Forum Name: Whitewater Forum
Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12732
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 3:07pm

Topic: Green Overnighter
Posted By: James
Subject: Green Overnighter
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2012 at 1:15pm
I am going to plan an Overnighter on the Green in either Dec. or Jan. Not sure which yet.

The scoop is going to be fishing. Dec, seems to produce the best numbers of Steelhead so that will probably be the target. I am looking for flows between 800cfs to 1800cfs but would prefer the 1000 to 1200 level for navigation / water visibility for fishing.

How this has worked in the past. A few people are always keen to fish more than others. So if you are kayaking and want to fish, do it, and when you are done split down river to the campsite. If you want to take it slow, no problem fish your speed. We will camp at either the Hanging Gardens Wall or above paradise at one of the beaches. There is a great run for swingin just below and above hanging gardens which is nice. Regardless a fire is for sure and of course a potluck style dinner if folks are keen on that which has worked out well in the past.

Next morning we will fish and bump on down river to the Whitney Bridge where we will take out.

Let me know if you are interested.

Replies:
Posted By: PaddleGirl
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2012 at 1:22pm
James, where is hanging gardens wall? above/below paradise?  and where is the whitney bridge? 

I'm down for a green overnighter in Dec or early Jan, but i won't be fishing.

Posted By: Yotes
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2012 at 1:36pm
I'm definitely interested.  Early January would be best for me.

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2012 at 2:00pm
Hanging Gardens is a King County park below paradise and a few river bends after Shangri La. Here is a link to the Google map of the park.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Hanging+Gardens+park+WA&hl=en&ll=47.290333,-121.972323&spn=0.003695,0.00486&client=firefox-a&hnear=Hanging+Gardens+Park+Acrd,+Black+Diamond,+King,+Washington+98010&t=h&z=18 - https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Hanging+Gardens+park+WA&hl=en&ll=47.290333,-121.972323&spn=0.003695,0.00486&client=firefox-a&hnear=Hanging+Gardens+Park+Acrd,+Black+Diamond,+King,+Washington+98010&t=h&z=18

We have done this twice now and it has been fun both times although less quality fishing last year because we went later in Jan which is a bit late for the steelhead run in my opinion.

The fire at night is a must because it is pretty cold camping. A good quality sleeping bag is a must and enough wood to warm up in the AM too.

Oh and Whitney Bridge is just below Flaming Geyser. I like to take out there because they have a ramp which is nice to hoist the Raft out of the water and you don't have to carry the whole overnight rig across muddy grass.

Posted By: dave
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2012 at 6:53pm
I think Blair is coming too, he said something about bringing hand sanitizer...

-------------
Nomad

Posted By: commander fun
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 10:49am
if anyone has extra room on their raft, i would really like to go. 

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 12:12pm
So my raft is now full, (sorry) got the confirmation this morning. I figure Brian is taking either his Cat or a raft or IK, all of which would allow him to paddle another person down so Commander I would ask mr. Slickhorn for a ride in the back of the stilleto!

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 12:52pm

when i read that, all i can think of is two dudes cruising the river in a giant ladies shoe.

have we thought about dates yet?

Posted By: commander fun
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 1:35pm
Slickhorn-I have only been down the gorge twice and I dont trust myself enough to take my boat down.

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2012 at 4:21pm
Have u decided a day yet? My calendar is quickly filling up up up.

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 17 Dec 2012 at 10:46am
No date picked out just yet. Glad we did not go this weekend... we would have been blow n away!!!.

I am thinking one of these weekends. We would rather have it cold and dry then wet and cold.

Jan 5-6
Jan 12-13
Jan 19-20

Date Posted: 17 Dec 2012 at 11:18am
Yea I saw your truck down at FG. I was there for an hour or two late afternoon fishin.

Date Posted: 17 Dec 2012 at 1:35pm
Jan 5-6 is the only one i can make.  and it's my birthday!!!

I'll be either in Ecuador or on my way there for the other dates.

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 10:03am
I am booked until late January...work work work...get to travel to Cali though and it should be warm there...

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 9:38pm
I will be in Cali, so not going to make it...

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2013 at 8:35am
It is not going to happen this weekend. The flows are going to be way to low. They might bump a bit since rain is forcasted but I doubt it will be enough.

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2013 at 2:33pm
This weekend might be the one, if it gets into that 1k zone then starts dropping it should be idea flows for the raft, and water clarity for fishing! Well have to wait and see.

Print Page | Close Window