Forum Name: Whitewater Forum
Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10377
Printed Date: 18 Apr 2024 at 11:19pm

Topic: Snow kayaking
Posted By: Courtney
Subject: Snow kayaking
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 8:47am
I saw this on Kinf 5 News this morning.  Let's do it!!

http://www.king5.com/on-tv/evening-magazine/Snow-Kayaking-113456664.html - http://www.king5.com/on-tv/evening-magazine/Snow-Kayaking-113456664.html

Courtney

Replies:
Posted By: James
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 9:22am
That guys laugh was off the hoook.

Posted By: jtemus
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 9:43am
I liked how they kept playing it over and over throughout the clip.

Posted By: jella
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 12:30pm
awesome!!!! 

Posted By: GHannam
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 2:40pm

Glad it's getting some publicity-- I've heard people have been kayaking on snow for years.   Seems like it would be a little harder on your body though-- you don't have anything to catch impact except your back, and you land flat on your butt... *YIKES*!

Love that guy's laugh too. It's one of those laughs that makes me laugh

Posted By: Blair
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 3:57am
Did evening magazine have to make kayaking seem some 80's? Not so extreme to me anymore after watching that.... yeesh

-------------

Posted By: Larry
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 10:09am
GHannam wrote

"Seems like it would be a little harder on your body though-- you don't have anything to catch impact except your back, and you land flat on your butt... *YIKES*!"

Done it a couple times, landed no more than 3-4 feet of air on semi packed snow and killed my back. Need alot of deep soft snow as that is the only thing to cushion impact, unless you install shocks/springs under your seat. Still alot of fun.

Oh yeah, don't come to a full stop upside down, much harder to roll.

Posted By: Shaun
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 10:25am
I have been doing that for over 10 years.  Can be hard on your back unless you are in deep powder, but you have much more control than you would think.  Lots of fun. 

Once I was afraid of hitting a tree, so I sat on the back deck so that I could bail if needed.  Turns out, I hit the tree before I was able to bail.  It moved me forward and pinned my legs against the forward end of the cockpit rim (small cockpit, race boat).  From that, I learned to always do this completely in the boat instead of half out.  That hurt.  Bad.

Posted By: Hisdudeness
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 3:10pm
we cal that class II kayaking in nevada

Posted By: LisaF
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 8:03pm
Have only done it on the way to the river (ie, hike in to upper sultan in snow) . . . though I'm not sure why I was the ONLY one to put a helmet on before launching into the snow!

Print Page | Close Window