, and I am wanting to take the Mini Max on it.

Kyle

-------------
I smell bacon

Posted By: bigboof
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 1:51pm
we got on it last night. deer was really high so we opted out and headed to pilchuck.

there was some new wood to work around for sure but didn't have to make any portages. one new tree across the entire river we were able to duck under on the river right. i would imagine some of that stuff would have moved around last night. great lap though. we put on at 3:40 and were off by dark

Posted By: jonlcrain
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 1:52pm
What was the level on the gauge above the take out?

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by bigboof

we got on it last night. deer was really high so we opted out and headed to pilchuck.

there was some new wood to work around for sure but didn't have to make any portages. one new tree across the entire river we were able to duck under on the river right. i would imagine some of that stuff would have moved around last night. great lap though. we put on at 3:40 and were off by dark

Awesome! Glad to hear you guys got on it and nice work racing daylight. Is the wood gone at that first big left turn drop? When I was last there in April we had to portage.

Posted By: WA-Boater
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 7:14pm
Shoot Sean. I just about headed up that way from bellevue around 230 yesterday. I called JP and he was dried out on the Tye and I figured nobody else was either there or could rally last minute. Didn't think I could sort out a shuttle and pull it off in daylight in time. Should have just went for it - probably would have run into you guys...next time.

-------------

Posted By: jP
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 6:47pm
Ah yes, the elusive Pilchuck...
When we were up there dry-ving down from the Top Dry, and Darren called about the Pilchuck activation, I felt like crying. Wrong place at the wrong time.

Sigh.
Next Time.

Great thread title, btw

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 6:49pm
Hope I get another shot at making the Response Team soon!

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Posted By: snowplower
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 10:01pm
Took the boys out on upper Pilchuck Sunday, they saw the lines and hazards. We dropped the Alder near the top that was clear acrossed. We can paddle right over now. It was about 200-220

Posted By: WA-Boater
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2013 at 10:21am
looks like some solid action towards the end of the months

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 12:12pm
Keepin eyes on the gage tonight. Might have water in the Pilchuck tomorrow.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 1:59pm
Mmmmm might come in for a late afternoon run. Anyone want to rally if it comes in? I am off today so heading there to get a visual. I'll post what I see.

Posted By: commander fun
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 3:04pm
im in if its not too high.  i would probably just jump in with you guys right below the falls since im not really up to running the upper.

206-553-9461

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 7:27pm
Oh man, looks like I could miss out again. I gotta say its one of the gems of the puget low lands. But, looks like plans are firming for a little drive south for a change...

Maybe a backup plan if we end up needing one

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 7:33pm
Commander,

If you don't think you could handle the upper section in a kayak you could R2 it with me.

Kyle

-------------
I smell bacon

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 7:43pm
yeah im down for whatever give me a call wiggins

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 8:25pm
I have a few folks interested in a run tomorrow. Will check out the gage in the AM and make a decision then. Backup plan may be a run on the silly stilly which is forecast to head into the sporty zone.

Posted By: MN Mike
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 9:06pm
I may be in, but it would be my first time on it so I'm looking for moderate levels in the am. I'll let you know...

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 9:35pm
Man, I can't believe I made plans to leave Snohomish County!
Well yall have fun. One of these days I'll make it back up to the Silly Stilly too.

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 10:04pm
Joe,

What time are you thinking of meeting?

Kyle

-------------
I smell bacon

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 10:14pm
Probably 10 or so. Will make a call in the AM after checking gagues around 7.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 10:21pm
If it comes up enough, we planned on 10 as well
It stopped raining here in town so that's a bummer

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 10:22pm
Bellingham is raining hard, and the power is out.

Kyle

-------------
I smell bacon

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 10:30pm
well i'll be up early checking everything as well.

206-553-9461

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2013 at 6:38am
Looks like it just peaked at right over 1600 cfs.
Early bird gets the Pilchuck worm today. It will be probably be too low by 10am.

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2013 at 8:33am
4.2 ft on the stick JP gauge rock is barely sticking out of the water.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 4:42pm
Thanks, Jon!

