Forum Name: Whitewater Forum
Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12267
Printed Date: 25 Apr 2024 at 4:00pm

Topic: Cooper River
Posted By: KBfree
Subject: Cooper River
Date Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 8:44am

It looks like it's time to hit up the Cooper River.  If flows are coresponding to the Cle Elum, then its at a perfect level. 

Ran this last year at 1500 and was thinking it would be better with more water in it.  So here it is at 1800. 
Sunday???

Kirk

-------------
Kirk B

Replies:
Posted By: dave
Date Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 9:14am
From what I hear, it is big and fluffy at these levels, I have never run it higher than 1,200cfs. I like it low in there as I am a scaredy cat...

-------------
Nomad

Posted By: up4air
Date Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 1:16pm
At 1400 you don't even notice that 'butt buster boof' rock. However. I found the run was much more enjoyable at 700 and did laps, even if the top of the first big slide was kind of bare. I think up to a grand would be good levels.

-------------
More water, please.

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 6:19pm

Ok...keep me posted when we should head out there.  It was a blast last year for 2-3 weekends. 

KIrk

-------------
Kirk B

Posted By: brig
Date Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 7:37pm
It was 1,600 my first time and I loved it. The hole at the first slide gets sticky but the rest is nice.

-------------
Chris B.

Posted By: jP
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 12:10am
I think 1400-1600 is the basic medium zone. 1800 can be powerful. It goes fine but that S-Turn rapid and Norm's can kick some plastic ass.

700? Thats absurd. A matter of preference, but absurd none the less. Stick to the nice medium flows and paddle your boat on some water. 1200 is still fun.

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 9:02am
Looks like it's going back up a bit. 
Maybe next weekend!!!

-------------
Kirk B

Posted By: AMcEwan
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 10:32am
Kirk-

If you're still interested in doing this today, I'd be down for this afternoon.
I'm heading over that way from Seattle around noon.
A little extra water should be ok.
Give me a call.

Andrew
415 290 6860

Posted By: James
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 8:47am
Dang ... this puppy is just cranking late this year.

Hopefully it will start to drop ... I am looking to get in there in the 2k range to get my whistle wet and hopefully pound out a few of these bad boys! http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/washington/239/ - http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/washington/239/

Last year I caught a couple in the pools between norms and sturn. Hard to believe those suckers didn't die as they slid down the falls ...

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 7:48am
I am looking at a trip out too the coop this weekend. I need to see a 1800 - 2200 figure before I start to solidify plans.

Anyone interested?

Posted By: jondufay
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 8:32am

James, I want to go.  Time for a 1 and 3 reunion....We can get ribs from Rhodies, like the last time we went out there and I got stuck under a log and lost my shorts when you and shertl pulled me out (many many many years ago...think kix era)

-------------
ahh, f--- it dude, lets go boating...

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 8:36am
I prefer not to think about that boat... but if I must I do recall that trip... the nail in the coffin.

Is schurdy going? I am thinking about heading out tonight, boating friday and sat early morn. I have to be back over here by 4-5pm on sat...

Posted By: Erik
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 9:36am
Good ol dayz. I remember the look on Doof's face when he was stuck under that log, and that 6 inches of water was rushing close to him :-)

Coop's been on my radar this year. Can't do it this weekend though, as I'm nursing an injury. Think about next weekend. Hopefully good flows hold. Bring bikes for dbl-shredding.

Word.

Posted By: JD_G
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 9:07pm
Boats are safer than bikes.  Where'd that injury come from?

Posted By: Erik
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 10:03pm
JD, you funny.

Bikes cause more injuries than boats, but I'm not sure boats are "safer". This injury was from biking. My last notable injury was from going upside-down (or "flipping over") on Clearwater...excuse me for "flipping" on a kayak run. Took me out for two months.

I'm having a bit of a boating mid-life-crisis if you will. And I know you will.

Posted By: JD_G
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2012 at 8:05am
You're right the safer is all relative.  Just seems that carnage is a given with bikes, whereas boating you can lull you're sense in to a false sense of security.  But if you're talking upside down on Clearwater, now that's scary.....especially somewhere like "Tonys Tumble".

Know that feeling of a boating mid-life-crisis very well.  Hell, I have a crisis everytime I get in the damn thing.  
Be good to get out Schertz......boating not biking.....once you're healed up.  Cooper could work next weekend, if the Clear Fork isn't in. 

Print Page | Close Window