Trip Discussion's: Winter Green OvrNtr Discussion Thread
Print Page | Close Window

Winter Green OvrNtr Discussion Thread

Printed From: ProfessorPaddle.com
Category: General
Forum Name: Trip Discussion's
Forum Discription: This forum is for discussing Trips which have been posted through the Trips Tool.
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11490
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 2:02am

Topic: Winter Green OvrNtr Discussion Thread
Posted By: James
Subject: Winter Green OvrNtr Discussion Thread
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 9:40am

Here is the scoop. We are all taking about it so it is time to bumper up and get it on the calendar or I will not get to go.

General Details
-Launch from where you want. Rafts will launch from Headworks. The campsite will be in the lower gorge. If you are in a kayak just make sure you are behind the rafts because we will establish camp so you can wander down at your leisure without worrying about passing it by.
-Raft Take out will be Whitney Bridge, others where you want.
-Dates - First Jan Weekend with water. (Depending on Flow - Minimum of 839cfs required)

• Jan 14/15
  • Jan 21/22
  • Jan 28/29
All Participants Must:
- Bring adequate shelter and all gear, for themselves
- Arrange stowage of food, beverages and gear on rafts prior to the day of launch. That means contact someone in a raft if you need your crap shlepped down the rio! *See #1 below*
- Absolutely MUST bring two bundles of wood. Were not talking about a chincy little Fagot, or a single piece of wood but bundles of firewood comparable to what one would see at Safeway.
- Food will be potluck style so plan accordingly. *See #2 below*
- If fishing you are responsible for your own adventure.

Further Trip Details:
- Two large tarps should be arranged for group shelter, along with the other obvious things, table, stove, lanterns, propane *See #3 below*
- The wood will be arranged on the rafts, However two large inner tubes will be provided. A full Bolt of wood will be bagged and sandwiched between these tubes. Whilst the raft must carry provisions, kayakers will be responsible to guide this free floating bolt of wood down the river.
- If you don't have dry bags prior to the adventure ask - Wet sleeping bags suck.

Below Stuff:
1 - A list of people going in rafts will be updated on this trip thread so you can contact rafters to beg for hauling help. Don't wait until the day of!!!
2 - A list of entrees will be updated on this trip thread so you can plan what to bring for food. Everyone must bring something to put on the table (period) not everyone needs to bring alot, history shows when we all chip in the food is plentiful.
3 - A list of things we need to bring will be updated on this trip thread so you can help out if possible.

Replies:
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 9:43am
Gear & Passenger Vessel Manifest
Raft - James -  Possibly one open seat.
Raft - JoesKayak - Contact Joe for stowage requests

Menu
Smoked BBQ Ribs - James

Gear & Equipment
Cooler for beverages - James
Cooler for food - Slickhorn
Camp Table - Joe
Propane Tank - James
BBQ Grill - James
Camp Stove - James
Lantern
Tarp 1 - Slickhorn
Tarp 2
Rope for Tarps css_styles/default_style.css - - Slickhorn

Posted By: dave
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 11:08am
Is this going to be like the Rogue river trip where you made all the food and did all the work??? That was an awsome trip!!! I can never repay you for all the great work and effort you put into that trip...I can hardly wait to see what you are going to cook for this trip!!!

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 11:42am
Just Ribs this time, but I do plan on making two kinds and more of that Habanero Pineapple, that was the BOMB!!! But if your not contributing your not going on this trip. Doesn't have to be big but it does have to bee... but you are always generous Davie so I don't think that will be an issue!

Posted By: jP
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 6:39pm
Dude, what if I bring a really huge fagot like the one the guy's carrying on the Led Zepplin IV album cover?

I'll probably just pack two bundles of wood in the raft or on the inner tube, and pack my own personal fagot in a drybag to use as fire starter.

What?

Footnote One: once upon a time music was recorded on large black discs with grooves in them called records.

Footnote Two:
fag·ot
- noun 1. bundle of sticks bound together and used as fuel

I can bring at least one tarp for the group. I'll get 95% of my own sh*t down the river in my own boat.

As far as herding the innertube w/ the bolt of wood down, well, suffice to say that thing oughtta be launched from Paradise. I volunteer to be the shepherd of that thing, but I will need two other boaters who can volunteer to help and be adept at helping. Mostly I will need help getting it down to the water and from there it should be easy enough.

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 6:41pm
I'll bring some other fire. Fireball, that is

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 6:51pm
Which reminds me of Coffee ('cuz it is common for me to bust out a little Fireball charged version of my very own signature jP cowboy java (TM).