Hey what do you think about tomorrow morning?
I think there is potential of it coming in sweet.

My deal is I need to be out there early. Like, 9am on Hwy 9 or something close. Not only because I want to catch it high off the spike, but also because I have stuff to do in the afternoon.

Who can rally tomorrow morning for pilchuck creek?

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 6:09pm
Have any of you been hittin up the 41411 for "Level Pilchuck"?
It just returned a value of 802cfs, rising. Never thought to try it but I guess the esteemed Mr. Robinson plugged those data points into the mix...

Probably was active for awhile I just never tried it till now.
This changes everything !

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 8:02pm
about a mile from the put in there was a sharp left turn that had a couple of logs.  we were able to duck underneath them on the river left.  the level was about 1200 cfs.  later in the run, after the 2 major class IV drops, there was a river wide log that had to be portaged.  plenty of time to see it and get out, but pay attention.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 9:06pm
Yo man- thanks for the heads up. When did you run it? This last wave of rain (sunday)?

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 9:09pm
You end up raftin it w/ wiggins?

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 9:57pm
We ended up rafting it Saturday. The wood we had to portage was just after the bridge where people put on the middle section. We bushwacked down the right bank, but learned later there was a easy portage on the left right at the logjam.

Here are a couple of videos.

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grmLvz5BHq8

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v0Oh-4SODs

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_ir-Ubflzw

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX-164j5uEc

Kyle

-------------
I smell bacon

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 10:24pm
Right on, Kyle--
Looks like a fun trip

So that second clip, the one titled "Big Drop", (where you guys got the side surf a bit and you said you shoulda been further right) that's the one we been calling Pil Pusher. Definitely the single most "big" move, or at least I think so, before the Falls. Its the broken ledge everyone refers to as "that one big ledge next that big rock"...
That rapid is worthy of a name for sure.

It seems to always go fine but Its kinda rowdy!!

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 10:39pm
yeah that drop is the only one i can recall really well.  defnitley a step up.

kyle- those links dont seem to be working right.  when i click on them, it just brings this thread page up again.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 10:58pm
I can't figure them out. If you cut and paste them the addresses are right.

It probably has a name, but I have always just refered to that one big drop.

Kyle

-------------
I smell bacon

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 6:44am
Seems like one doesn't need to be in a super hurry to get Pilchuck this morning- its huge like everything else. Huge.

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 12:49pm
If it comes down for tomorrow or Thursday I could be convinced to go.

Kyle

-------------
I smell bacon

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2013 at 11:20pm
So I finnally made the Response Team this year! Always hard to tell what you're gonna get till you get out there and look. Man sh*t ton construction they are building a new HWY 9 BRIDGE, one w/ 2 lanes.

The 9:00am meet turned into 9:30-10, so the creek dropped out as always, although at first glance looked pretty high. Once it built into its busy-boogie mode on the top stretch, it was obviously much lower than when Jed and I ran it at 5.2'.

It was fun juicy class IV/IV+ and what I'd call the "low side of perfect" for solid class IV and V boaters looking for casual non stop action. Floating past the stick guage above the take out it read 4.44'. The rock making the pourover was barely trying to poke through the pourover fabric, but the pourover still had some fatness to it.

Kyle, having watched your videos was helpful because I knew to look for that wood on a left bend that Commander Fun may have mentioned in an above post. Then when I saw it I recognized it from your vid, so thanks. At that flow it made a few really solid paddlers paddle in earnest to get left!

That was the only real noteworthy wood. The next wood we encountered had egress on R. Left, and any subsequent wood we encountered thereafter coukdn't really be considered to be "in play". But this is all said within a class IV context at higher flows.

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2013 at 11:31pm
The other thing to note, is using 41411 to text the level. "Level Pilchuck" is unfortunately of little use because it only updates a few times in a twelve hr period. Just paddled w/ the architect of this awesome resource (41411) and he said that the DOE guages can be less reliable than USGS, which makes sense given a smaller budget. I've never had that problem w/ the Icicle guage tho. At least not such large blocks of time between updates.

