Whitewater Forum: North Fork Snoqualime?
Print Page | Close Window

North Fork Snoqualime?

Printed From: ProfessorPaddle.com
Category: General
Forum Name: Whitewater Forum
Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11419
Printed Date: 20 May 2024 at 7:36pm

Topic: North Fork Snoqualime?
Posted By: Mr.Grinch
Subject: North Fork Snoqualime?
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 6:52pm
Who else has a four day weekend and is keen to jump on it when flows are optimum? I haven't paddled it, but in light of up coming access restrictions, this weekend could be a good time for a gathering?

Doesn't sound super hard, but sounds like the elusive will become even more so in a few weeks. Who's with me?

Replies:
Posted By: PaddleGirl
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 7:10pm
if you aren't talking about Ernie's, I would totally be into this.

Haven't done it either.

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 7:27pm
wait.....   i just read the access description... sounds like a lot of walking.  i'm kinda lazy.

Posted By: Jimmy
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 7:56pm

I've done it once a couple of years ago, if you do it on Saturday or Sunday I would be up for another run.

Jimmy

Posted By: Dale
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 9:50pm
I'm lazy too and old and fat and my boat weighs almost as much as PaddleGirl... but... I'd like to see this run before the new restrictions go into effect. Keep me posted.<rummages through junk trying to figure out a set of wheels that will fit in the back of a Mamba>

Posted By: BrianP
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 12:11am
I'll drag your boat...for enough beer. I'd be game to check it out.

Posted By: Butchv
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 8:16am
If it is Saturday or Sunday, I would be down as well. I have been meaning to check out this run but have not been able to yet.
Butch

Posted By: jP
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 8:31am
It was cool. I did it several years back. Yeah there' s a breif hike in/ out but its worth it to do something new. Don't miss your take out unless you want some of Ernie's, obviously. But there's a bridge so it shouldn't be tough.

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 9:24am
i don't mind the mile hike out... but 5 mile hike in? did i misread something?

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 9:33am
Whatchutalkingboutwillis?

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 9:38am
does someone have a pass?  i think i can handle 1/4 mi in and 1 mile out... but this girl doesn't have the energy for a 5 mile hike in.

Access

From downtown North Bend turn onto Ballarat Ave. The road twists and changes names a few times, but just stay on the main road. In a about 6 miles the road forks and the left fork goes up a hill... take the left fork (NF County Road). In 2.5 miles you'll arrive at the Spur 10 road gate. You'll need to park here unless you have a pass from Hancock Timber, and then you can go through the gate and park right at the river.

Putin Details

From Spur 10 gate, continue up NF County Road about 5 miles and cross the bridge over the river. The put-in at the bridge looks nice, but there is a big class 5+ rapid just downstream, so instead: After you cross the bridge turn right onto a gated road. Carry your boat about 1/4 mile to the first convenient spot to scramble down to the water. Be sure to put in below the class 5+... but do take a peek at it during your walk.

Takeout Details

The takeout will be at the Spur 10 road bridge. Take out at the bridge and then walk back to the gate (about 1 mile).

Posted By: meryl
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 9:53am
There is an intersection at the parking spot. The gate is on the spur road that leads to the takeout. You continue up the road by car to the put-in, on the main road.

Posted By: Jimmy
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 10:17am
When I did it we parked along the dirt road and stomped about 50 yards through the woods to put on below a waterfall.  Wasn't a bad put in.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 10:30am
well cool.  does anyone have a good feel for when this will be in?

Posted By: dave
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 10:40am
I would be in for a Saturday run. I have always wanted to check out this section.

-------------
Nomad

Posted By: Kiren
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 9:03pm
I'd be down to go too. I'll be in Seattle for the weekend so if anyone wants to carpool, hit me up.
five41fivefive49five24

Posted By: JoesKayak
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 10:33pm
This is closer to the old original put-in. Back until the early 80s there was a campground that was used for the put-in. "Wagner Bridge Campground" unfortunately it was closed long ago and has overgrown to the point you would never even know it's was there.

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 8:35am
It appears TODAY would be the day. I can't.

I think we're going to try to do a Friday run.

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 7:10pm
Hoping for tomorrow, too. How about a 10 or at latest 10:30 meet @ take-out? This is all considering that the flow doesn't drop too far below 1k.

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 7:13pm
10:30(Friday) at the takeout sounds good. We'll be there.

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 7:19pm
I'll be there.

Posted By: AdamS
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 8:46pm
I used to paddle...then I started law school. what was I thinking....

Posted By: Carter_M
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 7:44am
I used to paddle too... Then I had two kids! Betcha law school will be quicker than childhood!

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 7:47am
It's gettin kinda low, thoughts?

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 8:13am
Even if it keeps dropping at this rate it'll be above minimum, we're still gonna go there. Maybe if it's no fun we'll have time to go to the MM after.

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 8:27am
Gettin' picky on us?   

Yeah... we're still going.

Posted By: briandunnington
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 3:51pm

so how was it?

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 5:09pm
Nice easy class III run with plenty of surfing. I'd like to see it with more water.

The hike out wasn't bad at all.

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 7:00pm
The hike out wasn't bad because he got a ride!!!

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 7:03pm
Well... yeah...

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 7:13pm
For those of us that walked, it really isn't a bad hike out. If the water comes up again it would be well worth it to check it out before you have to pay. There's not a chance in hell that I'll pay $75 for the privilege to walk a mile and a half so I'm glad I got to see it.

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 7:39pm
If it was consistently runnable at decent flows during summer, I might pay. Fun run, glad I met up with you all. I agree, a little more water woulda been nice, but still exactly as billed: super fun easy class III run.

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 7:55pm
That reminds me, the guy who gave us a ride pointed out that Hancock Timber got paid a big chunk of King County tax dollars for their development rights to that property. According to Larry Phillips, Chair of the Metropolitan King County Council, part of the reason for that was so that "This part of the Cascade foothills will remain accessible to everyone". (quote taken from Hancock's own press release http://www.htrg.com/news_09_02_04.htm). It is reasonable for them to charge a maintenance fee to people driving on the road, but not to pedestrians. I am planning to Contact Larry Phillips (larry.phillips@kingcounty.gov) and also my KC council rep to complain about this, and it'd be nice if some other people did too.

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by meryl

That reminds me, the guy who gave us a ride pointed out that Hancock Timber got paid a big chunk of King County tax dollars for their development rights to that property. According to Larry Phillips, Chair of the Metropolitan King County Council, part of the reason for that was so that "This part of the Cascade foothills will remain accessible to everyone". (quote taken from Hancock's own press release http://www.htrg.com/news_09_02_04.htm). It is reasonable for them to charge a maintenance fee to people driving on the road, but not to pedestrians. I am planning to Contact Larry Phillips (larry.phillips@kingcounty.gov) and also my KC council rep to complain about this, and it'd be nice if some other people did too.

Agreed, I would go back for sure if I didn't have to pay for access that my taxes have already paid for.

Print Page | Close Window