Ideas / Issues / Problems / Fixes / Updates: iCicLe level adjustment
Print Page | Close Window

iCicLe level adjustment

Printed From: ProfessorPaddle.com
Category: Site Support
Forum Name: Ideas / Issues / Problems / Fixes / Updates
Forum Discription: Find something broken, Have an Idea, Find something new!
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13006
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 9:58am

Topic: iCicLe level adjustment
Posted By: snowblind
Subject: iCicLe level adjustment
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 10:52am
So I see the ICICLE is posting up a number that is extrapolated from some equation derived from Wenatchee drainage flows.   Why not just use the DOE guage:
https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/wrx/wrx/flows/station.asp?sta=45B070#block2 - https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/wrx/wrx/flows/station.asp?sta=45B070#block2

It is a far more accurate represenation of actual flow in drainage, so if possible can it replace the other number?  

Also, just hoping to switch the Wenatchee # from Plain to Pesh, which is what most people like to see anyway as they are usually headed to play, not tum. 

Thanks a bunch for your consideration in this matter and for your effort on our behalf.  We the paddlers are indebted to you.

Replies:
Posted By: Jed Hawkes
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 11:44am
On the Rivers Page the Wenatchee Leavenworthless to Cashmere pulls it's level from the Wenatchee @ Peshastin , the Tumwater section pulls it's level from the Wenatchee @ Plain.

I think that changing the Icicle is a good idea, but something to consider is that historically people use the virtual gauge to determine levels, so changing it could result in some confusion. Additionally We can't make a DOE gauge display on the front page or the rivers page because of the way the site is set up.

I will put a link to the DOE gauge on all the associated Icicle pages to peoples reference.

-------------
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723

Posted By: James
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 5:04pm
I am working on pulling the values from DOE so that might be an option soon.

Posted By: jP
Date Posted: 02 May 2013 at 3:49pm
Oops! I totally missed this topic because I didn't look over here for it.
Yeah, I do agree that the "Broken" value listed on the rivers page is messed up. We should probably pull it down.

For now I think the DOE link and perhaps an explanation of the virtual formula (Peshastin minus Plain, multipled by .75) on the rivers pages for Icicle is a decent solution.

As far as the Peshastin guage, it cracks me up that all the playboaters use it. Isn't it located upstream of Peshastin creek? Acvording to Gary Planigan, Bavarian Raft Company Tycoon, the Monitor guage is really where its at if you want to really know how much is pumping through Rodeo Hole. I agree. No, Mission Creek shouldn't throw that off.

Speaking of Peshastin Creek, how is one to get an idea what its doing if the Peshastin guage is upstream?

Then you got peeps going off of Peshastin for Tumwater flows, and that just doesn't make Plain sense.

Ok, enough ragging on the Peshastin guage. Poor 'lil guy at least gives us a consistent number. And, it DOES have the forcast graph. So for that it is emensely helpful when trying to read the tea leaves regarding one's whitewater destiny. Peope talk smack about the forecast graphs, but if one understands it is a dynamic graph, and they follow other weather forecasts regionally, it is actually pretty informative. But that's a whole other topic...

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Print Page | Close Window