I will still ping "Level Pilchuck" in the future, but I also recommend getting both NF Stilly guage readings. The Arlington value minus the Oso value gives you a rough Deer Creek flow, which in turn should help you guage the Pilchuck, since they are neighbors.

Anyway it is a beautiful little creek!

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2013 at 7:13pm
Another note about flows: there may be a weird discrepency between the foot guage and the online DOE cfs guage, or maybe I need to slow down and look more closely (probably the case)

All my info on the Pilchuck guage is consistent with respect to the foot guage, but unfortunately you can't see that guage before your run without tresspassing on private prop. If you look at the Pilchuck page, I have my cfs notes with question marks after the cfs number. This was at least a ballpark figure at the time I noted them.

Yet, the other day it was saying it was 3000 cfs when the foot giage read 4.44'. I am skeptical because
1) It didn't feel like 3k on the creek to me
2) It was dropping fast as always and the 3,000cfs figure was old data that didn't update as I pointed out in an above post.

People are saying how 2500 or 3,000 is a great level. These people are paddling lots of IV and V, and while generally they are experienced enough to trust when they give you beta, I'm not sure about this cfs figure...

Just saying.
I could be the one who is off. But the stick guage doesn't lie. I'd be really surprised if we were actually boating on 3,000 cfs like the online DOE guage claims. It just didn't feel like that much water. Not even close!
But it was medium-fat n juicy class IV fun, I can attest to that!

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2013 at 8:35pm
More detail about the Pilchuck guage as it pertains to using 41411 to get the value as a text message, for those who want to geek out on this like I apparently am...

On Nov 19th at 6:21am I requested "Level Pilchuck", and promptly recieved the reply
     "2610 cfs at 4:45 AM on 11/19
      rising 45 cfs/hr
      Pilchuck Cr. @ Bridge 626"

...and then again at 7:30am I got the same value of 2610 at 4:45am.

I guess I got busy coordinating logistics, driving out to the HWY 9 bridge, and putting on. I really only Pinged it again at 1:51pm after the run, and it read:
     "3070 cfs at 10:45 AM on 11/19
      rising 15 cfs/hr
      Pilchuck Cr. @ Bridge 626"

So maybe that's about right, and what we saw at the bridge was about 3k. We were away from the bridge for abput half an hour before the rest of the crew arrived, so just in the time it took to arrive at the Put In, there wasn't 3k there at the put in. No f'n way.

Meanwhile I had been pinging the N. Frk Stilly's two guages to correlate. And this is messed up, too: check this out-
I pinged the Arlington guage at 7:31am, which returned this:
     "16100 cfs at 7:15 AM on 11/19
       rising 100 cfs/hr
       NF STILLAGUAMISH RIVER NEAR ARLINGTON, WA"

Then pinged the Oso guage at 7:32am (upstream of Deer Creek) and got this:
     "10400 cfs at 2:00 AM on 11/19
      rising 430 cfs/hr
      N.F. Stillaguamish R. @ Oso"

Note that while the two values were requested at around 7:30am, the Arlington value was recorded at 7:15 while the Oso value was recorded at 2:00am.
This is even more bothersome than the Pilchuck guage, in a way, because you can't guage the two against each other (to guess Deer Creek's flow, for example) if those values are 5 hrs off.
Maybe I'm missing something but damn-
That's just wrong! Don't these hydrologists understand we gotta go boating here? This data is IMPORTANT!!

BUDGET CUTS OR NO.
CONTEMPLATING A TIM EYEMAN INITIATIVE TO FIX THIS
just kidding, and I know Tim Eyeman has no influence over USGS, thank goodness.

The point is that the devil is in the details, as all the seasoned paddlers know. And the reason I'm obsessing over this creek in particular is because it flashes so quick. It would be great to have some reliable info to guide the decision making. Especially since most of Washington's rivers flow way more often than Pilchuck does. And since I like this one high, it is even harder to be quick on the draw. It is difficult to impress upon your paddling buds just how crucial it is to be out there as early in the morning as possible. Darren was of course out there before anyone, ready to go.

for the class IV-V boaters who want to catch this at their fun, fat 'n fluffy flows, the EARLY BIRD GETS THIS WORM. That means having a plan the night before when all the guages are blowing up. Because you don't have time to guess about who's committed, who's not, when/where are we picking up him or her, ect. No you gotta have all that sh*t figured out before hand, the night before. I was delayed probably an hour just sending texts to everyone...