Now PPeeps best be packing water for themselves, too. I can't guarantee I'll have enough of my gourmet cowboy coffee to go around- depends on how many attend the overnighter, and how quick on the draw you are in the morning when I make it. But if you pony up your own water, chances are I can hook you up.

If we can get a big 'ol jug in there, I'll pack in enough grounds.
Sidenote- French Presses are for bourgeoisie urbanistas. That's cool n all, but a bit overkill on the river when packing light is of concern.

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Posted By: JoesKayak
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 7:06pm
What a stupid idea.

I'm in.

Date Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 11:27am
What kinda craft are you going to be rollin in Joe? Also should I be packing my river poker set?

Date Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 8:44pm
We could sit in the river and play poker, like on the Rogue...

-------------
Nomad

Posted By: Tobin
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 11:13pm
Pretty sure we were playing cribbage in the river Dave -
SAY NO TO GRAPE DRINK!

-------------
Sure?

Date Posted: 17 Dec 2011 at 10:16am
I'll bring the raft. I'll bring my roll-a-table as well.

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2011 at 9:15am
Cheap Grape, born on the Green and then passage to the rogue... I don't know if it needs to come back... and I will watch you play in the river davie

Date Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 5:52pm
Not sure if I can make it yet, probably will have to wait until the last second and see.

-------------
Nomad

Posted By: nelsonwoods
Date Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 6:58pm
If I can get the rest of the gear I need...im in

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 7:31pm
Since the authorities have managed to block all access in there except for boaters, a groover wont be neccessary. Plus people rarley ever camp in there and all the rain should decomp anything we leave very quickly.

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 8:31am
I disagree. A single mushroom of TP is one to many. If it were a multi day trip groover would be a no question item, but for one night I can hold it, but if you or your friends can't better plan ahead because leaving crap behind is a no go.

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 11:06am
Wiping with leaves is always my choice. I would also like to point out that japanese knot weed has officially topped my list as the most invasive and useful species for wiping.... whilst cedar hazelnut leafs are my least favorite due to the little prickles on them.

I have plenty of Wag bags they will be for sale should anyone need them!

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 8:39pm
Poison Oak is always good for wiping...or just use your hands...Myself, I can hold it for two days no problem, unless I have an emergency. Good thing the Rogue had out houses here and there. Never had to use a wag bag yet.

The recomened way is to dig a 6 inch deep hole and bury the tp and everything. It will decomp very quickly in our climate. The drier climates is where you have a problem, or if there are a lot of people out there on a constant basis. The Green is not a place you need to worry about, since there are very few people that ever camp in there...

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 8:42pm
I just did an experiment in the woods behind James' house recently with some tp. It was completly gone in two weeks. I just left a few squares off the trail in the woods where I walk to see what would happen. It quickly decomped in the rainy woods.

-------------
Nomad

Posted By: Blair
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 1:49am
I may have to do this again. CHEAP GRAPE!

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 9:08am
Blair if you are going, there shall be no ruff housin allowed. Last time you baited me into getting frisky I got maced with a bottle of 409 and I hear that you broke a few of Davies ribs and split his head open. I mean cmon can't we play nicely .... HAHAHA

Brian another really great thing about Wag Bags is tossing them to a friend while they are still piping hot. It really only can happen once though, after that everyone is on the look out. Tobin got the only good toss in on the rogue this year, but boy was it a surprise !!!!

Now lets just hope for some rain!

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 1:06pm
Dave- deal with your sh*t
Blair- watch who you give sh*t to
James- you best not be slingin the sh*t

Tobin- well, you just always to be incapacitated

Slick, thanks for broaching such a sh*tty subject.
I take it for granted that paddling peeps aspire to the "Leave no trace" philosophy. The johnny-come-latelys of the sport ought to honor leave no trace practices: part of being an honorable river runner is treading lightly in the river corridor. It's not that hard.

I will pack in and pack out whatever I bring in there, but I'm in a kayak- so I can't pick up after anyone else. Y'nz gotta behave like big boys n girls. There's my daily preach'n.

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Posted By: franzhorner
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 4:59pm
I'm down for this trip if it isn't on the weekend of the 14th....I'll bring my raft.  If its on the weekend of the 14th though I will need my raft for a Skagit River Bald Eagle fundraising trip for the Wild and Scenic Instiute.

If any of you know people who want to see bald eagles and support a non profit getting disadvantaged kids on river trips, please send them my way.  the trip is planned for JAN 14.....

-------------
MORE RAIN PLEASE

Posted By: FLUID
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 4:24pm
im in !!!

