Forum Name: Whitewater Forum
Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10574
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 12:25pm

Topic: River Bootay
Posted By: James
Subject: River Bootay
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 3:30pm
Just curious have any of the folks around here actually gone out with the sole purpose of nailing down some River Booty? I should clarify, Gear found at the River.

I was chatting with a paddler friend on the East Coast that was telling me about how they would go out to specific spots on commercial runs to collect river booty after high water or after heavy days of commercial trips.

Does anyone round here do that ?

I need some rafting paddles and I was wondering what spots do folks think collect all the gear?

Replies:
Posted By: water wacko
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 4:40pm
check the dam on the Wenatchee and the beach at Lunch Hole on the Sky. Below Husum, especially at the bridge everyone jumps off of. Deep.

-------------
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman

Posted By: Wiggins
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 4:42pm
No for both interpretations of that phrase.

My personal best scores (might as well keep the euphemisms coming!) have been a paddle on the Skagit after the little rapid at the putin, a intact three piece fly rod in an eddy on the Grand Canyon that is known for collecting river booty, and a missing person in the outside bend after the hole in S-Bends on the Skagit (although that one was technically more of an assist because I told another deputy where the person likely ended up and they found them there).

Kyle

-------------
I smell bacon

Posted By: Jed Hawkes
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 5:04pm
On the Gauley and New we would pick up paddles and the occasional other piece of gear, never done that here. I found a sandblasted carabiner on the White Salmon once, on the New river in WV I found a video boaters camera floating downstream. I'd say your best bet for finding paddles and other assorted gear would be to find out when all the guide trainings are taking place, and then follow them down the river, your sure to pick up something, most likely a freaked out guide in training after flipping at the top of snow blind but maybe something of worth too.

A guide for Zollers on the White Salmon busts out his tanks and dive gear and swims below jump rock, the guage bridge, husum, and below rattlesnake a few times a season. Mostly he finds sunglasses, but occasionally finds jewelry and other items of worth.

-------------
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723

Posted By: water wacko
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 7:14pm
Hey Jed, I lost a Blackie Collins River Master in there.

-------------
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman

Posted By: dave
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 8:27pm
I have collected around 15-20 paddles in the past years, but I always just give them away to rafters at the takeout. What am I going to do with a raft paddle?

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 9:43pm
what are you going to do with a raft paddle???
you just said you give them to rafters at the takeout!!!

Posted By: jon!
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 11:08pm
anyone see my sun glasses, I think I LOST THEM JUST BELOW JUMP ROCK ON THE WHITE SALMON

Posted By: Blair
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 4:54am
I once found a marijuana pipe on the sky. How's that for river booty?

-------------

Posted By: KBfree
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 10:00pm
The biggest yard sale's I've seen have been on the Tieton....    The conbination of the entry level class III and swift water make for epic gear loss. 

Other than rafting paddles I have found 2 river knives with broken clips...

-------------
Kirk B

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2011 at 7:46am
The best river booty I have ever found was on the Wenatchee. Phil pulled a kayak out and drove it around with his tractor, in the same eddy I found a single size 14 croc, then halfway down the run in the eddy at turkey shoot I found the other shoe. I figured I had scored and a few weeks later I returned the boat and found out the shoes were the owners. I was bummed then super stoked because as a reward he gave me a bunch of Stone IPA and let me keep the Crocs. I still have them to this day!

Posted By: Blair
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2011 at 8:43am
Originally posted by James

The best river booty I have ever found was on the Wenatchee. Phil pulled a kayak out and drove it around with his tractor, in the same eddy I found a single size 14 croc, then halfway down the run in the eddy at turkey shoot I found the other shoe. I figured I had scored and a few weeks later I returned the boat and found out the shoes were the owners. I was bummed then super stoked because as a reward he gave me a bunch of Stone IPA and let me keep the Crocs. I still have them to this day!

Yes, and I die a little inside every time I see you wearing them.

-------------

Posted By: dave
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2011 at 11:35am
They are his favorite pair of shoes...

-------------
Nomad

Posted By: Texas Dave
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2011 at 11:51am
I found 2 throw bags in 2 days on the White Salmon last year.  One of them was in pretty good shape.  It was kind of scary how many ropes were in the river that weekend. 

-------------
Dave

Posted By: PowWrangler
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2011 at 11:58am
I wasn't out seeking booty, but I did find a Werner bentshaft in the last mile of flatwater on Upper Nason.   Posted it on here, but never found the owner.  It's ma backup now.

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2011 at 12:00pm
Whoa POW, does it have a dark shaft and a blade on each side? That might be mine 

Posted By: PowWrangler
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2011 at 12:05pm
Why yes it does.  Based on that description, it has to be yours. 

Posted By: jP
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2011 at 10:45am
well, about the raft paddles:
In West Virginia the Powers That Be have it on the books that any paddle you find (with a company's name on it) is technically considered stolen property if you are found with it in your possesion, assuming you didn't return it to them.
Generally if any gear has a name and/or contact info of course a good effort is to be made to return it to whom it belongs.

Then again sometimes there's just some good 'ol river karma involved and only the river can distribute the bootay correctly.

On the Truss during HansFest, I lost the old pogy I was using on my T-grip hand. Later downstream I found another pogy. Inferior in design, as compared to the one I lost upstream, but a pogy none the less! None of the throng came forth to claim a lost pogy. Anyway i still got it. I don't need it- I have another pair.

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Posted By: jP
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2011 at 10:59am

but yeah, most of my sunglasses are river finds. One sh*tty ass pair of sunglasses I found at the put in for the snatch- that translucent, cola-tigerstripe plastic- I liked them but wasn't attached.

Later hanging out by the put in for a different kind of snatch, she ended up sitting on my sunglasses. Despite my insistance that the glasses were found at a launch site, she felt guilty and upgraded my sunglasses.

There's some recent tales of River Bootay for ya

That's the law around here- ya got to wear your sunglasses

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Print Page | Close Window