Still, it worked out great. We may have lost a little water and been late putting on but not by much. Had a great crew of five total.

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 29 Nov 2013 at 9:38pm
Could be a reprisal of the Pilchuck Goodness, requiring another response Monday morning...

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 6:08am
Good Morning peeps, looks like Pilchuck is in this morning. Anyone care to rally for a lap? I'd say the earlier the better!

Its probably on the lower side of runnable, I'd guess about 4ft on the stick gauge. Internet gauge is reading 1200 cfs and climbing (although the creek may have peaked already).

Posted By: jondufay
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 10:09am
Just talked to john c rain. In route there now.

-------------
ahh, f--- it dude, lets go boating...

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 10:18am
It's higher than I thought.....
5.2 on the stick. JPs gauge rock is a nice fat brown pour over.
High side of good.

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 11:02am
Still coming up......5.5 feet on the stick and rising. JP pour over looking like Beyoncé. Huge logs coming down and collecting on the right hand side of the bridge ; flood stage paddling if that's your thing it's in!

Dufay and I are heading to silly stilly.

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 3:35pm
Might be able to catch pilchuck on the downswings tommorow. If not, the stilly should be good to go. Who's available?

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2014 at 6:08pm
Pilchuck might be good this weekend

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2014 at 7:47pm
Very well could be a Pilchuck weekend. If anyone gets out there, please take a pic of the takeout gague rock for me and note the flow at the time. I'm compiling a bunch of pics of different flows to put together a visual gague.

Posted By: JayB
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2014 at 4:10pm
Great idea Joe - thanks for putting that together. Looking forward to seeing the final product.

-------------
-Jay

Posted By: Jason Orange
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2014 at 9:00am
It's in this morning! I'll post pictures of gauge rock later today.

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2014 at 11:43am

High water over the weekend has changed a few things on Pilchuck Creek.

UPPER:

- The rapid on the first major left hand bend that had wood is now clean. The wood shifted parallel to flow on river right leaving plenty of room to run left or eddy hop down the right.

-There is a new river wide tree about 100 yards below the above mentioned rapid. It’s not in a rapid and I was able to sneak far left at 4.2 Ft without getting out of my boat. This one will be there for a while.

-The river wide log between the bridge and falls also shifted parallel to the flow on river right.  

MIDDLE:

-This one is tough to describe because I don't know what people call the rapid. It's the only bigger rapid not in one of the canyons on the middle. It previously had two dead pines sticking out over it sort of like field goals. Most of the runout piles up on a boulder in the center right. Anyway, this rapid now has a riverwide log across the top and a very large tree has fallen in below the river wide log sticking into the rapid from river left. The rapid has a line open if you limbo the riverwide and then move right. At higher flows you may not be able to limbo the riverwide and it would be just below the surface of the water. This one is worth a look.

It's also worth mentioning the bridge construction affect on access. They were running loads of cement through the road that is our typical takeout (where the loader is usually parked). I talked to someone and he recommended that boaters park in the huge gravel lot just before the bridge if you are coming from Arlington. This is a staging area for their trucks and if we park on the very edge of the lot out of the way they don't mind if we park there. Of course, this is if you are boating on weekdays; weekends we can use the old spot.

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2014 at 12:44pm
thanks for the update.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2014 at 11:53am
I am bumping this thread to the top because the Pilchuck is running today (this morning anyway) and in all likelyhood will run again this week. It will definitely be on the higher side of good later in the week based on the forecast.

I can maybe do tomorrow or Thursday if anyone is interested.

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2014 at 11:55am
Maybe a moderator can bring the thread title into 2014 for us. Lots of good info in here!

