Events: 2011 Big Air Ramp
Print Page | Close Window

2011 Big Air Ramp

Printed From: ProfessorPaddle.com
Category: General
Forum Name: Events
Forum Discription: Read and Discuss Upcoming Events. Please Post Trips through the Trips Tool.
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10545
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 8:24am

Topic: 2011 Big Air Ramp
Posted By: James
Subject: 2011 Big Air Ramp
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 1:15pm
Over the last couple years we have sported a big air ramp at the PP Ball and this year were looking to continue the theme. We already have a ramp fabricated and all we have to do is rent the scaffolding and transport the required equipment on site for this gauntlet of gravity.

Help us help you.

We need volunteers to meet and or discuss the requirements to make this happen. Please use this discussion thread to help facilitate the Big Air Ramp this year.

Replies:
Posted By: rokmnky
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 1:01pm
The ramp is in my yard in seattle. I can most likely borrow the same trailer as last year which is in tacoma. However my truck cant haul it. We need a truck with a brake controller willing to drive it to and from the site. Last year set up went really quick with plenty of breaks for beer and boating. I expect this year will go even quicker.

The big hang up is the scaffolding. We rented it last year and the ball paid for it. We need to work out where to get it from, pick up, delivery, and payment. I have all the info from last year and will dig it out when I get home and remember.

We will also need people to come up the weekend before to help put it in place. It should take about a day with 5-6 people. I'm down but I cant do it alone, who's with me?

Posted By: tiziak
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 3:23pm
I have to say, I'm suprised here.

-------------
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 3:30pm
Adam, The scaffolding will of course be covered in the cost of the Ball again this year, but we need to make sure we have all the help required. I will put you down on the volunteer list to head up the Ramp plans.

Posted By: water wacko
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 9:46am
Is the ramp the same design as last year?

-------------
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 10:32am
The runway portion is the same, the transition which is what makes most of the difference can be changed or left the same. That will be up to those that want to chip in with Adam. Adam worked like mad last year on this ramp and it is an amazing piece of equipment. So I think that it is only fair that others chip in this year. Adam can help/oversee if he desires but it should not rest on his shoulders, if you want to help out WHICH I encourage everyone to do, contact Adam!

Posted By: Yotes
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 10:34am
I should be able to help out with the setup weekend, but it's too early to tell if that's a sure thing yet.

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 10:47am
If the ramp is a go then I plan on opening up the transition some by reworking the bottom half of the ramp. I'm open to opinions but once it's in place all we can do is tilt it a little like we did last year. May try and come up with some way to help stiffen it up as well. We are fairly limited on stiffness since it's not the most stable place to build a ramp.

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 11:30am
Adam - The ramp is a go. We will find someone to get the ramp over there even if it means that we rent a u-haul or something like that.

Who has a truck that can pull a flatbed trailer? I think I might be able to convince Dave that Raymond handling should let us use the Raymond truck since there are tons of folks coming that work in warehouses like K2, Outdoor Research, Moving Companies etc... Great chance for Dave to call it a work weekend and expense his beer cup!

Posted By: Chuck e fresh
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 5:56am

I would like to help with the design portion of the bottom of the ramp. I may not be at the event because of my new job and baby but, sense I know about building transitions and building different kind of ramps for different sports and why this transition doesn’t really work for kayaking. Especially if you want to go inverted… which I do, and if it is built right, I will.

I would at least like to devote some time to helping Adam out, even if I'm not going to be there. I used hucked off the ramp the first year and couldn't quit get the flip around. From being a spring board diver in high school, and hucking off 60 foot table tops on my snowboard. I can only give this advice for success when performing any aerial moves. 1) approach. speed / technique / surface.2) set up...which in this design allows for no time to set up.( the transition from down to up is too fast to adjust your body in the right position for inversion) for barrel rolls is good though. 3) Trick 4) the landing. If you don't have the right progression you will not make it to steps 3 and 4. I definitely am not knocking the ramp because it is fun but I always try to make things better. I have looked up other ramps they use for kayaking big air comps and the biggest difference I see is  there needs to be at least a four foot to six foot flat spot leading from the down position to the up tranny.

It can only happen with collaboration and work. I have volunteered building many different skate parks in Seattle wood and concrete, I have some background in engineering and Architecture but they bored me.( that’s why I’m a tattoo artist now) I could draw up some plans and schematics if that helps but I think it would be easier if I just hooked up with Adam. So I will try. I'm just busy as heaven I have only paddled twice this year....sad I know but if I can lend a hand I will.

-------------
There's no such word as can't!so stop making excuses!!!!

Posted By: water wacko
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 6:25am
I'm down to help. I was on the Clack-fest ramp last year and it had a sweet transition. No flat spot, just a larger diameter arc at the bottom with the 'up' part at the end not being as 'tall' as the PP ramp. I couldn't tell ya the radius of the transition, but it feels nice. It doesn't feel nice to land on your side from 15 feet above the green water, though.

-------------
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 7:18am
Chuckles for shure hit up Adam I am sure he would love to hear your thoughts!! Maybe we can pick a date to get together and discuss ramp designs.  Who is your boss, I will write a work pass to get you off, we need our chuckles!!

Brett your right, every ramp I have seen for paddling has a really low angle tranny and that makes a huge difference. Perhaps you would care to help adam too!

