Whitewater Forum: how about the Puyallup? (I-II+)
Print Page | Close Window

how about the Puyallup? (I-II+)

Printed From: ProfessorPaddle.com
Category: General
Forum Name: Whitewater Forum
Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13353
Printed Date: 20 Apr 2024 at 6:08am

Topic: how about the Puyallup? (I-II+)
Posted By: jP
Subject: how about the Puyallup? (I-II+)
Date Posted: 25 Jul 2013 at 10:56am
Just looking for some convienient class I-II+ to paddle somewhere in the greater Pugetopolis zone...

Powerhouse access is fubar'd, and the Green is dry...
How about the Puyallup??

The McMillin to Puyallup stretch boasts some flow in the green zone. I'm not expecting more than class I out of this urbanized stretch, but what else can you tell me about it? Never done it and want to check it out on my way to the Tacoma Zone.

Anyone got any beta for me? Thad?

I'm kind of wary because the guage says 2600 is green n good to go, but the Kapowsin stretch has recommended flows of 3000-6000 and is in the yellow bone zone. I have a feeling I'm setting myself up to get skunked by some scrapy ass shallow gravel bars.

Anyone have knowledge of either run who'd be willing to talk some sense into me?

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Replies:
Posted By: Brmarkey
Date Posted: 25 Jul 2013 at 11:32am
I ran it last fall at a lower lower level than that and it was ok. It was nothing all that exciting, but if you just want to be in the boat why not. I wouldn't mind trying the sect above that from, I think the Orvil road Bridge to Mcmillin. Or even the Carbon from 177th to Orting.

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2013 at 5:32pm
Yup, I figured about as much, I'm just passin through there and wanted to find something...

Thanks guys.

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2013 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by slickhorn

setting safety under I-5 sounds fun lol

Since presumably no real need to set safety could exist, I assume you are refering to our newly legalized form of said safety. Well, nothing so legal that a few raids can't straighten out, apparently.

Anywho, it turns out that our good 'ol reliable fluid friend the Skykomish easily met our class II needs this morning. Specificly the South fork from the Bridge below the Beckler confluence down to Money creek. Sure, there were perhaps a total of four brief scrapey moments, but nothing too offensive. At approximately 500 cfs or so, My companion and I found a delightful experience full of wonder and beauty. Not to mention a surprisingly steep and class III-ish wavetrain right above Money Creek C.G. This was my third time through this stretch, though its been years since I last paddled it.

Anyway, that stretch oughtta be good enough for another week.

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2013 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by slickhorn

Low gradient wide rivers gonna be bone zone bro....

Slick, if I didn't know better I'd swear you were out-jP'ing me with quite the jP-like comment.

"Impressive" as Darth Vader would say inbetween hits off of his inhaler. (While sitting in his open canoe under the I-5 bridge spanning the Nisqually)

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Posted By: briandunnington
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2013 at 10:31pm
That section of the SF Skykomish is a fun (but short) little run when you need a good class II fix. That last wave train is fun, and if you don't mind riding on Hwy 2, it is a short and easy bike shuttle.

Print Page | Close Window