Whitewater Forum: stash break-down paddle?
Print Page | Close Window

stash break-down paddle?

Printed From: ProfessorPaddle.com
Category: General
Forum Name: Whitewater Forum
Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12855
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 2:12am

Topic: stash break-down paddle?
Posted By: mokelumnekid
Subject: stash break-down paddle?
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 5:29pm
Hey folks:

I'm guessing I'll get some good ideas here- how do you all store your break-down paddle? I suppose one way is simply to toss the parts in a mesh bag and jam them under the float bags, but is there a more clever way?

Replies:
Posted By: Ellingferd
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 5:53pm
http://whitewaterfreestyle.com/how-to-pack-a-breakdown-paddle-in-your-kayak/

Posted By: fiddleyak
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 9:03pm
Over the years the blunt ends of the paddle will get damaged if they scrape around unprotected in the boat. Hairline cracks can form along the length of the shaft; my first breakdown immediately broke the first time it was used because of this.
I'm not sure how much a mesh bag will solve this. At the minimum tape over the ends. Also worth considering is the likelihood of the mesh bag being ripped out of the boat if it takes a big trashing.
I keep my spare paddle inside of my stow floats binered to the boat. Considering the cost of a high quality breakdown paddle I think it's worth it.

Posted By: chipmaney
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 5:53am
i agree a mesh bag will not necessarily stay in the boat. i sort of like his idea of taping foam so the bag will float instead of sink. but that's more weight. seems like ensuring the paddle doesn't come out of the boat in the first place would be a better way to go.

-------------
sitting all alone on a mountain by a river that has no end

Posted By: H2Ohta
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 7:25am
They are best stored inside of storage floats or a dry bag. I had them split blade and half shaft on each side of the rear in storage floats binered to the boat also. Schertzl also gave a great tip for preserving the ends shafts with old bicycle inner tubes. Take an old inner tube and cut into lengths long enough to slide over each end of the shafts pieces. This along with storing it inside of a storage float or dry bag will preserve the shaft ends of your paddle. The last time you want to find out that your breakdown paddle is damaged is when you need it...

-------------
H2Ohta

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 10:47am
I have also seen some folks drill out their rear pillar for the shaft pieces to fit in lengthwise, and then strapping the blades to the sides of the pillar. Might affect the integrity of the pillar some, but the blades being vertical with the pillar might address that. Seems like a lot more work though, and could be sketchy. I think the best solution is to protect the shaft ends and then attach one blade to one shaft with some 8mm cord (drill small hole in the blade) and then strap them to the rear pillar. Keeps them out of the way for packing the boat or float bags as well as making sure they do not roll around creating wear and tear.

Posted By: Jed Hawkes
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 11:17am
Ellingferd is refering to this link maybe, seems like a pretty good way to do it.

http://hjortmediablog.wordpress.com/2011/12/09/split-paddles-2/

-------------
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723

Posted By: Kyle K
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 12:51pm
The Kiwis (big chargers) I work with in the summers use the method in the video Jed references above. Takes some work but it's really slick. Your dry/float bags keep them in place, as well as the way they are seated in the pillar.

-------------
"I used to be somebody, now I'm somebody else." Bad Blake                  

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 6:36pm
Does anyone have any idea how you would hollow out a hole for the shafts?

Posted By: mokelumnekid
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 8:37pm
Hah, hah, I've seen that vid, it is so effin' SWISS, but clever to the max. My plan now is to get some dry/float bags, cover the paddle edges and stash 'em that way. All input much appreciated!

Posted By: Dale
Date Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 9:08am
Drilling holes in minicel is ridiculously easy. In this case, a piece of broken paddle shaft would make it easier, but any piece of pipe the size of your paddle shaft of slightly smaller should do just fine. Push and twist and you'll punch through pretty quick and easy.

Print Page | Close Window