Professor Paddle: SRK Jan 17th show vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Events
 Professor Paddle : General : Events
Message Icon Event: SRK Jan 17th show - Event Date: 17 Jan 2008 Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
Yotes
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Daddy Dutch Oven

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Yotes Replybullet Posted: 17 Jan 2008 at 1:16pm
I wish I could make it. I read about this one on Oregon Kayaking and I've always wanted to hear more about it (and see the pictures). Too bad I'm stuck on the other side of the mountains.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Willy
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote Willy Replybullet Posted: 17 Jan 2008 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by James

I don't think I have ever seen a steersman that doesn't look or act like a CIA agent...
Really though... where were you racing... Suez Canal?

Coxswain, James. Get nautical, this is a boating site. Uh, right?
On the Nile, two races in Egypt. Pretty cool memories. Got more pics somewhere with donkeys and camels.
Ruby Creek Boathouse LLC
Eddyline, Stohlquist, Bending Branches, Esquif, Skwoosh Cushions, Costa Del Mar shades, Danuu, CRG Rec Repair, Pakboats, YakGrips
http://rubycreekboathouse.blogspot.com/
cronar
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote cronar Replybullet Posted: 17 Jan 2008 at 1:45pm
Yeah it's amazing what people accomplished before the Internet just because they wanted to get out.  Jon you used to boat before I met you?  That's crazy.  I don't believe it.
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 17 Jan 2008 at 1:52pm
""Got more pics somewhere with donkeys and camels. ""

Err, uhh,  yeah right. 

Anywho, 

Edited by newtobin - 17 Jan 2008 at 1:52pm
Sure?
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 17 Jan 2008 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by cronar

Yeah it's amazing what people accomplished before the Internet just because they wanted to get out.  Jon you used to boat before I met you?  That's crazy.  I don't believe it.

Time for you to get off the internetz and get back to work Nick.
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 17 Jan 2008 at 4:47pm
jalmquist sold me my first boat in 1991 and used to work at Pacific Water Sports! He help me learn to boat with some great advice and also sold me some good books to learn by. I tought myself to boat and he encouraged me while others were telling me I was going to die! I almost did die a few times, but I'm ok now!
Nomad
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 18 Jan 2008 at 10:28am
Just wanted to say what an excellent event this was. 

The history of our sport is often clouded in myth and rumor -- nowadays we've got digital cameras, tiny camcorders, blogs, LVM, etc.  Back in the day, some truly amazing trips were undertaken, and this is just one of them. 

It was a real treat to hear more about this trip.  The My Everest tale on Rackley has long been a favorite of mine. 

I particularly enjoyed learning about the boating, Whaley made it sound like such a worthless logfest, where Sprague really made it sound like a quality run with steep price of admission. 

In any case, utmost respect for the skills, effort, and overall success of the mission.  Zero carnage, no close calls, and a sick flow on the GCE to get out. 

Damn impressive.  Thanks for the show Sprague, and SRK. 

SYOTR

Edited by slickhorn - 18 Jan 2008 at 10:31am
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 18 Jan 2008 at 11:50am
I second all of that Brian...

That show was really interesting and all I can say is that was a wicked mission that makes everything I have ever done look like a roadside run in my backyard.

I mean there were 2 side missions longer than any boating trip I have done... and those were just missions to support the main mission. I don't really get the ski boots still but that just made it that much crazier!!!

Sprague... thanks that was awesome ...
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 18 Jan 2008 at 6:18pm
They were mountain climbing boots, not ski boots. Need solid boots to kick steps in steep snowfields.
Nomad
Willy
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote Willy Replybullet Posted: 19 Jan 2008 at 1:50pm
So I emailed Sprague to thank him for coming out, and included a link to this discussion since he's not a PP member. I got this reply...
-------------------------
Bill, Thank you again for the warm reception at the show.

I enjoyed the blog
[He means PP].  One of the entries mentioned Thunder Creek.  I dug up my notes and we ran it on 1 Oct 1995.  It was a great run.  If anyone cares, I am happy to share my notes.

I forgot to ask his name, but a guy at the show was interested about some of the creeks in the Park that we had not run.  I now have more information if he asks.

In general, I am happy to share whatever information I have to anyone interested in heading out into the unknown.  SA

Sprague Ackley
hsackley@cs.com
-------------------------------------
This man is a real adventurer and a terrific resource to our community if you want to check in with him. Happy paddling - bw
Ruby Creek Boathouse LLC
Eddyline, Stohlquist, Bending Branches, Esquif, Skwoosh Cushions, Costa Del Mar shades, Danuu, CRG Rec Repair, Pakboats, YakGrips
http://rubycreekboathouse.blogspot.com/
PaulGamache
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaulGamache Replybullet Posted: 19 Jan 2008 at 2:47pm
Thanks for posting that Bill, I was trying to pick Sprauque's brain about what he hadn't run in the area but had to run since my ride was leaving.

Thanks again for the slideshow.
Paul
27/320 & 1 bootie
imageAK
McNasty
McNasty

Quote imageAK Replybullet Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 3:38pm
Wish we had more intrepid folks modern day to carry those tales along and share them... seems a lot of solid information has been lost to the randomness of how its shared on the web. Or not...
Missed opportunities like this slide show that happened before my time... would love any old links or tales anyone has to share about exploring in WA...old or new

Edited by imageAK - 16 Jul 2021 at 3:42pm
aint nobody got time for that!
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 8:09am
You really went to the cellar to dig this thread up.

Well, ask and receive. Here's the blog of a friend of mine (the website was closed down many years ago, but still archived at wayback machine) that documents a 2nd decent run on the upper section of Canyon Creek Stilly, one week after we had done a pioneering trip on the SF CC that ended with us hiking out and stashing our boats, then hiking back in.

http://web.archive.org/web/20050405003815/http://www.snoqualmie-river.com/adventures/archives/000028.html
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version