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 5:30pm
Ok, I am in. By the way, Blair hit me in the eye with a paddle blade and I had damage to my eye for over 6 months, then he squirted James in the eye with hand sanitizer. You would think a nurse would know better...not supposed to hurt people, your supposed to heal them...

Also, I have only had to go #2 in the woods only a few times in the past 22 years of Whitewater kayaking and I always dug a hole and buried it when I had to. Othewise I hold it until an outhouse presents itself for use. Some of us lucky people can hold it for no problem for a few days at a time.

Funny thing, the enviromentilist recomend going below the tide line if you have an emergency while sea kayaking and the sea will process it no problem. Canada still dumps raw sewage in the sound and it causes no problems at all.

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 5:40pm
I can bring a pretty good sized tarp too, I think it is 20x20 green tarp.

-------------
Nomad

Posted By: Tobin
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 10:52pm
Tobin- well, you just always to be incapacitated

Fair enough - can we keep the Cheap Grape and Fireball to a minimum?
Jesus - my liver still hasn't recovered :P
If I am not working I am in - god help me I'll do it, but I call dibs on James sleeping pad!

-------------
Sure?

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 11:42pm
Tobin - also promise not to flip anyone over and hold there boat upside down to where bailing equals boat full of camping gear getting wet. I now have reoccurring PTSD of a Tobin figure flying thru the air from a raft onto my unsuspecting back, rendering me helpless. At least most of my gear was in dry bags. Speaking of wet gear, Shelby has access to dry bags if he goes again, right?

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 11:47pm
JP I'm lookin forward to some more of that Cowboy Coffee!
James - Did Dave tell you how he cried to his daddy that I cracked his head open ( his Doctor Daddy) and how he just laughed at him and sided with me. I haven't even met the guy and he already takes my side over his wittle baby boy.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 5:04am
Originally posted by dave

By the way, Blair hit me in the eye with a paddle blade and I had damage to my eye for over 6 months

Quit being so melodramatic. You can't expect to play hard without consequences.  What you can do is not cry over spilt milk. What's funny is how many injuries you've obtained in my presence and how you blame them all on me. So Dave, how did that story go of how you split your head open at my house...?

-------------

Posted By: septimus prime
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 9:15am
I can learn I swear. Regrouped on an overnighter on the Klickitat and had better success. Amazing what a .02 can do for your thinking compared to drinking myself blind on the upper gorge.
Alas, I will be in the Methow Valley on the 14th and wont get to join you this year.

me: Well, Im off to the Cheesecake Factory
my neglected family: But its Christmas!?
me:oh, merry Christmas (me closes door).

Name that movie.

-------------
Jon Shell Bee

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Blair

By the way, Blair hit me in the eye with a paddle blade and I had damage to my eye for over 6 months

Quit being so melodramatic. You can't expect to play hard without consequences.  What you can do is not cry over spilt milk. What's funny is how many injuries you've obtained in my presence and how you blame them all on me. So Dave, how did that story go of how you split your head open at my house...?

You were chasing me with a hot fire poker!

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 10:01am
This is like all the hyp before a heavy weight fight. Except its heavy weight drinking...

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 4:22pm

Originally posted by Blair

You were chasing me with a hot fire poker!

No Dave. No. That's your made up story. What reeaalllyy happened?

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Dec 2011 at 9:43am
Hot fire poker dummy.

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 25 Dec 2011 at 3:26pm
Do we need to take this outside (the thread) Davey?

-------------

Posted By: GHannam
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 8:29am
This sounds fantastic! If it's the third or fourth weekend of January, I can definitely go! I've got plans the weekend of the 14th...

James-- can we get an update on the gear list? I have tarps and can get my hands on a lantern. What else is still needed?

Also, what's the logistics for packing/prepping gear for the rafts and getting our tents and community gear on? I'm more than happy to help launch and take-out.

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by slickhorn

i can speak from experience ... very few people dig 6" deep. even fewer people fill and hide the hole.

ive seen some high use rivers where groovers dont get used, and nothing is more gross that the 100'x150 open latrine that results. eewwwww.

no, the green doesnt get enough use to have that problem. but it takes almost no effort to pack it out. a wag bag and a jiff jar and youre golden.

nothing else so quickly distinguishes the knuckle draggers from the considerate....

now, RAIN GODf**kingDAMNIT SO I CAN GO f**king BOATING.

that is all.

You were saying?....

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2012 at 9:07am
Generally sounds like folks would prefer to do this on one of the last two weekends of the month rather than the 14th.