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 7:34am
Just replied to chuck's PM. When he and I find a time that works I'll post up for anyone else that wants to come along and put in their $.02. The ramp is at my place in georgetown so we can just meet at my house and play with it in the yard.

Posted By: dave
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 10:23am

My new ride should be able to tow any trailer! We would have to put gas in it though...right now it costs $120.00 to fill the tank and I would imagine it will take at least a tank and a half to get there and back....This truck is sure sweet though!!!!

-------------
Nomad

Posted By: Blair
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 12:18am
Originally posted by dave

My new ride should be able to tow any trailer! We would have to put gas in it though...right now it costs $120.00 to fill the tank and I would imagine it will take at least a tank and a half to get there and back....This truck is sure sweet though!!!!

get out of here with that humpty dumpty bullsh*t!

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 7:28pm
So I have discussed this with a few of the Ramp planners and here is what we have.

Next week 3/22 or 3/23 in georgetown. The ramp is at Adam's house so first step is to make sure that Dave, Chuck and Brett + any others interested can make it over there at some time on one of those days. If you have a prefered time please PM me so I can help coordinate. We are going to discuss the transition (angle, length) frictionless material, and assembly/transportation.

Please if you are willing to help come out and discuss it, beers will be provided and input appreciated!

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 9:51pm
I would like to come out. I belive I am free on either day. Tuesday after work will work for me (the 22nd).
Just name the day and time and I will be there.

Dave

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 4:02pm
Ok time and date are set. 6:00pm at Adam's House in Georgetown on 3/22 next tuesday.

If you need directions to Adam's place please PM him.

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 4:17pm
oki doki

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 23 May 2011 at 11:03am
Check out the Ramp This year.

By far the best year yet, this thing is a launcher and your going to love it !!!!

See ya out there!!!!

Date Posted: 23 May 2011 at 4:07pm

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 23 May 2011 at 5:51pm

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 23 May 2011 at 5:51pm
I cant get you tube link to work....

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 23 May 2011 at 5:52pm
http://youtu.be/nNgwJAQo7fY?hd=1 - http://youtu.be/nNgwJAQo7fY?hd=1

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 23 May 2011 at 7:24pm
Get Pumped!

-------------

Date Posted: 23 May 2011 at 7:28pm
http://youtu.be/cQ6g3661VHo - http://youtu.be/cQ6g3661VHo

YouTube video posting didn't work for me neither...

-------------

Date Posted: 23 May 2011 at 8:33pm

You can't insert it with the youtu.be

Date Posted: 23 May 2011 at 8:36pm
Oh and Dave you need to learn to edit those videos down.

And just FYI the ramp will feature side supports/safety walls, they were just not up in this video.

Date Posted: 24 May 2011 at 1:18am
Originally posted by James

Oh and Dave you need to learn to edit those videos down. And just FYI the ramp will feature side supports/safety walls, they were just not up in this video.

Dave just learned what email is, give the ol guy a break.

-------------

Posted By: septimus prime
Date Posted: 24 May 2011 at 7:10am
love the teaser. great job with the timing on the duck.

-------------
Jon Shell Bee

Date Posted: 24 May 2011 at 8:49am

I know how to edit video, I just dont have a program to do so with right now. Unless you would like to give me a decent program to use? I havnt found one I like yet and dont want to spend $500 on a good one.

-------------
Nomad

Posted By: up4air
Date Posted: 24 May 2011 at 9:25am
I was lucky that I forwarded the vid right to the point where you got to the top and swore out loud :). Climbing up there is no joke! Last year, the nose of my board came up suddenly while my body stayed in its downward trajectory. It was a little painful and I'm wondering if there's enough of a difference that whatever law of physics I was hoping to violate wouldn't apply again.. (The board is hard plastic and about 3' long with no rocker. Google Rip Boards if you're curious.)

-------------
More water, please.

Posted By: apexskier
Date Posted: 29 May 2011 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by dave

<element style=": progid:DXTrans.Microsoft.name(sProperties);">

<a href="css_styles/default_style.css">

Originally posted by James

Oh and Dave you need to learn to edit those videos down. And just FYI the ramp will feature side supports/safety walls, they were just not up in this video.

</element>

<element style=": progid:DXTrans.Microsoft.name(sProperties);">I know how to edit video, I just dont have a program to do so with right now. Unless you would like to give me a decent program to use? I havnt found one I like yet and dont want to spend $500 on a good one.</element>

Window's movie maker or Mac iMovie work just fine.

Posted By: apexskier
Date Posted: 29 May 2011 at 7:29pm

During the ramp competition earlier today

Posted By: bjamieson
Date Posted: 30 May 2011 at 11:28am
Hello all,
The photos my dad took at the ramp competition yesterday are at this link:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150195123297709.310416.616707708
Enjoy!
Brian

Posted By: kurle
Date Posted: 31 May 2011 at 8:43pm

Huck Tower Vid:

Good work to all of the competitors and volunteers!!!

Posted By: septimus prime
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 8:14am
Nice vid, Kurle. Love the music choice.

-------------
Jon Shell Bee

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 9:05am
Kurle that video was awesome. Your video production skills have increased significantly. I mean your ability behind the lens and pc have been "haulinass"

Print Page | Close Window