Forum Name: Whitewater Forum
Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13363
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 6:08pm

Topic: Rafting this Weekend BC/Oregon
Posted By: throwrope
Subject: Rafting this Weekend BC/Oregon
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 2:01pm
I have some frineds coming into town that want to go rafting. Being that everything is essentially done here are there any good BC/Oregon options within 4-5 hours of Seattle? Either overnight stretch of river or a day trip with camping nearby woudl be great.
Thanks!

Replies:
Posted By: jP
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 5:09pm
I take it you are inquiring about commercial trips? Or do they have their own gear?

Are they looking for standard class III, or some sort of class V thrill? There is always the White Salmon...

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 6:15pm
We have all of our own gear so it will be a private trip. How are glows on white salmon for rafting?

Posted By: briandunnington
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 11:24am
Just took the family rafting (commercial trip) on the White Salmon this past Saturday (27th) and the flows were fine for rafting. We put in above Triple Drop (a couple of miles above the public put-in in BZ Corner) and took out in Husum. I think the Husum gauge was reading just below 2 and we didnt have any trouble with the flows.

Posted By: jP
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 9:45pm
Yeah- your average White Salmon guide worth his or her salt has no problem with the low water lines all the way as low as 1.5 or 1.25'.

Not being as familiar with the run, you may get hung up a bit. There are several spots where the prefered move is to angle away from where you are trying to go and back paddle your crew to tuck your stern into a micro eddy, then reach into that eddy and stern draw the ass end of your boat laterally. Works pretty good and I can think of at least four places where that is commonly done:
-the entrace to Undercut Cave
-the entrance to Boulder Garden
-the entance to Grasshopper
-the approach to Corkscrew

Anyway, still plenty fun to drop Hussum Falls all the way to 1' on the guage, just try to stay off that "boof flake" and gut the maw a bit more as it gets low. Practice the "get down" drill with your crew. Its the only drop I ever ran where the guide absolutely must hang on in order to stay in the boat. You can always spot the "out of town" rafters when they run Hussum because they don't put as much prep time into making sure their crews practice the "get down".

There's some advice from a former White Salmon guide, yours to do with what you wish.

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 9:53pm
Thanks for the help! Great to know that is an option. I have wanted to get down there for awhile now.

Print Page | Close Window