Professor Paddle: Potholes Reservoir? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Potholes Reservoir? Post Reply Post New Topic
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Scott_H Replybullet Topic: Potholes Reservoir?
    Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 9:17am

Please don't flame me too hard for a sea-kayaker-ish post, but has anyone paddled the Potholes Reservoir? 

Looking to get out with my better half this weekend with a canoe laden with food and beverage and the prospect of 80+ degrees and sun while on cool water sounded too tempting.  It looks like you can put in and then paddle around and basically find your own sand dune island (hundreds of them) to hang out on and build a bonfire in the evening.

Trying to see if there is a better put-in than the State Park - looks like there are some gravel roads that you could access the quieter parts directly.
“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Larry
Super Looper
Super Looper
Mr. Generosity

Quote Larry Replybullet Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 11:47am
It's been many years, but we accessed it by a long washboard gravel road. I don't remember much about it except Kirk falling asleep in a raft right on the bank so a group of us were able to lift the raft and gently shove it into the reservoir in the middle of the night. He woke up the next morning in the middle of the lake without a paddle. I think everyone camping anywhere near the reservoir could hear him screaming. He was PISSED! The rest of us are still laughing.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 11:57am
Yo dude- as long as I'm around here, I'll make sure this site is at least a little Sea kayaker friendly- after all- we live in one of the best zones in the country for sea kayaking, arguably THE BEST. Anyway, don't ever feel bashful about posting non-whitewater related stuff here. Yeah, we are primarily a whitewater paddling site, but all paddle sports enthusiasts are welcome for sure.

And as sh*tty as most people's basic paddling strokes are, more people could stand to hop in a sea kayak (or a canoe) and focus on forward paddling. People these days never seem to believe me, but paddling flatwater (for long durations) greatly enhances your whitewater paddling and your enjoyment of it. Leave the Cartwheels and other crap alone once in awhile...

anyway that place sounds cool- enjoy your time out there.

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 4:23pm
I spent lots of times up on those island as a kid... yes it is defintely a cool place for what you have in mind. Depending on how high the res is at the time you can go for miles and miles in there. A GPS and map would be handy, it's a big place. If you launch from the State Park you'll have probably 2 miles of open water to paddle until you get to the islands. The first islands you'll come to are flatter... the really cool ones with big dunes are further in (north). Have fun.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version