That is fine by me So if we do it on the 21st / 22nd we would get Gwendolyn, Franz, and Shelby. I am open to what ever works for the most people. Is anyone not able to make it that weekend instead of the 14th?

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2012 at 1:30pm
My schedule is suddenly dicey n uncertain. But from the current vantage point, I'd say later this month sounds good for me, too: after the 14th. For example, I couldn't make it this coming weekend.

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2012 at 6:05pm
Ya, later this month is better for me too. The 21/22 sounds great.

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2012 at 8:06pm
Later in the month is fine with me.. but if conditions are idea on 1/14 I may want to do an overnight trip there too. (not necessarily the Green)

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 3:47pm
Is there anyone else that is going to do some fishing on the trip or will I be the only one? Just curious.

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 5:10pm
I would like to... Prolly gonna wait till the week of to dial that in, or talk to you bout it sooner... Also gonna want to get an early start to set up camp n have time set aside to fish

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 5:11pm
Sweet. Just started a 3rd page to this thread.

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 8:54am
nkay, so far I think it might be just me n you on the poles, I know Slickhorn can make some mean talk about wanting to learn tenkara but I think it is all talk.

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 9:41am
Brian, I don't know if I would touch the green right now with a tenkara setup unless you buy several extra leader/lines and maybe a few spare rod tips. The biggest fish I have heard of people landing on a tenkara line is 20"-24" trout that are in the sub 5lbs range. The Green is teaming with Chum Salmon and Steelhead right now and you are more likely to hook into one of those than say a whitefish or resident trout. If you did you would be likely to either A snap your line or B break your rod tip. That tenkara style is sweet but best left to rivers and streams that don't see big sea-runs unless your packing spare parts that is.

I will stay in touch before the 14th. Maybe a trip both weekends is in order. I could easily be talked into hitting the sauk for an overnighter too, that hosting some nice metal heads right now too!

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 9:52am
A Sauk Sauna would be cool, and I agree with enough man power one could be stacked up pretty easily...

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 1:56pm
So this trip looks like it is going two ways for two different trips. Trip A looks like more of a fishing trip looking for ideal fishing flows and trip B looks like the overnight fun trip that most of the folks here are going for.

Trip A:
The fishing overnight trip is for sure going to be this weekend. The weather looks more or less dry and the dam operators are going to keep dropping the release and it looks like it will be around 900-1000 cfs which is an ideal level for fishing and camping. If your interested in camping and fishing call me. I am 100% going this weekend with my poles and gear. I don't think there will be alot of interest since the levels are less whitewater and more for fishing but it will be fun either way.

Trip B:
The whitewater trip looks like it will be either the weekend of the 21st of the weekend of the 28th. Since that is what this thread is about I am changing the dates. The weekend of the 21st looks promising because next week the the snow level is going to drop then get warm again with rain which would have the releases increase nicely for boating.

So if you want to get that fishing trip in Slick let me know because this weekend is going to be prime. It is not very often that this happens either. I know backpacking vs boating and fishing is a tough call but let me know.

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 5:28pm
Damn low water fishermen scum!!!!!

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 9:35am
David I am glad to see that your uplifting and unique post has found it's way to the this trip thread too, below is a fun little rhyme since you have free time.

That davie boy sure is humble and wise never quick to boast
Which might be why he concocted such an enlightening post
I could sit all day and read his quips that hold such value and merit
At times I wish he had a mega phone just to help him share it
He is so classy I told him there is no way he should drive a 53' truck
So just ignore his post, it makes him sound like a big dumb Fish

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 11:07am
Not sure how many are still interested in this trip, but this weekend I have new obligations that will prevent my attendance.

It could be a great flow for doing the overnighter though. If the temps do rise as predicted on Thurs they would increase the outflow significantly over the weekend providing very good levels. Just a heads up because this might be the best weekend!

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 9:47pm
Im out, im in survival mode and evacuating to family that has power, food, and heat. This storm has kicked my ass.

-------------
Nomad

Posted By: GHannam
Date Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 10:11am
Yep, I'm out for this weekend too... it's too cold for my blood!

Stay safe out there!

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 6:19pm
Damn. Sounds like I missed the overnighter (last weekend). It was cold, low water, and I figured I wait for this weekend. Doesn't sound like its happening.

Got some rain on snow tho- flows are gonna burst forth this weekend tho. Might be a better weekend to paddle stuff anyway...

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 7:43pm
Yeah, last weekend's overnighter was way fun... This weekend is not the one for a repeat though. Too hard to say what the water level will be.

Gotta keep in mind most of the good camps are underwater when the river is up.

Print Page | Close Window