Professor Paddle: Thunder Blunder vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Run Submissions & Gauge Discussions
 Professor Paddle : Site Support : Run Submissions & Gauge Discussions
Message Icon Topic: Thunder Blunder Post Reply Post New Topic
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Online Status: Offline
  Quote James Replybullet Topic: Thunder Blunder
    Posted: 22 Aug 2010 at 1:47pm
Well folks I hate to be the bearer of bad news but our late season hiking reason just got hammered. I will let Matt post the video of what hes got from our recent trip but here is the heads up. If you head out to thunder treat it like an exploratory, Don't go in there thinking you are gonna find the same sweet quality either. It can still be considered a fun summer thing to do, but it is not the same run.

Several new landslide style rapids choked full of mank were created. Chopsticks was deflowered missing several feet of vert from these landslides so it is now like 3 -4 feet tall instead of 6-7. Keep your portage shoes on cuz you will use them with 3 or 4 portages between Trials and Dim Sum. Dim Sum is no longer that tasty double treat but instead a little beat down room. First ledge is steep with a fat little hole at the bottom - 2 boaters, 2 beatdowns, the second ledge has wood but its runnable. Wood in the palace, and Mandarin ledge is gone, a uber nasty ledge has replaced it. The run was so trashed that we got out early figuring that Triple Trust might be dangerous with just two boaters and limited light. Remember that hallway is totally boxed in so if you go in there be sure to take rope or something because all of the canyons in there were falling apart and I am sure the same is true for the last one.

If you go in figure on more changes and wood. Bummer in the Summer
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Force
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Force Replybullet Posted: 22 Aug 2010 at 3:38pm
Hey James, Did you do thunder last year? A few of those sounds pretty similar from what we saw a year ago.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 22 Aug 2010 at 3:43pm
I did get out there last year also, I think these are even newer changes, when did you go last year? There were a few changes last year when I went around July, but alot of stuff has gotten even worse. The canyon out there is pretty young and loose so it changes alot. Did you take any photos of your trip last year?
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 8:46am
whoa, that is a bummer....  guess I will be waiting around for the 'new and improved' version due out next summer, that is if mother nature cleans up the mess in there....
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 8:50am
I am certain it will clean up 

I would suggest that other folks get in there and make periodic updates, I'll wait... for the confirmation
Force
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Force Replybullet Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 11:21am
We were probably in there later july 09 and mid august 09. The quality/runability also seemed pretty dependent on the level. 
Kiwi
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Kiwi Replybullet Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 12:47pm
bonerkill
kurle
McNasty
McNasty

Quote kurle Replybullet Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 9:31pm

Here is some video of our run.  Just after chopsticks you can see some of the new thunder chunder...
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 10:30pm
The video makes it seem pretty much what it was like last year when I went in with Force and crew in late july last year. The drop after chopsticks was the same save for that piece of wood or whatever that is circled in the video. One member of our party had a similar line there as in the video, save the successful recovery.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 7:59am
That was not wood circled, that was me!!! lol

Was there a landslide rapid right below Chopsticks and a land slide rapid just above trials? What about the madrin ledge?

Would you go back in there with the current condition Ellingferd?
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 8:59am
I dont remember trials and I dont think there was a landslide below chopsticks so that has probably changed. It was high when we were in there as well, like 1300. I remember thinking I wasn't too stoked on coming back, but I would probably go in there again if it was in the same condition.
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 9:00am
I take that back, I forgot trials was the big one up top. No landslide above trials.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 9:13am
Yea so there are certainly new changes. There is now a small landslide rapid above trials but it is navigable not a biggie but the old rapid was better / more fluid.  Right below chopsticks there is a new landslide rapid that we portaged in a multi pitch effort. It had no visible line though that I could see. Right below that was another landslide rapid but it was boatable. 
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version