Posted By: smcboating
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2014 at 5:36pm
Ran the Middle Pilchuck today with my girlfriend. We had never done that stretch before and thought it was awesome. Looking at the graph probably in there between 1200-1100. Every thing went but there was a lot of wood around and much of it seems like it could shift pretty easily. On the Middle Pilchuck page the most recent hazard info describes a river wide log that was kayaked over. I think that log has broken off and left a wide center channel. One of the bigger rapids at the end has had trees fall into the river from both sides and has log spanning the river. The rapid is steeper and I could see the potential for other pieces of wood hanging up there. It went fine down the center moving right but probably deserves a scout on river left. Also there is some wood caught up on river right, around the corner from the falls. Its easy to avoid in your boat but a swim at the falls it might come into play. Can be seen from the portage trail next to the falls river right. Really fun class 3+ stretch

-------------
If 6 Was 9

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 5:03am
Originally posted by jonlcrain

Maybe a moderator can bring the thread title into 2014 for us. Lots of good info in here!

Bam!
Ask n ye shall recieve. Done.

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Posted By: wolovekg
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 7:11pm
im going to write a lot.

joeskayak, i posted a picture of the rock on the facebook Seattle whitewater page. I can send you a copy if that's better. Stick was at 4.2' when we got to the bottom. The picture was taken before we put on so put an asterix next to it and imagine a little more rock showing. I'm calling today the medium side of medium. The flow for the picture is about 1800-2000 and I'll type a big paragraph out to tell you why.

I haven't seen anyone mention the gage lag and maybe its a no brainer for those familiar with this drainage. We put on at noon today and the gage recorded ~2800 when we checked once we got off. The group consensus was there was no more than 2000. The gage is about 4-5 miles downstream of the takeout, about 14 miles total from the put-in for the upper, probably more if I took pride if my google earthing. If you were to do some math with water velocity and stuff you might deduce that it takes about 6 hours for the water to make its way from the top to bottom, though I'm not out there with leaves and a stopwatch. Anyways, the point I'm making, and I haven't seen made, is that when you use the gage you need to extrapolate your hydrograph slope out 6+ hours to approximate how fat and juicy your pilchuck will be in real-time when you put on.

Today it looked like it was falling at about 150 cfs / hr max. With 6 hours travel time that puts our 2800 gage flow down to 2200. I have no idea how fast the water is traveling down near the confluence so I'm probably being pretty conservative, putting us even closer to the eye-balled 2000 number. Of course all bets go out the window when creek suddenly plateaus and you don't know until the DOE updates 3 hours later. Right now the gage reads about 2050 cfs for 5:00pm. This means that 2050 happened around around 11am. Sounds about right. One more less relevant point of comparison, the north fork stilly gage plateaued at about 9 am this morning, the pilchuck at  5am (gage says 11). Just thinking about other ways to see the plateau while waiting for a gage update. Be interesting to go back and compare over a few water years.

Finally..! To those I hear that stuck a raft in a tree on the upper, it's no where to be seen. No new wood in play. Great day.

-------------
Greg

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 7:39pm
Thanks for the update Greg. It sounds fairly good. I was wishing my neck was better and could have been out with y'all. But atleast Jake made it out and gave us a report. Jake really enjoyed the level

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 7:47pm
Thanks for the great update! Yeah the Pilchuck is a tricky one... and it must be dropping fast because 4.2 on the stick usually relates to a flow in the teens, not over  2k. And I got the pic... thanks!

Posted By: TomMarley
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 11:37am
Originally posted by wolovekg

To those I hear that stuck a raft in a tree on the upper, it's no where to be seen.

The raft was recovered on Saturday afternoon during a 3-hour window when the creek dropped below 1000cfs. It was even mostly in tact. The only damage was apparently from someone's failed attempt to pull it free (a thwart was torn off by an unknown assailant and attached to a rope).

PS - Not my raft, nor was I on the trip, but everyone was OK, and all gear was (eventually) recovered.

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 10:56pm
First draft of the rock gage photo guide is up....

http://professorpaddle.com/media/photoview.asp?File_Id=7955

http://professorpaddle.com/media/photoview.asp?File_Id=7955">

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 10:56am
4.8 ft on the stick right now. Me and Jed gonna go put on for a high water middle run. Still raining pretty steady here.

edit : The gate to the middle was locked today. We went to the upper put in and it was obvious the creek was not rising. Ended up doing a top to bottom. 4.8 ft falling to 4.6 ft while we were on the water. We saw cars but no other boaters on the creek. Perfect medium flow IMO.

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 10:59am
Also thanks to who ever cut the logs out from the river right side of the takeout bridge. I would like to purchase you a malted beverage, sirs or
Ma'am.

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 1:07pm
Yes that was a very annoying tree. I cut it out with my folding saw while others ran the shuttle. Thanks

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 9:56am
It's still in at a low level today. 1pm meetup for a quick run?

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 7:43pm
Hey, nice work on this thread guys, sharing your observations, ect. Being a low elevation run that drops out as quickly as it spikes, sharing info this way makes it much more likely to catch this creek in a timely manner during these storm cycles.

I'm pretty stoked to see Pilchuck Creek getting boated as frequently as it has been these days. Now we just need to statt gettin a little spicier at that waterfall- there's multiple lines beyond the standard line...

Each common run pretty much deserves its own semi-sticky thread.
I'm gonna revive a Top Tye thread to dial in the beta for that run since I been boating it lately...

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 11:02am
Originally posted by jP

I'm pretty stoked to see Pilchuck Creek getting boated as frequently as it has been these days. Now we just need to statt gettin a little spicier at that waterfall- there's multiple lines beyond the standard line...

I went back out yesterday and paddled the upper then hiked to the gate (locked) and rode my bike back to my truck. Pretty low but it was sunny and bluebird. Pilchuck is a gem.

The standard line on the waterfall is a real boat abuser. The best line (in my opinion) when the water is lower is on the right side of the big rock column that divides the waterfall into its runnable and unrunnable portions.  Driving right away from that pillar with a lefty is the most bang for your buck.  When the water gets higher and its too scary to get close to that pillar the standard line is usually very fluffy and deep. my two cents... 

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by jonlcrain

Originally posted by jP

I went back out yesterday and paddled the upper then hiked to the gate (locked) and rode my bike back to my truck. Pretty low but it was sunny and bluebird. Pilchuck is a gem.

The standard line on the waterfall is a real boat abuser. The best line (in my opinion) when the water is lower is on the right side of the big rock column that divides the waterfall into its runnable and unrunnable portions.  Driving right away from that pillar with a lefty is the most bang for your buck.  When the water gets higher and its too scary to get close to that pillar the standard line is usually very fluffy and deep. my two cents... 

Quite true... the waterfall is a boat beater and is especially hard on inflatables. I've seen 3 IKs get torn up bad there (including my own). Even when the main line looks like it has a good amount of water to pad it out, it can still get ya. At low water I've started portaging down the far right side or just doing a "throw and go". Be warned if you do so, there are some ledges sticking out at the base just below water level... or you can just run the far left side .... I saw Fish run that side in an IK back in the day at low water and stick it like it was no big deal.. but I have yet to try it.

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2014 at 8:31pm
There's some juice in the Pilchuck... Anyone else keepin' an eye on the gague for Sunday?

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 7:30am
eh, looks like its dropped out a bit. Maybe we'll get lucky and it will bump up for the afternoon again.

Edit: It's low but runnable so if anyone is going post here and I'll probably go anyway since I'm so close.

Edit #2: It definitely going to come up for this afternoon. Anyone want to meetup and run the Pilchuck today?

Posted By: CO_Patrick
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 9:51am
Jon, you looking at the Upper and Middle, or just Upper?

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 10:03am
I'll was looking to do both. If you are interested in the middle only I will run the upper by myself and meet you at the bridge. 

Posted By: CO_Patrick
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 10:15am
Nah, upper is more fun than the middle. I was just trying to find out so I can talk myself into going all the way up there today. Any idea on flows? Only time I've paddled it, the stick gauge was at 4.15.

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 10:18am
its coming up and will be better the later we put on. Let's do a top to bottom run! Meetup at take out at 1pm?

Posted By: jfer202
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 9:02pm
Pilchuck is coming up, planning an early afternoon run on the upper as long as it doesn't blow out. Shoot me a text if you're interested. 360-913-4997

-------------
Jake
360-913-4997

Date Posted: 09 May 2014 at 8:43am
Anyone up for afternoon Pilchuck run? I can be there by 1:45 or so. Should be a good level with some nice sunshine.

Date Posted: 09 May 2014 at 9:04am
if it drops down i would go.   

-------------

Posted By: PowWrangler
Date Posted: 09 May 2014 at 11:04am
I'll be down if it's still in tomorrow morning.

Posted By: Coast2Coast
Date Posted: 09 May 2014 at 11:44am
+1 for tomorrow morning

Date Posted: 09 May 2014 at 12:42pm
anyone want to run the stillaguamish today instead?

-------------

Date Posted: 09 May 2014 at 12:47pm
Should be a great juicy level for the after work crowd today. There will be a few of us meeting at the take out around 430 or 5pm.

Date Posted: 09 May 2014 at 9:23pm
what time do you guys want to meet tommorow?

and for the people that went today,  whats the wood situaution?

-------------

Posted By: jondufay
Date Posted: 09 May 2014 at 9:54pm
A few logs that you could go under. Seemed clean.

-------------
ahh, f--- it dude, lets go boating...

Date Posted: 10 May 2014 at 9:02am
Anyone going out there today?

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 8:13am
She's a runnin'!

I can't make it out today... but if anyone's looking to hit something good today... get it while it's up. It won't last long.

Posted By: jfer202
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 10:12pm
Looks like there is a decent chance it will be in tomorrow morning, anybody headed up that way?

-------------
Jake
360-913-4997

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 4:09pm
The area around Pilchuck Creek Campground has been effectively closed to the public. This happened after two accidents at the falls this summer involving two deaths and several serious injuries. The people who own the property around the falls either also own the road to the campground, or it has been closed with the road owners blessing so it appears there is no longer legal access to the falls scout or the putin for the middle section. The property has been posted no trespassing, and the police have been asked to enforce it. Until this gets settled boaters should either run the upper with the middle run or find legal access elsewhere. I am still trying to research the issue to find the full extent of the closure.

There may be a legal way to get in there by hiking in off a trail that runs along the creek. It starts across the road from the south entrance to Walker Valley ORV Park and at one time ended just upstream of the campground. It has been years since I have been on this trail and I never went to the end of it so I don't know if this is still accurate.

Kyle

-------------
I smell bacon

Posted By: Jed Hawkes
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 4:51pm
Thanks for the beta Wiggins, I tried driving down there last winter and the gate was closed so it's likely this is a longer standing issue.

-------------
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 5:19pm
The gate closure is old news, but you were still allowed to hike in to scout the falls or walk to the putin. What has changed is that now it is closed to the public, so you are not allowed to walk in anymore.

This is not an issue for anyone running the upper/middle combo.

Kyle

-------------
I smell bacon

Posted By: Slackkinhard
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 5:50pm
interesting...I've often ridden my dirt bike over to check the falls.

are there ever issues with boaters at the falls?  Those deaths had nothing to do with boaters, it was hikers climbing at night if I remember right, and an SAR guy fell trying to reach them.

bummer

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 6:33pm
I am not aware of any issues with boaters. I am hopeful that will lead to us getting an agreement for access like we have at the Green.

Kyle

-------------
I smell bacon

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 9:03am
4.1567896543 on the takeout stick at 9am

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 9:59am

Would be a nice sporty level today on Pilchuck.

I should not have looked; work day now creeping slower than usual.

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 6:11am
Anyone in the area able do a drive by and visual level check

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2014 at 5:18am
Anyone want to join in @9am

Posted By: flowtorch
Date Posted: 25 Dec 2014 at 8:30am
Leavin my number here since I don't check this place too frequently, And miss out. But I live close enough to get visuals. Two1seven 82one 51fourfive.

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2015 at 8:44am
Anyone want to run Pilchuck today?

Posted By: Nick
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2015 at 9:18am
We're heading there ! Should be there around 10:15. 425 359 8469

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2015 at 9:30am
Word!

Print Page | Close Window